• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Exactly. I wouldn't mind them coming out and announcing SW7 opening date as 1st May for example to make sure they have lots of time to get the ride completely ready for when it does open. And that is exactly what would happen over in the States, in fact it would probably be even later. They won't do this though for various reasons, and to be fair they are reasons that I fully understand. I just hope it doesn't result in a rushed or incomplete final product.

:)

Rita didn't open fully until 1st April, and that wasn't opening day...

Easter is at the end of March next year, I'm sure they would want it open for Easter...

Dean said:

Easter is at the end of March next year, I'm sure they would want it open for Easter...
Fair point, Dean, but Rita - whilst being a major installation - wasn't a secret weapon.

Re: Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Jonathan said:
Dean said:

Fair point, Dean, but Rita - whilst being a major installation - wasn't a secret weapon.

And what does a ride having an SW tag have anything to do with opening date?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Surely a Secret Weapon would have a greater expectation to open on time, seeing as it's a bigger - and important - installation.

I don't think the public would care whether its a SW or not, just that its a roller coaster, I bet people complained that Rita didn't open March. They wouldnt even know what an SW tag is.

Itll try to open in march. But thats not because its a Secret Weapon

Jonathan said:
Surely a Secret Weapon would have a greater expectation to open on time, seeing as it's a bigger - and important - installation.

And therefore they should take their time with it and apply perfection before opening the ride, not after. I'd much rather be given a completed product somewhere in April/May than a rushed job that will inevitably receive negative views from the GP.

As Valve always say if a product is late is late people will get annoyed until its released, but if its rushed and terrible on realease its terrible forever! :p

Surely Rita and co weren't classed as Secret Weapons because towers management were trying to get rid of their magical past at the time, not because they're not as important to the business, even if the SW investments are more significant and just.. better?

Tom said:
I believe that Alton Towers do not want the track to be seen by the public at all and that we will not see anything before the end of the season.

There is absolutely no cause for concern whatsoever and I think that the chances of it not being ready for opening day are extremely remote.

Now the slashing of effects/theming, now that could be a different story....Air/Thirteen/Sub-Terra anyone?

I can assure you we are going to see track, 2 weeks into October :)

I'm pretty sure that this ride will be running on opening day, as has always (presumably) been planned.

We criticise Merlin/Alton for a lot of things. But they're pretty damn good at sticking to construction schedules. They're not like a lot of the American parks, which unprofessionally push back opening dates. If they're a month behind, they'll make it up, even if it means working through the night.

Alton are very, very good at this, and I can't think of a time where a ride opening has been delayed, even if it means opening it without all the theming entirely finished (Sub-Terra). That's fine with me, as long as the rollercoaster is running, it's much less important than it would be with a dark ride. This will be ready for the park opening, even if it means the finishing touches being added the night before. Have faith. :)

The difference with Rita is it was a late decision to build, and was never planned to open at the start of the season. Whilst SW7 is still rushed, they at least started with good intentions to open on time, and hopefully they'll see that through

Interesting debate going on here, but a specific date in March has not been given as yet. There are 31 days in March so in theory they could still open the ride on the 31st and be correct in what they are stating.

And why when i see the logo do i see the cat from Alice In Wonderland!!

Let me have a think through past instillations:
Sub Terra - rushed, awful first product to open on first day
Thirteen - rushed, poor first half of the season (if not a little longer)
Rita - had a poor first season and opened later on
Air - first season was appalling

I think only Nemesis and Oblivion are the stand out major attractions that were ok come opening, nemesis wasnt new technology and Oblivion had a very long construction timetable.

--

I hate half completed efforts and its one of my biggest criticisms of Alton. Yes they can meet a deadline but at the cost of a fully finished experience. For guests that visit once a season and might go for the new ride opening what is that displaying to them?
Also while as enthusiasts we might know there is more coming the general public don't they get a ride where perhaps the hardware is working, but there are thematic elements missing and the ride hasnt had a chance to settle in properly and the staff to get used to it.

Id sooner they wait and advertise it as a late opening, using the time to advertise it more on park and offer the bounce back tickets as an option to come back and ride it, to get more people to return.

I'm hoping I'll be surprised and it will open, fully working, themed and completed in March - but history and personal experience tell me not to get my hopes up.

It will open March 16th the day the park opens, providing there isn't any major set backs, which is possible but i can't see it happening myself. Since when did Alton Towers miss out opening a new worlds first attraction after the start of season ?......Never, and they won't start now :D

*bangs head* That was my point.

I was saying they rush to open and dont always get the best result, Id sooner they take a while longer and open a finished better quality product

With such a huge rollercoaster, that'll clearly rely much more on the track-and-train than the theming (compared to Th13teen, or Expedition Everest), I don't mind at all if they open it before the theming is completely finished, as long as the actual rollercoaster and any special features are all fully operational.

The actual bulk of the ride experience, the hardware, will all be in place, so not having all the theming there won't affect the ride experience too much. Not enough to make it worth delaying anyway. Unlike something like Sub-Terra, which clearly shouldn't have opened in the state it did. :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.