• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Smiler?

If that is accurate then I detest it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I just don't think any rollercoaster at Towers deserves a name as unoriginal as one with the definite article in it.

In the context of the theme, it's a fitting name. In the context of all the other coasters at the park, it's weak and does not sound quite right.

The more I think about this...

X-Sector (modern, fantasy, off bounds to the public)
Oblivion (scary, modern, ride of no return, looks imposing)
Submission (again scary, a ride that will control you, looks impressive (when working!!)
Enterprise (ok, everyone knows it well old!!)

Then we have.... The Smiler. Ummm, is it just me, or does this not really fit in with the overall "feel" of X-Sector. Its like putting a ride called "Brain Smasher" in the middle of Old McDonalds Farm Yard. In fact, "The Smiler" sounds like it would be better suited to Old McDonalds Farm!!!

GaryH said:
The more I think about this...

X-Sector (modern, fantasy, off bounds to the public)
Oblivion (scary, modern, ride of no return, looks imposing)
Submission (again scary, a ride that will control you, looks impressive (when working!!)
Enterprise (ok, everyone knows it well old!!)

Then we have.... The Smiler. Ummm, is it just me, or does this not really fit in with the overall "feel" of X-Sector. Its like putting a ride called "Brain Smasher" in the middle of Old McDonalds Farm Yard. In fact, "The Smiler" sounds like it would be better suited to Old McDonalds Farm!!!

I agree Gary ...the name just does not sit well !!! it is not a name for a new 18 million pound coaster that is bringing another world first to the park.....the name needs to be more sinister and designed to make you feel intimadated even before you dee the coaster !!! The Smiler suggests to me a kiddies ride.....!!! not liking the name at all if it is the actual name I hope that they have just trademarked the actual logo and not this as the name !!!

I'm still not convinced this is the rides name, for a start i doubt anything that requires the name to be finalised has been created yet (signage ect). So even if it was the name if i was towers i would change it now :D

I don't mind it, there are worse names out their and it has as much meaning and context has Nemesis has to a B&M Inverter in a big hole.

I think this is the name for the rides icon. The Lord of Darkness' new associate? Or the creepy smiley? I highly doubt the ride name but if I am wrong then it does sound acceptable. A bit ill fitting to the x-sector but sinister and fitting to TMOJ. I like it. It has grown on me.

I don't mind The Smiler as a name. It's not great but it's not bad either and I definitely think it will grow on people. It does sound a little sinister which I think is a good thing, and clearly the whole of SW7 is going to be a facility run by the MOJ to make you smile. Therefore calling it The Smiler works as The Smiler does sound like a device to make you smile.

My main issue though is the use of the word "the". The Smiler does sound a lot better than just Smiler. However, I would rather them have chosen a name that does not require "the" before it. Things like Nemesis, Oblivion, Th13teen etc work really well as just one word, and for me a name with one word like that is just so much stronger than say The Smiler or The Swarm. And I do agree that The Smiler doesn't seem to fit in amazingly well with the other coaster names on park. "Come to Alton Towers in 2013 and ride Nemesis, Oblivion, Air, Thirteen, Rita and new for this year, The Smiler". It's ok, it could have been so much better.

:)

Could this be related to SW7/the smiley face logo? http://www.ipo.gov.uk/ohim?ohimnum=E10696193

The whole happy, smiley name though ties in great with the whole concept of the Ministry of Joy (see George Orwells book 1984 - There were four governing Ministries and each one contained the opposite of what its title suggested - The Ministry of Love for example was concerned with punishment and torture - its a given the MOJ concept is based on this) Im just not sure how well 'The Smiler' rolls off the tongue although it does sound sinister....were just not used to it yet I guess!

Dave said:
I don't mind it, there are worse names out their and it has as much meaning and context has Nemesis has to a B&M Inverter in a big hole.

You gotta admit though that "Forbidden Valley" and "Nemesis" do go together. If anything "Air" is the stupidly named one in that area!! Maybe thats Alton's new plan - place a stupidly named ride in each section. Dark Forest already has Rita!!!!!!! :D

The application went up in June which is why i am reserving judgement on the validity of it being the name for the ride. Often the ride names are finalised quite late into the planning process (often during construction).

We will see

As much as I wish it was the logos name I'm not entirely sure it is.....surely its logos and images that are copyrighted rather than trademarking a logo description if that makes sense? For example I imagine Olivions logo is trademarked somewhere but has anyone ever seen it having a name?

Some construction photos from Today.

This track is dangerous and needs to be kept away from the other track.
P1020937.JPG

The Other track
P1020943.JPG

Construction site From the Toilets
P1020948.JPG

Some Trenches at the top.
P1020951.JPG

The hole.
P1020953.JPG

Looking up from the hole
P1020954.JPG

They are draining the water out at the moment
P1020957.JPG

Overview from 'blivs queue line.
P1020960.JPG

TowersTimes on Facebook said:
The TT Chopper has taken to the skies today over Alton Towers - and we have some amazing photos of the SW7 construction. As we are at the Fireworks tonight - Photos shall be uploaded tonight or at the latest tomorrow.

I lol'd.

NastyPasty said:
I can't believe they've actually done that. Surely it breaks some kind of law for pilots?
AFAIK, no law is being broken, but it's clearly not within the spirit of the marketing campaign.

GaryH said:
You gotta admit though that "Forbidden Valley" and "Nemesis" do go together. If anything "Air" is the stupidly named one in that area!! Maybe thats Alton's new plan - place a stupidly named ride in each section. Dark Forest already has Rita!!!!!!! :D

Gary, that made me laugh mate hahaha.

stretchy said:
Some construction photos from Today.

This track is dangerous and needs to be kept away from the other track.

That also made me literally LOL! Why is it fenced off lol?? Who knows, comment of the day for me thought that was ;D (still chortling now!)
DoubleOh7 said:
As much as I wish it was the logos name I'm not entirely sure it is.....surely its logos and images that are copyrighted rather than trademarking a logo description if that makes sense? For example I imagine Olivions logo is trademarked somewhere but has anyone ever seen it having a name?

From what I recall of seeing logo's trademarked associated to brands, I seem to remember them being called a "Device" - So rather than being just known by a name, it usually is the description of the device, that's why for me it's odd to have no more details other than just "The Smiler" as it is so generic.

I don't know I just refreshed up on Trademarks a bit, and I'm none the wiser I have to say. Only in so much as it has to be strongly representative to be able to obtain a TM.

It is possible on reflection that it could be they're all aligned somehow, the device being representative of the ride, in name and design, and therefore potentially quite a strong TM.

Everyone with me? Good. Me neither ;D

You don't think that we could see the return of products, such as Nemesis drinks, for SW7, hence the trademark, do you?

Just a thought...

They're slowly taking back the food establishments aren't they? I cannot see why they wouldn't play on it with concoctions too - you can make a fortune from those, as Universal know full well ;D

I actually wish they did more things like that to be honest, so long as decent effort was put in to it.

The chopper pictures will be useful - however much people might mock them, everyone's going to look at them. Granted, it might "ruin" the secret element for everyone but is that really such a bad thing? Most GP won't look at this forum, and those that do will discuss it through spoiler tags anyway, with or without pictures.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.