• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It's from Martin Handley's twitter and was taken from a low flying aircraft, there's a link on the previous page.

I have a good feeling Submission and Enterprise are due for replacement in 2014. Wouldn't be surprised if Kerrigan's talk (the slide saying 2 new additions in 2014) was eluding to the polishing off of X-Sector. Just a theory :)

Joelio said:
I have a good feeling Submission and Enterprise are due for replacement in 2014. Wouldn't be surprised if Kerrigan's talk (the slide saying 2 new additions in 2014) was eluding to the polishing off of X-Sector. Just a theory :)
Interesting theory, Joelio. It's possible, of course, and the more I think about it, the more it seems to make sense.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Joelio said:

2014 is a family year though and rumored to involve an area re-theme.

And come on - can you see them spending £5million plus on new thrill flats right next to the massive thrill ride they built the year before?

I have a bad feeling Submission and Enterprise will be kept until they bleed try and are on the verge of completely giving up. Oh wait, that already happened, at least with one of them. I do certainly agree with you Joelio - they definitely are "due for replacement" but I think it will be a while yet.

Dave said:
Joelio said:

2014 is a family year though and rumored to involve an area re-theme.

2014 has got to be a retheme of storybook land it's an embarrassment for a park of Altons stature.
Maybe 2015 but I think we need more flat rides not replacements. Anyway sorry off topic.

I didnt bother taking any photos today as the site looks very much like it did a week ago. Work is still going on with the sub station I belive.

Do you think their going to leave those last three tent supports there as a reminder of the BH.

BigT said:
Do you think their going to leave those last three tent supports there as a reminder of the BH.

I'd imagine they have been left for a good reason, I highly doubt that it has anything to do as a reminding of Black Hole. I'd imagine they need to stay up for a bit longer before being taken down when major work begins, or that they are being used in SW7 in some way.

:)

They'll be gone at some point. It's rather unlikely they'll be used as theming pieces, I think. I assume there's a practical reason for them staying so far, but even if they were going to be kept they'd have to be taken off the construction site at some point anyway.

BigT said:

"In 2005 the blackhole was hit directly by cosmic rays. The track started to change, so the ride was closed until they could find out what was happening. then in Mid 2012, it bust out of the original tent. growing and expanding. Changing into a new, bigger, outdoor layout.

In March 2013, it stopped and became the ride SW7, the only original parts of BlackHole are 3 tent supports in the middle of the rides queue area. "

sorry just went went off into a daydream there :D

delta79 said:
BigT said:

"In 2005 the blackhole was hit directly by cosmic rays. The track started to change, so the ride was closed until they could find out what was happening. then in Mid 2012, it bust out of the original tent. growing and expanding. Changing into a new, bigger, outdoor layout.

In March 2013, it stopped and became the ride SW7, the only original parts of BlackHole are 3 tent supports in the middle of the rides queue area. "

That's proberbly better than the intended theme! Ha ha bloody brilliant.

Great day at Alton today, lots of work has been done since my last visit 2 weeks ago and it now seems ground works are well underway. Hope you all like the photo's guys :)

DSCN0654.jpg

DSCN0653.jpg

DSCN0652.jpg

DSCN0651.jpg

DSCN0650.jpg

DSCN0649.jpg

DSCN0648.jpg

DSCN0646.jpg

DSCN0645.jpg

DSCN0644.jpg

Not sure where this should go, so I'll hazard a guess that it should go here.

Ever since SW7 first became known to enthusiasts, there's been a lot of talk about how the site is too small for a Secret Weapon and how with such a small footprint, it could never live up to either other SWs at AT, or other rides of note from recent years.

For me, I think this has all been based upon an incorrect assumption about the compact size of Black Hole and its tent, rather than being objective about the scale of the area Black Hole was contained within and within which we now found ourselves looking as 2013 looms closer.

I thought I'd take a look at two things - both the SW7 site and the relative area taken up by a few major AT/other park rides. It does make for interesting viewing and in my opinion ends any talk of the site being too small.

All images are of the same scale. Please note Black Mamba was not built at the time this image was taken so an approximation of its area was taken.

Apologies if there are too many images here...

X Sector with other rides overlaid:

Area with SW7 plans:

Area with Blue Fire:

Area with Nemesis:

Area with Oblivion:

Area with Rita:

Other rides with SW7 overlaid:

Dark Forest with SW7:

Nemesis with SW7:

Anyway, sorry for being controversial, but I really think that when you take the Black Hole tent out of the equation and look at the whole area, including above the toilets (world's first coaster built above toilets?), that we really do have a site that's every bit as able to host a genuine, large scale SW as any site before.

:)

I posted this in another thread, but is better suited here.

Quote from: BigT on 09 Jul 2012 at 22:25 PM

Ok, it may not be in keeping with the theming but i do enjoy a back story.

marky.com said:
Area with Oblivion:

Oh god, TWO Submissions? :eek:

With regards to the small footprint, Alton have clearly proven once before you don't need bags of space to make a world class coaster as proven by a certain Nemesis, and I am damn well hoping they follow this tradition again next year. And with the themeing in the footprint as well, you have to give credit where it's due. Until the themeing is scrapped due to budget cuts of course.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.