• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Nick said:
The hole is probably only there to lower the station, so it can't be seen through the trees.

I don't thing any deep pits would be inside the station, and even if they are, it'll only be a tiny amount:

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/upload/PublicAccess/REV%20station%20plan%20&%20elev%20(39854).pdf

We know from the plans though that it won't be seen above the trees, but without something happening in the station there would be absolutely no need to dig down THIS far for any type of station.

Although if the 'hole' is not underneath the station, I am stumped at what it could be for.

(i would love to see where the hole is with relation to the plans)

Even with a saw-esque station (indoor section) there is no need to dig down as I think the station on the plans is of similar size (above ground) to SAW's already. Plus, if the station is underground, there would need to be a THIRD lift hill.

Saying that, my modified prediction (guess,) is that the 'indoor section' is at the end of the outdoor (opposite to SAW) and the ride ends at a low level, hence the excavation, then some sort up upwards launch, back up to 'track level.' Think Th13teen, only the opposite way round? Positive G's instead of Negative? Just an idea... Would that be worlds first?

Seeing this really has got me excited & has me speculating on a lot more possibilities for this ride now.

Attached are four images from the planning files, first two showing the elevation looking up the site from the bottom, near to where the old BH exit used to be. The first image shows the "existing" elevation, i.e. the BH tent, and the second of course the proposed...! Interestingly, the ground level hardly changes, with the only real excavation being the slight widening of the lower ground level to the right.

The existing and proposed elevations also show that the ground floor of the station building will be at the same level as the BH tent ground level.

The third image shows a side elevation, with significant excavation. the whole measures approx 3.5 metres deep and approx 15 long to allow for the dip before the Cobra element, which is taller than an average storey on a building. I guess they would need to dig deeper than this in the first instance to allow for a foundation level.

The fourth image shows the cobra element, with the entrance and exit track being some 15 metres apart.

Therefore, if they are not planning to infill the bit between the cobra entrance and exit, a hole some 3.5 metres deep and 15 metres wide will need to be dug. the length of the hole will vary because of the slope but will extend some 15 metres. This is significant excavation, and i think representative of what is being shown in the pictures.

Using a laptop and adobe reader so couldn't measure that accurately if anyone wants to correct, but should be near enough!

I2SObh.png

KCMNCh.png

MOVK3.png

uG8FZ.png

Depth of hole is obviously for the section which goes below the level of the ground and its deeper to accommodate the foundations for the footers.

Anyone remember a while back when i said to you guys that track is arriving september 1st ? Well i've just been informed that as work is a little behind at the moment, track arrival date has been pushed back by a whole month, i'am pretty gutted as i had my hopes set of seeing track within the coming week, however it's hardly suprising looking at the site in it's current state. :(

so they are creating a new lower point of land level? I hope they organise some drainage then, as x-sector is known to have flooding issues already due to the angle of the land and elevation.

Unless SW7 is having a water splash down.

RyanYoxall said:
What I meant by upside down loop was something like this:

7844924080_637294a420_c.jpg

Obviosly it would have to be controlled by brakes/magnets for most of it but it would count as a world first wouldn't it? And there could be all sorts of affects taking place when your at the bottom of it. :)

That's what I meant! :p The G-force would be intense! (Perhaps the G-force is the SW7 world first!) The ride photo would be hilarious, everyones faces all sloppy and stuff!

Well the weather hasn't been what I would call great has it? I can see this being a rush to get finished come next year! Maybe we will get a cold winter, which might sound bad, but at least will make the ground hard and workable unlike the giant mud bath it is at the moment.

They used the weather excuse for Thirteen. If they use it again they'll show us exactly how clueless they are. Once is acceptable, but if they let the weather get in the way AGAIN then it's a frankly embarrassing lack of planning.

But is there much they can do? They start with a basic idea of how long it will take, they add a few extra days on to that in case something goes wrong. They can hardly predict one of the wettest summers on record can they?

Blaze said:
They used the weather excuse for Thirteen. If they use it again they'll show us exactly how clueless they are. Once is acceptable, but if they let the weather get in the way AGAIN then it's a frankly embarrassing lack of planning.

Yes, damn those constant days of heavy rain and thunderstorms... How dare they not work in conditions which may be unsafe when using heavy machinery and shifting mud and dirt... Lazy workers, don't they know they have a bunch of enthusiasts to please?

Why are people panicking now? God, we have several months and no doubt the park might have got some weeks spare from the time-frame set for the construction... Might just be a close run thing later regarding the details and fencing...

Anyways, if it IS a Gerstlauer, those things seem to go up quicker than a piece of LEGO...

All I hope is that it is opened complete - if its not ready on opening day then don't open it. Get it finished, get all the effects etc etc working and give people the proper experience from day one, no more Thirteen's or Sub Terra's which have to be finished later in the year please Alton Towers....

As for it being delayed, its understandable given the "summer" we have had and I dont think its very fair to critise Alton for being behind when they have had no control whatsoever with regards the weather conditions!

I expect they'll be able to claw back a good chunk of time during track erection. Look how quickly Saw went up. As for extra stuff like the theme and landscaping, I think Alton got enough of a backlash with Sub Terra to make them wary about opening this sub-standard.

I'm sure all will be fine. :)

Im sure that track construction will go smoothly. However, I am a little concerned that there appears to be no work on the station. Considering there is believed to be a fair amount happening inside the station, I would expect to see at least a shell by now...

I'm slightly skeptical about if this will be finsihed on time I have to say. Thus far no footers have been poured, and landscaping groundworks are still going on. They're going to have to get a move on and get some footers in before long else I can see it being too cold for them to work with cement.

Th13teen had the advantage with track construction that it was on fairly simple ground (Rather flat), whereas this looks set to be built all on hillsides. As soon as snow and ice settle on the hillside it's going to make moving around the site and construction a nightmare I reckon.

If we have a harsh winter I really am uncertain this will be finished on time for the date managment will probably already have in mind. All we know so far is March if I recall correctly. Unless serious progress is made I will be interested to see if the ride does indeed open in March (Even at the very end of the month) and if the ride opens in a completed and signed off form. For gods sake don't let this be another Sub-Terra!

They were cutting things very fine with Th13teen to the point there was still construction machinery all over the site hours before the ride opened. According to Mark Kerrigan when he spoke to us they had learnt from that and were going to be keeping a much closer eye on this project. So far I'm finding that a little questionable though.

The only thing is we have no idea of time scales Towers are planning here, Th13teen had a stupid winter to work through and it basically didnt work so Intamin had to bodge the ride hence why it didn't open for the preview event. Based on memory i'm fairly sure Saw didn't get interesting until september and that had a similar station building. Once the footers are down track fly's up and most of the theming will be made off site and dropped in place.

It may be behind schedule but its hard to say without a schedule, and the planning application stated construction wouldnt begin until September.

This project is running later than Saw did back in 2008/2009.

Track for Saw started to go up in the first week of September, by which time footers had obviously been in place. The track for Saw did go up extremely quickly, however.

Hopefully, we'll see workpace step up a gear very soon.

:)

It's taken little time to dig up the amount of land they have. So I can see footers going down in no time - and we all know by now coaster construction is quicker than ever these days. So hopefully that should not take too long.

My only worry is the station construction, as well as theming and the time it will take for the site to be signed over to Alton.

I think December will be the time to worry if the project has not come along well.

I imagine with each job, either by the park, the manufacturer, or the construction company, they figure out ways of building the ride slightly quicker for next time. Theoretically, a ride with a similar level of complexity should be able to be built quicker each year.

However, it would be a great advert for the ride, if they have track visible as soon as possible. :)

Really cold weather is ok as long as you have the footers done. Snow ob the other hand makes it bad

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.