• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Dar said:
morgano said:
The track type and footers are exported from nolimits so will not represent the actual footer positions like for like.

The construction is following the plan still btw... hopefully this will help a few people (including myself). I had a close and drew this, it works out good.

P8FAF.jpg

Click here for full size: https://i.imgur.com/P8FAF.jpg

I'm not sure ??? There looks to be more footers in the red section of your sketch than on the plans? And like I said in my last post, the ground level markers on the plans seem consistent across the area so I think we're getting an underground bit where you've marked red and then the bits on the plans above it.

Or something like that! :p

HOLY CRAP!!!!

If that cobra roll/batwing is underground that'll be fantastic. Not only will it look incredible, it'll be a great experience for the riders.

I think this must be the case, if the ground level is to remain the same.

Just look at Colossus' cobra roll, and I'm sure you'll agree it looks fantastic.

thorpe-park-u80p135t1265049640cmtq8z.jpg

But then... the more I think about this, with SW7's dip underground then cobra roll... sound similar? :p

Still, not complaining.

Hold your horses :) it won't be underground. Only the orange section will be underground (under the shop). The of the Batwing/Cobra roll approach will be similar to that of Colossus, a dive down lower than ground level (through a trench) then the cobra roll will be above the trench.

With the batwing interlocking its going to be ULTRA sexy and a lot more compact than Colossus.

Great to see that track has arrived! The first lot of track came on a lorry from Lithuania and that lorry has now left. There are also 2 lorries from Slovakia in the coach park so it would be fair to assume that these also contain track.

I will be on park tomorrow for potential updates! I'd imagine track may now arrive on a fairly regualar basis.

:)

What Nick said is what I've been thinking. I think that diagram posted on the last page or so demonstrates the point.

Anyway, track. About time!

And to think some of you thought it wouldn't be tri-rail...

morgano said:
Hold your horses :) it won't be underground. The approach will be similar to that of Colossus, a dive down lower than ground level then the cobra roll will be above the trench.

With the batwing interlocking its going to be ULTRA sexy and a lot more compact than Colossus.

I'm saying, that like Colossus, the lead in to the cobra roll and batwing could be underground- so above the underground parts, there will be space for people to walk under the inversions. If there was just a trench, then you couldn't walk there. Also, the plans suggest that the ground level is pretty flat- so again, the track should go underground. Finally, the dip before would be a bit boring without a killer headchopper, so why not have one.

And I agree, the interlocking batwing/cobra roll will look orgasmic.

If they are building to the plans then surely the footers are part of the plans and would be placed as they are shown?

Tim said:
Seriously?! You are comparing build quality based on the type of track?

Th13teen uses bi-rail track because the trains are so light and the forces aren't high enough for them to waste additional materials in making a track that is more bulky than necessary. track quality has nothing to do with it.

Yes, by and large. Because like you said, tri-rail track means heavier trains. And as a general rule of thumb, the heavier rollercoaster trains are, the better the build quality. The world's heaviest rollercoasters, B&Ms, are almost universally regarded as having the highest build quality.

Compare that to the cheap crappy Th13teen trains, where you can literally wobble the front of the car with your hand. Everything about Th13teen feels utterly flimsy, whereas hopefully everything about this will feel well-built, solid and durable. :)

Re: Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Dar said:
If they are building to the plans then surely the footers are part of the plans and would be placed as they are shown?

Apparently the plans aren't accurate because they were made on NoLimits. Regardless of that, there's too many footer placements in the pit than would be needed to support the elements shown on the plans anyway - I don't think the plans are at all representative of what we will see come March.

The Psychoaster said:
Dar said:

Apparently the plans aren't accurate because they were made on NoLimits. Regardless of that, there's too many footer placements in the pit than would be needed to support the elements shown on the plans anyway - I don't think the plans are at all representative of what we will see come March.
Yeah, that's what I was trying (and failing!) to get at. :)

It's no good saying the track will definitely be as shown on the plans, only to then turn around and say the footer placement is irrelevant because it's just a NoLimits export.

If one of them has to as per plan then the whole thing has to be as per plan.

IMO ;) :p

Sam said:
Tim said:

Th13teen uses bi-rail track because the trains are so light and the forces aren't high enough for them to waste additional materials in making a track that is more bulky than necessary. track quality has nothing to do with it.

Yes, by and large. Because like you said, tri-rail track means heavier trains. And as a general rule of thumb, the heavier rollercoaster trains are, the better the build quality. The world's heaviest rollercoasters, B&Ms, are almost universally regarded as having the highest build quality.

Compare that to the cheap crappy Th13teen trains, where you can literally wobble the front of the car with your hand. Everything about Th13teen feels utterly flimsy, whereas hopefully everything about this will feel well-built, solid and durable. :)
But if anything, Thirteen is too smooth. That's the opposite of bad build quality. It's very well put together. Being light doesn't make it put together badly.

The Psychoaster said:
Dar said:

There isn't too many, the interlocking Cobra Roll and Batwing is going to require some strange footer placement.

The more i look at the site the more i feel the plans will have changed somewhat (intentionally or otherwise), legally they can because the Track is under a GDO so doesn't require planning permission. The dimensions of the building and the Spider thing needed the permission as buildings dont come under the GDO.

Nice to see we got the delivery week correct after months of speculation, and a big thanks to Ellie for getting us that first picture before the Roving Reporter (Mike) was dispatched... its a well thought out organisation you know :D

Time will tell i suppose.

Sam said:
Tim said:

While that can be true it has more to do with the company in question rather than the weight of the trains. B&M are amazing engineers who happen to build heavy rides. They are not amazing engineers because they build heavy rides. A perfect example of a ride that bucks this trend is Blue Fire. Great Build Quality but really light trains.
Plus most of the old Vekoma's way a tone and we all know what their build quality can be like :-\

Personally I don't find Th13teen's trains flimsy but I understand what you mean. On the outside they have a basic outer shell which isn't very firm, but internally the important elements are solid as a rock. As much as we moan about Intamin’s track record (which I’ll fully admit has some shocking mistakes in it) they can normally be relied upon as one of the best manufacturers.

morgano said:
The Psychoaster said:
Dar said:

There isn't too many, the interlocking Cobra Roll and Batwing is going to require some strange footer placement.
...but based on the plans there are too many footers there. Throwing the rest of the plans into doubt.

Dar said:
morgano said:
The Psychoaster said:
Dar said:

...but based on the plans there are too many footers there. Throwing the rest of the plans into doubt.

The footers in the plans are based on a totally different ride type (not Gerstlauer) therefore are not accurate.

Design a world beating rollercoaster and you could win the opportunity to be amongst the first to ride the Resort's newest ride when it opens in March 2013!

Put your science knowledge into practice by designing a ride, taking into account forces, gravity and energy. All designs will be judged by a panel of rollercoaster experts at the Alton Towers Resort. The winning design will receive an exclusive ride for their class on the Resort's newest rollercoaster when it opens in March during National Science Week.

The deadline to submit your entry is 14th December 2012

http://www.altontowers.com/schools/nati ... ompetition

All entries must be received by 5:00pm on Friday 14th December 2012. The prize is an exclusive ride on SW7 for 35 winners, including teachers, during National Science Week in March 2013. All winners must be at least 1.4m tall or more to be able to ride SW7. The winner of the competition will be notified Friday 11th January. Travel expenses are not included within the competition prize.

Interesting... Nation Science week is (18th to 22nd March).

Also confirms again the 1.4m height restriction.

Great pictures, well obtained to the photographer!

I have to say it seems like they've made no steps towards improving track fabrication and I'm expecting this to be as rough as Saw.

Tom said:
Great pictures, well obtained to the photographer!

I have to say it seems like they've made no steps towards improving track fabrication and I'm expecting this to be as rough as Saw.

Saw really is a bad egg for Gerst, Speed isn't smooth but nowhere near as bad as Saw and its an older ride. Other newer Gersts like Anubis all seem to be very smooth and that uses the same track.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.