• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
In one of the films about it I remember the letters being shown and the suggestion being made that marketing were trying to play people along? Unless I'm mistaken and thinking of another instance? :p

You're mistaken.

It's in 'the magic factory' and the letters were supposedly sent to Andy Hine by a mysterious enthusiast who thought he had information relating to Oblivion that he was keeping from the 'normal enthusiast'.

any one got a stencil and Andy Hine address, ;)
Sorry evil of me even to think about it.

Towers freak said:
From the "Wooden Spector" if I remember correctly
I wonder if it was the peg leg pirate from mutiny bay, writing them :D

anyway, marketing. I dont think we will hear anything about SW7 from marketing dept until the deafening shouts of flogging stuff for Christmas ends.

We'll find out the name around Christmas/New Years time.

We found out TH13TEEN's name on the 11th December 2009. And we found out Sub Terra's name on the 31st December 2011.

So I reckon that's what's next.

:)

Stevie said:

We found out TH13TEEN's name on the 11th December 2009. And we found out Sub Terra's name on the 31st January 2011.

But when was Oblivions name released because this is following the same kind of marketing strategy?

Stevie said:

We found out TH13TEEN's name on the 11th December 2009. And we found out Sub Terra's name on the 31st January 2011.

Do you mean December, Stevie? ;)

Regarding marketing, I think it'd be quite slick if some very believable adverts were to appear in women's mags promising a solution to make you automatically become happy at an institution at Alton.

Perhaps very subliminally have the #getcorrected hashtag to engage viewers, but seeing as Alton is 'Alton Towers' in the public's mind, it should still do the job. Maybe even trick the Daily Mail into believing an institution is genuinely offering this sort of therapy for some free PR. Just a thought that popped into my head.

...as you were. :p

What's wrong with just saying "we have a new ride"? A good coaster doesn't need marketing BS to make people want to ride it.

DiogoJ42 said:
What's wrong with just saying "we have a new ride"? A good coaster doesn't need marketing BS to make people want to ride it.

A good coaster alone is no guarantee of good attendance figures as Walygator found out. The average park goer can't tell the difference between good ride hardware and bad. One park could install an SLC clone and another a custom B&M invert but if they both have the same advertising campaign, why would any more people show up to ride the B&M?

If you want to get people through the gates, you need to create a memorable brand and spread it. You need to make people believe that it's something much more special than the average ride opening. This is one of the few things that Merlin excels at. Their marketing campaign for the Swarm was excellent and although the operation was let down by the ride side of things, Thirteen's marketing campaign certainly got people to the park.

It's only once you've attracted people to the park with your amazing campaign that buying the B&M and not the SLC pays off. People ride it, like it, tell their friends and return for many years to enjoy the ride. There are so many parks out there that have a world class coaster but lack the marketing skills or financial clout to get people to the park to ride it.

Revealed! :)

image.jpg

image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg

image-4.jpg

Oh, and thanks to Johno for the link!

Yes. This was why the ride was rumoured to be behind time over the Summer.

I don't understand why they don't start construction sooner? Disney start building their attractions as much as two years before it is due to open. Alton know there are going to weather and construction issues so why not start them earlier?!

I'd imagine its something to do with the fact Alton Towers opens for business in the summer months and closes in the winter months. It sort of creates a deadline for which the job has to be done.

Disney on the other hand, with its year round opening lets them plan things out a little more. For example, Test Track at Epcot has been shut for reimagineering over the summer, something that many of those going to Alton Towers would not take lightly - if the park is only open for a few months, they expect to be able to get on everything!

The luxury of year round opening allows Disney and other parks to make their own deadlines other than the 1st April.

rightbackgranty said:
I'd imagine its something to do with the fact Alton Towers opens for business in the summer months and closes in the winter months. It sort of creates a deadline for which the job has to be done.

Disney on the other hand, with its year round opening lets them plan things out a little more. For example, Test Track at Epcot has been shut for reimagineering over the summer, something that many of those going to Alton Towers would not take lightly - if the park is only open for a few months, they expect to be able to get on everything!

The luxury of year round opening allows Disney and other parks to make their own deadlines other than the 1st April.

Thats all very well but it doesn't answer the question, Alton aren't re-themeing / revamping the attraction, they are building a new attraction. The Park closing for the winter has no effect on the rides construction therefore it doesn't answer the question of why don't they start construction sooner.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.