• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas: Rattler Closes/Iron Rattler construction

Ted

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Kondaa
Just heard some news that The Rattler at Six Flags Fiesta Texas is to close on the 5th August

Six Flags Fiesta Texas Website said:
Last Chance to Ride The Rattler as it Slithers Away

From Six Flags Fiesta Texas on August 5!
Become a part of Fiesta Texas history and ride the Rattler wooden roller coaster before it slithers away on August 5th!

Come out and experience the classic wooden coaster through nearly a mile of high-speed turns, looping twists and breathtaking drops as the Ratter prepares for last riders on Sunday, Aug. 5! The Rattler opened at Fiesta Texas when the park opened in 1992, heralding it then as the only coaster at the park and delighting guests with a distinctive wooden coaster experience. Visit this Crackaxle Canyon icon one last time before Aug. 5 as we bid farewell to perhaps the most recognized Fiesta Texas landmark.

Another article from the website "My San Antonio"

My San Antonio said:
The Rattler won't be rolling any more after Aug. 5.
Six Flags Fiesta Texas announced Monday that its landmark wooden roller coaster — once billed as the fastest and tallest wooden coaster in the world — will carry its last rider that day.
What, if anything, will replace the 20-year-old ride was not something Fiesta Texas officials would discuss Monday.
“All I can say is, it will be going away on Aug. 5,” park spokeswoman Sydne Purvis said. “That's all I can tell you.”
The ride, a nearly mile-long, 180-foot-high structure of Douglas fir tracks and southern yellow pine supports, is one of Fiesta Texas' signature features. It was the park's only adult roller coaster when it opened in March 1992.
So highly anticipated was the ride when the park opened that visitors waited in line for as many as three hours to take their seats and then got back in line for another turn. It has won thousands of fans over the years.
“It's one of the few coasters that literally scared me,” said David Lipnicky, public relations director for American Coaster Enthusiasts and a Grand Prairie resident who was there when the ride began and has come back for more thrills every year since. “That original, first drop was the single best (coaster) element I've ever experienced.”
But the Rattler's bite was a bit too hard, according to some of the park's guests.
The 166-foot drop after the ride started and the curves that pulled riders with up to 3.5 G's of gravitational force were blamed for a variety of neck, back and shoulder injuries that led to lawsuits by dozens of riders.
Park signs warned riders that the Rattler was “an aggressive, high-speed, physically demanding” attraction that might not be best for pregnant women and people with heart, spine or back problems.
By the 1994 season, the ride was toned down. Its top speed went from 73 mph to 65 mph, and its first drop was shortened.
At the time, Fiesta Texas officials denied that the changes were the result of allegations in the lawsuits. In 1998, the park reached settlements worth $3.54 million in lawsuits representing 27 plaintiffs.
Purvis said the lawsuits have long been resolved and had no bearing on the closing of the ride.
She said the park wanted the Rattler's many fans to know when it would be closing so they had time to ride it one more time.
“It's kind of the end of an era,” she said.
Howard Gillooly, the preservation director for the coaster enthusiasts organization, said it's always sad to see a wooden coaster close, and he predicted that fans would make a trip to San Antonio to take one last ride on the Rattler before it's gone.
Wooden coasters are being replaced by steel coasters in the amusement park industry but have not disappeared altogether, industry officials said. Richard Munch, a member of the National Roller Coaster Museum and Archives board and a founder of the coaster enthusiasts organization, said wooden coasters have not been easy to maintain in the Texas heat. But they continue to be built in Northern states and in other parts of the world, including China, he said.
The most recent census by the Roller Coaster DataBase showed that the United States had 113 wooden coasters and 509 steel coasters.
Munch was surprised by Monday's announcement because he believed the Rattler was in line for refurbishment. He and Lipnicky said they hope Six Flags replaces the ride with another coaster or something that provides the same kind of thrills the Rattler did.
Even after the Rattler was toned down, fans still thought it was an exciting ride.
“It was a wooden coaster, and it was a pretty long ride — one of the longest coasters I've ever been on,” said Andrew Cobb, a Texas State University student who grew up in San Antonio. “I'll miss it.”

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Fiesta-Texas-famed-Rattler-is-going-silent-3694324.php#ixzz20nw1MfcH

The coaster originally opened along with the rest of the park in 1992, so it's only 20 years old (Which is incredibly young for a Woodie)

Photo of the ride Under Construction in 1991, From the "My San Antonio" Website:

628x471.jpg

Some general photos of the ride:

jhu96b007t00s800bspf0o.jpg

4ea07pqu1gicn1ts401og0.jpg

aik01og007q2u1gicm2a1q.jpg

dj3gbg0e0005ugngc4j5oi.jpg

On ride POV:

Rattler (HD POV) Six Flags Fiesta Texas

Off Ride POV, Look at the Track Sway! :eek:

The Rattler Roller Coaster Six Flags Fiesta Texas Offride Shots

Now the question is, What will replace this? Maybe another B&M Wingrider? or a Mack Launch? or a New Woodie? Or will it get the Texas Giant treatment? Or maybe none of these?

Re: The Rattler at Six Flags Fiesta Texas to close

Oh no, I've known about the rattler for a while, mainly because of this video (it's a shorter version of the one above that highlights the bending track):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYF84b8O7a0&list=FLih0lQs_E9SM5zA8wngTldg&index=14&feature=plpp_video[/youtube]

I can't belive it's going :(

I have to say it's very strange for a coaster of this size to be leaving after just 20 years, especially for a wooden coaster...

Hmmm, is it because of the track swaying problem?

The Rattler at Six Flags Fiesta Texas to close

I've heard rumours it may be closing for a retrack New Texas Giant style, possibly by RMC. Saying that, a clean new coaster with fewer supports could make a stunning sight with the location the Rattler is currently on.

Now that's a shame. It's one of the few woodies I actually want to go on. :(

What you're seeing there isn't the original Texas Rattler; they re-tracked nearly all of it over the years including removing about 40ft off the first drop! But honestly, judging by this POV shot before it opened, it was for the best...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4YGPKbKhq0[/youtube]

This is by far the worst tracking I have ever seen on a coaster, worse than Ultimate by miles!

Good grief! That looks appalling! And what the hell is with that helix?

Lol, worst helix ever... That's brilliantly awful...

That banking is incredible. What where they thinking?

Blaze said:
That banking is incredible. What where they thinking?

What were they thinking opening that ride at all? Or even attempting to build it in-house with clearly no knowledge of woodie construction :p

Wow. Such an absolutely magnificent structure! A true beast of a woodie.

Shame they built it like a back yard coaster with seemingly no accounting for, well, wheels on a track at speed ???! There appears to be more banking than RBS, more bends than Spaghetti Junction, and more kinks than a pair of screwed up linen trousers!

Sad to see such an imposing woodie demolished, but I can understand their reasons - it doesn't look remotely comfortable to ride, judging by that POV combined with the article that was posted!

That's strange, I was browsing photos of this coaster on RCDB the other day and wondering how long it would have left. Turns out not long. Having rode its relative at Terra Mitica (I believe RCCA did the re-tracking) its departure may not be a huge loss it terms of ride quality, but it's still a shame as it's one of the most impressive looking coasters in the world.

As for that video, I was thinking "He must be exaggerating, there's no way it can be worse than the Ultima... okay, it's much worse." It's like riding my first ever NoLimits track! The first drop looked alright to me so how did they manage to get the hardest bit right and mess the rest up so badly?

Six Flags have announced The Rattler's replacement: The Iron Rattler!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfqXdLnhpk4[/youtube]

It's like Outlaw run, only not as mental.

I hate Texas! They aren't content with one Rocky Mountain woodie. No, they want two! :p

Looks great though! Shame we can't have one in the UK! :/

"First hybrid coaster ever"... I think you might be out of touch with your own company Six Flags. What about New Texas Giant. Not even to mention Outlaw Run :p

I was kind of gutted too see rattler go considering it looked very urm unique! However its replacement looks like a a good choice, its a shame they couldn't have just keapt he old ratler then added iron rattler as a dueling coaster, making both popular and having an amazing looking pair of coasters!

A longer video featuring questionable grammar but crucially showing more of the layout. I could be wrong but it looks to me like the course of the coaster is being altered quite a bit. I think that the 3 mile an hour helix has been ditched in favor of a straight forward turn.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMX166sWPjM&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

The dive over the quarry looks excellent! Loving the pace that it keeps as well. Shame we will most likely never see a park in the UK get a grip and go for something like this, or even just a regular GCI woodie. :/

Edit: Someone has had a go at making the first part of the ride in NL...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WECtWCK_Okw[/youtube]

Bump! Time for a construction update:

2013 - Iron Rattler - (12/11/12) Screamscape has confirmed that the new continuous motion loading system being testing on Texas Giant at SFOT right now will not be installed on Iron Rattler in 2013. But much like Texas Giant, this does not mean we wont see it added at some point in the future if it works out on the Texas Giant.
While we’re talking about Iron Rattler, the park has sent Screamscape some incredible construction photos of how the conversion is going that you really must see. The POV shot of the spiraling track is incredible. I can’t wait to see more.

The photos given to them:

db_2012_1211_IronRattler__2_1.jpg

db_2012_1211_IronRattler__3_1.jpg

db_2012_1211_IronRattler__4_1.jpg

db_2012_1211_IronRattler1.jpg

Screamscape reported on the new load system being tested on New Texas Giant the other day:

(12/10/12) Screamscape sources tell us that a new loading concept for the Texas Giant was testing at Holiday at the Park on Friday. All of the old loading gates were closed off and riders sent into a single queue row. The returning train will enter the station and crawl at a slow pace through the station and not stop. Riders are assigned seating rows one at a time as the train passes by, similar in nature to how Universal Orlando handles the Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit coaster. Small zipper pouches have also been installed onto the train, big enough for keys or a cell phone, while larger items need to be stored in bins. Looks like they are testing this out for the 2013 season here, and if I had to guess, we’ll see it used on Iron Rattler at Fiesta Texas as well. Based on the witness reports so far, the execs watching the test system in action seemed pleased as the test seemed to go off without a hitch.

So when do we get one? :'(