• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

SeaWorld Orlando: General Discussion

It's nothing more than a cynical ploy to allow them to put smaller numbers on their signs in an attempt to deceive customers.

... and I've always hated US policy of excluding tax from prices. Just tell me how much each item is actually going to cost me.

Even worse is what they are charging for lockers at Aquatica. $30 for small and $50 for large based on current exchange rate that's £25-£42. Compared to Disney and universal who charge between $8-$15. Will be sticking with Volcano bay and typhoon lagoon this trip where can also manage with no locker as can just take magic band to Disney and leave wallet and phone behind.

Seaworlds food has always been expensive and more so than Disney and Universal prices- its designed to encourage guests to buy their all day dinning package. Although park tickets are cheaper than Disney/Universal, but you would expect that anyway.

Oh it gets better. I’ve just been reading that they’re also getting sneaky with other hidden charges.

Apparently when you rent a locker in the parks it’s $10 for the day, and you can use that across all the rides. You go to the machine, select the locker you want, set up a PIN to access it and pay with your card (much like locker systems at other parks). However, if you look down on the screen there’s a little checkbox that’s enabled by default which will sneak another $10 onto your card for a Quick Queue ticket for that attraction! You have to specifically opt OUT of this extra charge. Someone has said that, in fairness, if you query it with a receipt at the shop they will refund it, but even so, it seems underhanded at best!

Thread here from the Dibb if anyone wants to read more, but the shadiness going on at the SEAS parks with these little charges is pretty shocking:

I have had enough with current management and I’m far from the only one. The stream of new rides coming in is exciting and all, but these practices are indefensible.

With both Disney and SeaWorld shaking every possible penny from their guests, Universal is the clear choice when I come to renew a pass at the end of this year.

Have they laid out their strategy on earnings calls etc ? I understand they want to do less with animal displays but volume of new coasters seems to be disproportionate.

Have they laid out their strategy on earnings calls etc ? I understand they want to do less with animal displays but volume of new coasters seems to be disproportionate.
They haven’t done a proper strategy presentation, but the strategy is essentially to add as many marketable rides as possible for all eternity as far as I can tell.

Build as many marketable rides, and don't mention the whales.

It must be a worrying time for them though. When Volcano Bay opened, it didn't seem to have much of an affect on Disney's water parks, but it put a real dent in Aquatica's attendance. One suspects that Epic Universe is more likely to hit Sea World and Busch Gardens than any of the Disney parks. At least as far as Orlando's concerned, they're presumably hoping to build the kind of rides that Disney and Universal don't build, which is thrill coasters. Although Velocicoaster, Cosmic Rewind and the Tron Coaster are all major thrill coasters, and Epic Universe is going to have at least one thrill coaster. Disney and Universal aren't going to make it easy for them.

I think Sea World are currently making the best choices that they can, as far as new rides are concerned. Whether it'll be enough remains to be seen.

It seems the largest stakeholder in SeaWorld are trying to squeeze profit out of SeaWorld lazily, which in these sorts of entertainments business' never go well. Realistically if SeaWorld carries on like this it will end up in deep financial trouble and probably bankrupt. They clearly don't have the money to add these big new coasters and are trying to find extra cash. This is a similar strategy to Six Flags before they went bust.

I don't pretend to know very much about how they're funded to guage how sustainable it is in real terms, it just feels a bit off. They will always be the chain I am kind of 'meh' about, irrespective of what they build.

I think a real conundrum for SeaWorld in Orlando is that Disney and Universal continue to expand their operations to the point where for domestic guests in particular, if you have a 7 or 10 day stay you can probably fill the bulk of your time with one chain's offering or a cocktail of the two if you're flush. I am not convinced there is as much room for a third as there once was.

I think that's a more difficult proposition for SEAS as time goes on. Not helped by that trek down I-4 to Tampa being heinous.

I've booked a fairly last minutes Florida trip for September. Staying at Universal, will do their parks and some of the Seaworld ones. No plans for Disney in a 7-night trip.

Its interesting to look at the prices at the moment for tickets from the UK.

Universal is £301 for 14 days, 3 parks with park-to-park access. A bit pricey as will probably only do each park once, but OK.

Seaworld is more complicated.
Discovery Cove (without Dolphins) is £180 including SeaWorld and Aquatica or £199 with Busch too. Includes free parking at all parks too
or Seaworld, Busch, Aquatica for 14 days (with parking) is £153
or One visit (so three days total) to each of Seaworld, Busch, Aquatica with all-day-dining included is £141 (but need to pay parking).

They really do seem to be pushing the all-day dining. But £141 for three theme/water park days with food feels like a great deal compared to Universal!

(Disney is £480 for 14 days, but that gets you six parks and photos included).

Food prices at the Florida parks do seem to be a bit crazy at the moment, most burger and fries is now $15+ and with the drop of the pound/dollar rate it looks even worse to us. The way Seaworld are doing it seems even crazier, just put the price up by 5% rather than a weird surchage.

I'm not a financial expert, but they've got over $2 billion debt, which sounds like a lot to me. Whilst shareholder statements have to be factually accurate, they're not an impartial view of a company's finances.

Just to add the park looks great and better than on my last few previous visits (2016 and 18) and feels well maintained, despite covid it’s good to see to see how investment outside new rides taking place. It’s great to see the park busy, however ride queues are perfectly manageable, max waited 20 mins.

Icebreaker was good and better than I expected (except the restraints). A ride like this would suit Drayton manor very well, something similar from vekoma or Mack would be great.