• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas: Rattler Closes/Iron Rattler construction

Bear said:
What.. is that.. sticking out of the back car!! Ohmahlawd.
(Slightly NSFW:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MXL3TtwalU

I'm surprised how quiet it is. Shame it's so ugly, looks like a fun ride.

The only thing that ruins it is the inexplicable bright orange track. If it'd just been wood coloured like the rest of the coaster then it would have looked great.

Alastair said:
The only thing that ruins it is the inexplicable bright orange track. If it'd just been wood coloured like the rest of the coaster then it would have looked great.

My guess is it is meant to be "iron". Has that naturally rusty red/orange appearance.

Should be sponsored by Irn-Bru. ;D

Trains are spectacular, it looks like a backyard coaster but the more I look at it, the more I feel that is the idea. That wouldn't help with Merlin's perception of woodies and the public that's for sure! Also, is that actually the quietest ever coaster? It's near silent and looks silky smooth - totally counter intuitive to the rides appearance.

The best bit for me though, is the start - the way it cleverly prolongs that hang into the first drop looks brilliant ;D - that is a real nice touch to this ride.

Aesthetically it is bizarre, be interesting to find out how it is received once opened!

I have to agree with Dar on this. The first drop, roll and dive over the quarry wall look fantastic, however other than those elements, this ride appears to be rather a lot of nothing.

Not only is it rather a lot of nothing, it is a lumbering lot of nothing, it really crawls around those over-banks, they just don't look fun at all, just mundane and repetitive!

It takes everything a bit too slow, though hopefully things will improve once it's up to full speed and has been going a bit. It still looks pretty fun.

It wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't such a contrast in speed between the first and last sections with the middle, but I think having it all set up on the side of the quarry has had an impact on that bit. It's a shame that storm drain is there as they could have dug a few tunnels and trenches to add to the experience and keep it motoring along. Apart from the hills and drops down the quarry face, it all looks too drawn out to me and that won't have helped it either. Nor will the lack of theming or vegetation around that top bit help its case.

It's certainly a very unique coaster though. I'm in no doubt that the terrain at somewhere like... Oh, I don't know... Alton Towers (?) could provide a better template to fit a ride like this (or more preferably, an Outlaw Run topper track style ride) to! ;)

It puts me in mind of PMBO if I'm honest! A good first drop, but after that it becomes boring and samey :p It really crawls around the end of the layout, and those steeply banked turns towards the end seem just pointless.

The reason it's so slow is because at the top of the hill, it is travelling at a very slow speed. Also, the wheels may have to be worn in.

I still stand by the fact that other than the first drop - the inversion, it looks incredibly bland, repetitive and unimaginative! I just feel that so much more could have been done with it, granted the air time looks good with a few decent pops on the top of the quarry wall too, but those overbanks are boring!

Hmm the first drop looks really good, as does the final drop into the tunnel. However pretty much everything in between does look a little boring (apart from the barrel roll). You do feel they could have done a bit more with it. Saying that though, it does look filled with airtime and for me that is a huge positive. You probably have to ride it to really know what it's like, I'd still want to ride it just for that first drop!

:)

To paraphrase Radiohead, 'Anyone Can Design A Drop'. :p

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

This type of hybrid system seems to lose energy really quickly, must be high in friction.

It's odd because New Texas Giant (which is the same I-Box hybrid) doesn't seem to slow down much at all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKkytkuIJc8#ws

You can also see that it's still motoring along at the very end of the ride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr6Dd0cEKE8#ws

It actually looks like it tries to buck the riders right out of their seats as it reaches the brake run! :p Iron Rattler looks much slower probably because it's set so high up along the top of the quarry wall and there's very little change in it's height or speed.

Fredward said:
Every time I hear the upselling from six flags it almost makes Merlin look like EP... That is a horrible advert

If you think that's bad, look at this from Six Flags America...

zjMNb9B.jpg

The coaster is new for 2012! To be fair to Merlin, I can't imagine them ever doing something that horrendous...