• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Selected rides opening from 11:00am - Reversed

Great news as I'm off down tomorrow! Stupid management it is really, word of mouth travels fast and one person will probably be getting 10 different stories on how Alton are making cuts!

Sent from my X10 using Tapatalk

oldgitben said:
From TowersStreet News:

Alton Towers reverse late ride openings.

Just over a week since TowersStreet broke the news that several of Alton Towers attractions would open an hour later than the rest of the park we can reveal that the decision has been reversed.

For 5 days the following attractions did not open until 11am: Air, Th13teen, Duel, Skyride, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Wobble World, Battle Galleons and the Driving School.
At present the only attractions which will open at 11am are the Flume and Congo River Rapids, as has been the case for several seasons.
TowersStreet members were critical of the move which was believed to have been introduced as a cost-saving measure.

The reasons behind the reversal has not been confirmed, however it is believed to have been a strong negative reaction from the public. This is not the first time this season a controversial decision has been overturned, initially Enterprise and Submission were going to be closed for several months and the sky ride faced closure on off peak days however both of these decisions were changed late on.

I'm glad the have reversed this decission. I can see why there was such a string negative reaction from the public, infact most of us predicted it.

On paper the plan seemed like a good cost cutting excersie, however when you actually thought more about it you began to realise the major impact and implications it would have on people looking to make the most of their day.

It is however a great shame that this wasn't realised in the first place. They only thing that now plays on my mind is:

Where else will these cuts not be made?

The way I see it is Merlin say "You need to save money, you must not open some rides till 11am", Towers then say "that wont work, the guests wont like it" Merlin say "Do it", Towers do it, and it fails with negative reactions, but I also think Towers secretly want it to fail to prove a point, then its a bit of "we told you so".

I don't actually think Nick Varney and the cronies at Merlin would particularly request that Alton save money in x,y or z ways. Alton would surely come up with a proposal to save money?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

It's the decision of Ian Crabbe, who is the park's manager - or Divisional Director as Merlin like to call it.

He is the sacred "Alton Towers management" people keep referring to.

If he is 'divisional director' then he is still above the general level of Towers management. He will be in charge of the theme park division of Merlin surely? Therefore he will be requesting cuts across the parks from a 'Merlin' point of view only then for the Towers management to show him the public backlash?

Their decision to backtrack has disappointed me somewhat. Lets face it, Merlin are struggling and cuts need to be made somewhere. I'd much rather have later opening on certain rides, than watch Merlin go bankrupt and drag down our beloved Alton with them.

Every way that they are trying to save money sparks outrage amongst the general public. Don't get me wrong, of course it should (we pay for a service so we should get it), but cuts definitely need to be made somewhere.

I wish Merlin would make up their minds and stick to a plan instead of causing disruption here, there and everywhere with their constant backtracking.

The irony of all this is that, in retrospect, closing Submission and Enterprise for a year would have been the least offensive option.

A park should be able to run itsel. If parks are not viable, then Merlin should move on and let someone turn them around.

Benedique said:
Their decision to backtrack has disappointed me somewhat. Lets face it, Merlin are struggling and cuts need to be made somewhere. I'd much rather have later opening on certain rides, than watch Merlin go bankrupt and drag down our beloved Alton with them.

Every way that they are trying to save money sparks outrage amongst the general public. Don't get me wrong, of course it should (we pay for a service so we should get it), but cuts definitely need to be made somewhere.

I wish Merlin would make up their minds and stick to a plan instead of causing disruption here, there and everywhere with their constant backtracking.

I think its far from the fact that Merlin are struggling and are going to go bankrupt. The logical explanation here is that people no longer have the disposable income to spend money on going to AT (look at gate figures across all UK themeparks this year) and the weather has been poor this season. This equals less revenue and being as Merlin are owned by an investment group the shareholders are going to want to see a large return on there investment to justify it. Money talks and all that is happening is the top dogs at Merlin are cutting costs to ensure that they hit the financial targets set by the powers that be,

As above. I am not getting my violins out for a massive, multinational corporation that is Merlin.

It's the people at Alton who have to meet the targets etc.

Benedique said:
Every way that they are trying to save money sparks outrage amongst the general public.

General public or enthusiasts?

I doubt the general public would even notice or be even particularly bothered.

mikeroller said:
Benedique said:
Every way that they are trying to save money sparks outrage amongst the general public.

I take it you haven't read the Towers Facebook page much this season then?

They are complete and utter retards I tell you. Even I could see that opening rides late will make people not want to visit.

mikeroller said:
Benedique said:

Enthusiasts don't fill out the customer feedback questionnaires that ultimately get these things reversed. Customers, otherwise known as 'the general public', do.

If you look at their Facebook page each time they try and introduce ways of saving money, it tends to be general public, who get around one trip a year to the park, complaining. I know that it bothers us enthusiasts as well, but we have annual passes and visit many times a year, the general public get around one experience a year of Alton Towers so things like their favourite ride not opening until 11 doesn't please them.

If the general public didn't notice or bother, then Alton wouldn't keep reversing their decisions.

Don't know if its been pointed out but the only thing reversed are the rides.

Every que line store has remained closed along with Rita's Store, Spinball Noodles & The rest of the original list.

Guys this topic is for serious discussion (mostly) so no completely pointless joke posts or posts with just a picture.

It stalls debate and people may take comments seriously which then gives us a huge problem. We have the Tavern for the deliciously silly.

Thanks

The queue shops have remained closed?

Maybe cos it's not been busy enough for them at the moment? I dunno, not been for a while...

Still, it could've been worse, Port Aventura only have two rides open between 10 and 11 it seems most of the time...