• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas: Rattler Closes/Iron Rattler construction

Re: The Rattler at Six Flags Fiesta Texas to close

:eek:

Wow. I have one thing to say.

How much are flights to Texas? :p

Oh god wow, that looks amazing! I think I need some tissues after seeing that! :p

Looking awesome so far! =)

Also should I change the title to something like "Iron rattler construction" or something similar to that?

Superlatives do not do justice...it just looks insane!

Is there actually any excuse for a park not to build one of these over here or at least somewhere in Europe? Outlaw Run has apparently cost Silver Dollar City just $10,000,000 which is about £6,351,000 and the topper track means that noise and a rough ride aren't issues.

These rides are seriously bonkers! :p

I can agree with the price/thrill point Al has made above, and it does look decent especially for 6 mil! Phenomenal in fact.

Aesthetically, I don't like it, the drop doesn't look different to me than many other steep drop coasters, except it appears to be held up by matchsticks.

Caveat: Have not ridden one of these hybrid machines, if it rides actually like a woodie it will be amazing, but if it rides like a steel - other than the price/thrill - which as mentioned is incredible quite frankly, I don't get it.

I know my post wont be warmly welcomed lol, but it is just my opinions based on my interpretation. For 6 mil though, some smaller parks would make a serious impact building something like that.

Just to notify everyone, I've change the topic title as I wanted it to include something to with the construction of Iron Rattler. =)

A graphic featured in that video I posted a few comments back has been sent to Screamscape:

db_2013_0205_IronRattlerGraphic_8001.jpg

I think "the smoothest ride experience of any coaster in the world" is taking it a bit far to be honest! :p

So we're at 81 degrees now? How long before the Worlds First Wooden Vertical Drop coaster comes to light I wonder... :p

Not that soon I wouldn't imagine, seeing as this is steel!

I know this debate keeps coming up and I hate to be the one to bring it back, but this runs on steel rails, it is only the same as the Ultimate, okay, it's a hybrid... But it's still a steel hybrid! :p

Outlaw Run also has a 81 degree drop, and that's much more likely to be considered a woodie.

This and the New Texas Giant are definitely steel, whilst Outlaw Run is, perhaps, wooden- although it's not really the same. You could argue that the Intamin woodies are also, not technically wooden.

Beat me to it Nick :)

I would class Outlaw Run as a wooden hybrid (still a hybrid but definitely more wood than steel) and that can manage just as steep drops. When you think about it all wooden coasters have steel tracks, what is important is that the steel is placed over laminated layers of wood which gives the ride its wooden feel. Outlaw Run does have that:

the-trick-track-edition-10-arfb.jpg

so if one of these was built with a vertical drop I'd have no problem counting it.

But I can't really see a wooden vertical drop or even beyond vertical drop any time soon as it seems a bit pointless. Just saying it can be done.

Six Flags have sent another couple of images to Screamscape:

db_2013_0206_IronRattler11.jpg

db_2013_0206_IronRattler21.jpg

http://rcdb.com/10582.htm

Outlaw Run is listed as a wooden coaster. If RCDB has it listed that way, it's usually been well researched and I think it's a woodie. It's no different to an Intamin Plug and play, which uses steel joints between the track sections.

This, is, however a steel hybrid.

I love the look of what the track does, however, Imagree that as a whole these hybrids are ugly. But then, I find most woodies ugly anyway... *gets coat*

DiogoJ42 said:
I love the look of what the track does, however, Imagree that as a whole these hybrids are ugly. But then, I find most woodies ugly anyway... *gets coat*

I love traditional woodies, both in experience and looks, painted white, and sympathetic to their roots. Now, these may ride brilliantly, but I really am not a fan of this aesthetically.

Now mixed in around terrain? Different matter I'd say - but so obvious and stand out? I think it needs taming, it's brash and very unattractive. Theme it into a context and again it could work very well, and they are very obviously great value coasters also - so there are some great positives to these style of coasters.

Is it not just a steel coaster pretending to be wooden though? Anyone ridden one yet?

This just screams 'back yard coaster' to me. It really is ugly. It also looks like a death trap and, that's coming from a Coaster geek.

I can't even begin to imagine what the general public's perception of it is, I imagine a few will be put off riding just by it's general appearance. It looks like a small child has been let loose with matchsticks & Meccano.