• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
They have the power to run both arms already though? They can't run 2 because they only have one full set of working parts (I believe).

They would never need to run both arms though I can't imagine.

I must admit though, it would be great to walk down into x sector. See sw7 on your right, a spruced up oblivion on your left, submission with both it's arms going and enterprise erect! *wet dream*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both sides do work as im sure they rotate the operation of them so one has a break whilst the other ones in use. Correct me if im wrong though.

As far as I was aware, both sides do work but there is never the demand for using both. Therefore they are rotated in order to keep running costs down. Having said that, people often say that one side is always broken or that there isn't enough power available to run both... I have always thought that it was down to the lack of popularity for the ride though.

Zak said:
Both sides do work as im sure they rotate the operation of them so one has a break whilst the other ones in use. Correct me if im wrong though.

Both sides used to work, but from what I can gather the rear arm has been cannibalised for spare parts for the front one. Next time you're in X-Sector have a look around the back. It doesn't look too healthy :p

Given Chance no longer exist outside of Chance-Morgan odds are they don't produce parts for this model anymore, making it much more cost effective to sacrifice the one side for the other, as custom built parts would probably cost more than the ride is worth. You hear of parks doing it with coaster trains sometimes, where one becomes the donor for another.

I did hear once the price for a new gearbox of Submission, and while I can't remember the exact figure, it was probably more than the ride is actually worth these days. It'll probably be the next Boneshaker; as as soon as anything big goes on it the ride will be scrapped or sold on.

Was it not said some years back though that even if the power supply was sufficient for both arms to be ran it was not possible as the braking system simply couldn't cope with both running together anymore?

Regarding Submission, I remember hearing a while back that the reason why they don't run both sides any more is that they don't sync properly. Whether this is true or not is another thing entirely.

Regardless of if it'll be used for Submission or not they could do with a new Sub-Station so fingers crossed that is what it is. Also it can very easily be made to fit X-Sector's theme so it is a good place to have one.

A more important thought is whether this sub-station near enough confirms that SW7 will feature at least one launched section?

To be honest the whole parks electrical systems are probably on maximum capacity, SW7 will massively increase the power demand in the area whether there is a launch or not so i doubt we can read too much into the presence of a new Sub-Station.

On the topic of Submission, I thought the reason they don't run both arms are that:

A) There isn't the demand

AND

B) They have problems parking them both when they both are in operation

I think you may also be right about using the unused one for spare parts.

Looking good so far, cannot wait to start seeing footers and track arriving. :D

Both sides definitely work - been on the side facing oblivion track (the "unused side") a good few times in the past year or so. Runs much, much, faster than the usual side. Makes the ride slightly worth doing.

The most common explanation for not running both sides is it struggles to park with both sides running. Anyway Submission is a tad off topic :D

I wonder if they will put a whole new feeder line into the sub or connect to the one from the existing sub, if the old feeder has the capacity that is.

Does any one know what size (in Kv) of the feeder that goes to sector X current sub?

With this amount of rain hitting us could this be a concern for construction issues? As in the ground becoming to soft or even too muddy?

Zak said:
With this amount of rain hitting us could this be a concern for construction issues? As in the ground becoming to soft or even too muddy?
It snowed for TH13TEEN!

They should be fine, and are usually prepared for situations like this.
I'd imagine that they'll cover up any areas in danger, or would have a few days to spare so that they can let the ground harden and continue work.

I guess it depends on how long the rain continues for. Hopefully it won't have too much of an impact, else we may well have another Splash Landings on our hands :p

Once the landscaping is done and the footers are down their shouldn't be too many problems, as putting the track together is one of the quicker tasks. However, if they are going to have to start excavating the hillside, and digging any pits the weather could pose a slight issue, as obviously when the ground is wet it becomes soft, so there's a greater risk of the ground moving around while they work on it.

Fingers crossed it'll be sorted soon and they can start pilling the footers and cutting into the slope :)

It is possible to put footers into very soggy ground, as I've recently discovered from a new bridge that is being built across the River Mersey.

13702114.jpeg

You use one of these, which takes up quite a bit of space, but is very fast!
The footers are built into sand which is submerged when the tide comes in, and thus is very wet and soggy.

So, if the worst happens and they can't drill the footers in the usual way, they still have back up options!

Interesting... But those things tend to be used exclusively for bridge building when there is a large depth of water between the surface and the river/sea bed. I don't think something like that would be usable for a project on dry land such as SW7. I'd be happy to be proved wrong though, but hopefully the weather won't get so bad that such a thing would even need to be considered.

Yes, you can put footers in soggy ground (How'd you think they built some water rides out there before? :p ) but it's not the footers that are the main issue. As the plans show, they are going to be cutting into the hillside, and will no doubt need to put in a new retaining wall to hold it back. If they try and do that when it's too wet the ground will simply all slide out of position and all over the place. Then they've got the fun task of rebuilding the hillside to do :p

Saw the site today, looked pretty much the same as on the previous picture - although some more excavation appears to have taken place on the far side of the site closer to the entrance to X-Sector. Would have taken a few pictures had it not been for the horrendous rain and the fact that my phone SD card was corrupted :/

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.