• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Six Flags Magic Mountain: General Discussion

The thoughts of a rider who took part in the shoot for the commercial (courtesy of California Coaster Kings):

Labor day weekend is almost here, and with it comes a lot of anticipation. With the Opening of Wicked Cyclone on the east coast, and Twisted Colossus on the west coast, we have a lot to wonder about. Well lucky us! I was one of the lucky few to be picked for the Twisted Colossus commercial film shoot. After being sent through the ring 8 times, and over that drop 16 times, I have great news. We have one of the best coasters in the nation on our hands.

If I had to describe this coaster in one hyphenated word, it would be AIR-TIME. Remember the described 18 moments of air-time? Good luck keeping count while riding this monster. It never seems to let up. From the near vertical drop, you get thrown over a small air-time hill before being launched into that first diving turn. That, ladies and gentlemen, is where you get your most intense ejector air-time on the ride. From there you are thrown into the high five, and receive some wonderful floaters. Can you guess which side had the better high five? Of course it’s the green! I’ve never been so delicately thrown around like a rag doll like I was on the green track. You cant help but throw your hands up through the high five. How could you not?! It’s the only high five element in the Western Hemisphere. Not to mention that there are NO handlebars to grab onto on this ride.

I was slightly disappointed by the amount of times we actually met up with the other train. Out of my 4 dueling rides, we maybe got 2 close calls and 1 perfect match. Not so good considering that we were pre boarded and waiting for the perfect moment. That 90 second load time seems to go quick. We were running to our seats for the practice runs. It was still hectic and rushed. If you got one handicapped person that required assistance, or even a recheck on the seats, the whole thing would be thrown off. I hope they can get it right because dueling with the other train was magical. You really focus on that other train when it’s right there with you. Maybe with practice, and the use of the 2 brake runs before the lift hills, we will see some success.

Speaking of magical, those two inversions…I mean, come on were on an ex-wooden coaster here! You first go through the blue track. This has a wonderfully paired bunny hop that matches the green’s Top Gun Stall. This is like a second high five element , net be damned! Its just too cool to see the other train twisting above and below you. The Zero G on the blue track is like butter, but the Top Gun stall is the most mind blowing element on the ride. There is so much hang time, yet you just float right through it. Its like a Zero G inversion on crack, and it lasts forever!

After exiting the inversions, both trains enter the double ups for some fun pops of air-time. The blue track heads around an outward banked turn, which surprisingly was not as powerful as I thought it would be. I will however say, that being on the lift hill with another train full of people, was so fun. People were throwing imaginary lassos and fishing lines. We were fake paddling and swimming up the hill, trying so desperately to catch up. It never seemed like we were racing, but rather, going on an adventure with each other. Almost as if the green track was leading the way with its knowledge of what was ahead.

Over all, the ride is fantastic. With all the head choppers and sharp transitions, it’ll keep you guessing. It is so velvety smooth in everything it does, yet it still seems so angry and volatile. Ride it in the front for serious ejector air-time. Ride it in the back and you’ll float over every hill. No matter what, you will be surprised by every part of this ride. I’m happy to say that California has a proper Air Time Monster on its hands. Twisted Colossus is a fabulous addition to Six Flags Magic Mountain as well as a wonderful homage to the park’s past. Don’t forget about that sweet Early Ride Time gold pass holders! May 21 and 22. Thanks for reading, now go get out there and have some fun!

I've seen several very good reviews of Twisted Colossus so far which is extremely promising. I can't wait for a POV to be released. Certainly makes me want to get over to California even more.

:)

Oh my! That looks like something special. RMC are really proving themselves now.

Dear Jesus, what a ride. Cannot wait to get on it, easily the best coaster in SFMM.

Indeed, sounds like it is full of airtime and does throw you around but in a smooth manner. It's one of those rare coaster that I don't feel like I want to ride it; I need to ride it.

Not the biggest fan of these RMC conversations, but really, that looks awesome. Also I don't think it looks that rough.

Last edited:
That is a great review. Shows off some of the nice theming touches in the queue line as well, something you might not have previously associated with Six Flags parks.

Six Flags have announced that Revolution, the parks 40 year old Schwarzkopf looping coaster, will get a refurbishment including new trains. This means that it will have lap bars!

sfmm-nr-ka.jpg

Six Flags said:
To commemorate the 40th anniversary of the world's first looping coaster, we're refurbishing the coaster with new trains, special ride effects, and a new look. The New Revolution train will feature red, white, and blue colors with a silver eagle hood adornment on the cars. Newly designed trains will be fitted with lap and calf bars. The elimination of shoulder harnesses will give you a faster, smoother, sleeker ride with more airtime than you've ever experienced before.

Our original coaster debuted in 1976 with dips and dives through the hillside, taking you through the world's first giant loop at 90 feet high. Don't miss out on its farewell run September 7 before the transformation begins.

Got to say the new trains look brilliant! I don't know how it currently rides but I'd imagine this will be an improvement which is always good.

Wasn't there a case recently where someone arrived back in the station unconcious due to the headbanging? That's probably the only reason they are doing this. Not that we should complain of course. :)

I visited Magic Mountain yesterday and got to ride Twisted Colossus. All I can say is WOW, it's an amazing coaster, apart from the lift hills it doesn't let up, ultra smooth and packed full of air time, the first drop after each lift hill are fantastic. Managed 4 rides, the two at night where the best and managed to duel on the second half on both night rides, when it duels it's even more amazing! Alton towers need an RMC as there next coaster..

I will do full trip report along with the other LA area parks we visited when I got home.

The New Revolution is looking rather blue!!

a0591981f3defb5e5e4eaea2eda9f371.jpg
(Image: The Coaster Guy)

Fantastic to see a full repaint on another coaster at Magic Mountain. That makes around 5 of their coasters to receive this renewal/refurb treatment in the last 8 years. This doesn't even include the fact that they've built 6 brand new coasters in the same period of time as well. Slightly crazy!

An interesting rumour from Screamscape regarding a potential future coaster for Magic Mountain:
Screamscape said:
While the focus this year at Magic Mountain is on The New Revolution, there are early rumors suggesting that the park has some loose plans in store for the future, with a design idea for their next large coaster. If the rumors are true, they may have tasked B&M to design the first Dive Machine coaster for the Six Flags chain. Based on the landscape of the park, I can only assume they might try to use the mountain itself to offset some of the expensive structure cost by allowing it to serve as part of the lift and then take the vertical dive off the edge of the top half of the mountain, perhaps in the back where they may be clearing out the old stunt show arena, or maybe diving towards of the old Deja Vu location.
No Six Flags parks has built a Dive Machine to date, though I'm hearing that the corporate office will keep a careful eye on how Valravn performs at Cedar Point this summer before making the final call on the SFMM ride... which will probably be just a bit taller and longer than Valravn as well if they build it.

Magic Mountain is no doubt due another new coaster sometime soon, seeing as Six Flags do like to give their flagship park one far more regularly than any of their other parks. A Dive Machine on the US west coast would be welcomed.

An interesting rumour from Screamscape regarding a potential future coaster for Magic Mountain:

Magic Mountain is no doubt due another new coaster sometime soon, seeing as Six Flags do like to give their flagship park one far more regularly than any of their other parks. A Dive Machine on the US west coast would be welcomed.

Well, there's been an update on Screamscape regarding the park's next coaster. Lance is now saying that Six Flags did originally consider a B&M Dive Coaster, but it was rejected for being too expensive, and they are now apparently eyeballing... a Mack XTREME Spinning Coaster, similar to Time Traveler at Silver Dollar City. They are also apparently considering the Deja Vu site instead of the Viper site. If this is true, then I'm not entirely sure why Six Flags would opt for this over a Dive Coaster from a finance point of view, because Time Traveler is reportedly costing a hefty $26million, and even though this would likely be cheaper due to Six Flags not theming it as well and due to them probably placing it on flat land if they were to go with the Deja Vu site, as well as it not being a prototype, the point still stands that Mack are an expensive company, and Six Flags has said that they are not willing to invest huge amounts of money into rides. I reckon Six Flags are more likely to go with either a clone of Wonder Woman at Fiesta Texas or possibly something like a Gerstlauer Infinity if they want something with a good drop.
EDIT: Here is a link to the Screamscape page: http://screamscape.com/html/six_flags_magic_mountain.htm