• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
DiogoJ42 said:
Sorry, that wasn't aimed at anyone. I meant the video. I can't stand those obviously faked "real" reactions. You normally see them on the kind of film trailer that tells you nothing whatsoever about the film.

Fair enough :)

As for the name, something around smiling would be fine, it would be unique and a little creepy

I really like the branding that they have created for this ride so far, however the face isn't really scary at all and naming it "smile" or similar would be naff - just like that video.

Interesting how the style of the advertisements have kept the modern/futuristic look but the colours used have almost completely changed from the original SW7 banners six months ago.

:)

CoasterCrazyChris said:
I really like the branding that they have created for this ride so far, however the face isn't really scary at all and naming it "smile" or similar would be naff - just like that video.

Interesting how the style of the advertisements have kept the modern/futuristic look but the colours used have almost completely changed from the original SW7 banners six months ago.

:)

Scary is subjective though, I'm not going to run away screaming but it does have a certain creepy nature to it which I quite like. The video is quite good too though these things are normally more aimed at news outlets than guests to get the likes of Metro writing about Scarefest.

On the subject of the colours changing, does anyone else think that the idea for the theme may have changed over the past six months, and the fact that the colours have changed is a possible sign of this? Just an idea that I've come up with.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

I don't think it will have changed but it might have evolved, if the whole government research concept as suggested by the Scaremaze is correct then the DNA strands had relevance. They are just now started to tease what will become the "brand".

If I remember what was talked about from the Th13teen evening talk, when those banners were produced they almost certainly wouldn't have nailed down the fine details of the theme and the way the ride is branded. They will have just stuck with the more familiar X Sector colours to reinforce the overall atmosphere the ride will be themed around.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
As long as we don't get that dirty concrete grey box or any shipping containers everything should be good...
The station will disapoint you then ;)

I have the privilege of going on a marketing trip with my school at the start of the season to Alton.

We got told about the new coaster this year, and the formatting of how they would do it. We basically got told nothing would be revealed about the 'World's First Feature' until the first people ride it, they also said generically they want this ride to be a mystery in itself, which i'm guessing would hint at a late name release date.

I hope this doesn't mean they are replacing old Renny though, that man single handedly started my fascination for oblivion, the sheer terror he portrays in the que line videos are immense, I do hope he replicates this if he does have some involvement in SW7.

DiogoJ42 said:
CoasterCrazyChris said:
As long as we don't get that dirty concrete grey box or any shipping containers everything should be good...
The station will disapoint you then ;)

I know, but the marketing suggests a modern theme which provides a shred of hope they may alter the finishes.

Oh well, I guess we will have to anticipate another Air/Nemesis and Rita/Th13teen situation.

GEEK WARNING

just to pop back to the video.

The ambulance they use is a preserved ex West Yorkshire service Ford transit base with Hanlon body. reg year 1982. current owner unlisted on the preservation site i use.

Well they rented/loaned the tank for sub terra then kept it (i think) not to mention the army vehicles Nemmy used to have, so to extend to an ambulance isnt beyond the realms of happening.

I don't like the idea of the use of the word "Smile" in the ride name at all, I'll admit - despite its sinister connotations in the right context, it does feel too generic. Without a degree of uniqueness in your name, it's an uphill struggle to build any brand, especially one that needs to reach national prominence within the next six months.

The critique of Thirteen's name, by Jeremy from Roller Coaster Philosophy, came to mind when reading this thread though:

Roller Coaster Philosophy said:
We first run into the (admittedly rather pedantic) problem with the coaster’s name, Thirteen (or “Th13teen”, depending on how much of a nerd you are), which I cannot in good conscious accept as anything other than the results of a poorly run focus group that recommended it based on the average maturity level of the tossers who would frequent this attraction. As a noun it lacks concreteness, and it’s never clear if the first thing we should associate with the term is a superstitious roller coaster or any of the other thousands of uses numbers play in our daily life. I understand there’s supposed to be an intangible mystique surrounding the theme, but there are still so many better options out there to choose from. “Surrender”, for one, at least is a verb that allows for the vagueness of application that doesn’t work as well with a hard object reference noun.

In that he suggests "surrender" as a better alternative to Th13teen which is on the same wavelength as using a word around Smile for this coaster (obviously depending on the theme)

I find Jeremy often thinks to hard on roller coaster philosophy, so have started to ignore his articles.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Dave said:
In that he suggests "surrender" as a better alternative to Th13teen which is on the same wavelength as using a word around Smile for this coaster (obviously depending on the theme)
A better alternative but not necessarily a good alternative. He does say "at least it is a verb" implying it's not great but at least it has meaning.

What always surprised me about Th13teens name reveal was how Alton’s blunder turned out in their favour. I remember when the name was first leaked, people were pissed. But then Alton realised they'd released it to early so went around all the sites and made them take it down so they could properly announce it the next day. When it was actually announced everyone seemed to have just accepted it and responded with either:
"I've slept on it overnight and it's grown on me"
or
"I'm sure it'll be relevant to the rides theme" (< which it wasn't so let’s be careful using that argument for SW7)

I still stand by my initial view that it was a poor name but at least I've been able to laugh about it since. When you think that Busch opened their own version as the awesome sounding Verbolten it shows how much more creative Th13teens name could have been.

Fredward said:
Tbf Verbolten, just means forbiddon in German! ;)

Not saying Th13teens a good name...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Almost, it's Verboten.

It's a slightly more clever play on words than sticking a number in the middle. Verboten as you pointed out to mean Forbidden (which is a good meaningful word anyway). Then an l added to make Bolten because it sounds like a lightning bolt which is one of the rides themes.

I know it's still a case of a Marketing department messing around with words but at least Verbolten has both hidden meaning and sounds really interesting.

ps. If you think Jeremy over-thinks things I actual have a check list for how to come up with a good ride name that I've been adding to since 2007 :p

Th13teen is a good name, if you ask me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.