• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Six Flags Magic Mountain: General Discussion

Well, there's been an update on Screamscape regarding the park's next coaster. Lance is now saying that Six Flags did originally consider a B&M Dive Coaster, but it was rejected for being too expensive, and they are now apparently eyeballing... a Mack XTREME Spinning Coaster, similar to Time Traveler at Silver Dollar City. They are also apparently considering the Deja Vu site instead of the Viper site. If this is true, then I'm not entirely sure why Six Flags would opt for this over a Dive Coaster from a finance point of view, because Time Traveler is reportedly costing a hefty $26million, and even though this would likely be cheaper due to Six Flags not theming it as well and due to them probably placing it on flat land if they were to go with the Deja Vu site, as well as it not being a prototype, the point still stands that Mack are an expensive company, and Six Flags has said that they are not willing to invest huge amounts of money into rides. I reckon Six Flags are more likely to go with either a clone of Wonder Woman at Fiesta Texas or possibly something like a Gerstlauer Infinity if they want something with a good drop.
EDIT: Here is a link to the Screamscape page: http://screamscape.com/html/six_flags_magic_mountain.htm

Appears as though they're going with the plot of land behind Apocalypse, according to this tweet from Jeremy Thompson. It's a pretty isolated area of the park as it stands so another coaster there could only be a good thing.

Perhaps it's also worth remembering that the park want to add an on site hotel so will also need some land for that.
Where did you hear that @MakoMania? I suppose a hotel would be good for a park like Magic Mountain, especially as they are now a 365 days a year theme park.

I was at Magic Mountain a couple of days ago and saw the land clearing, but was told by a supervisor that they are just creating a safety buffer due to the wild fires in the area

I was at Magic Mountain a couple of days ago and saw the land clearing, but was told by a supervisor that they are just creating a safety buffer due to the wild fires in the area

Very possible, also read just now that SFMM don't actually own much of the land beyond Apocalypse and that the only possible expansion area coaster-wise other than removing an existing ride would be on the old GIB site.

Sorry to bump the thread, but a lot has happened regarding SFMM's 2019 project since January! For starters, the rumours of Mack are apparently untrue, which rather surprised me when I heard it!

As for what they're getting, the park is announcing this on 29th August at 9pm California time (so about 5am UK time), before all of the other Six Flags parks. However, a leak on Reddit within the past couple of days has revealed that the park may apparently be getting... West Coast Racers! The ride may apparently be a Vekoma duelling family launch coaster with single car trains and might break the record for highest acceleration on a duelling launch coaster! I never even knew such a record existed, but it looks like it will be a nice ride for the family thrill audience at SFMM if it happens!

Do take this with a pinch of salt, however, as Six Flags' announcement is not until 29th August.

Sorry to bump the thread, but a lot has happened regarding SFMM's 2019 project since January! For starters, the rumours of Mack are apparently untrue, which rather surprised me when I heard it!

As for what they're getting, the park is announcing this on 29th August at 9pm California time (so about 5am UK time), before all of the other Six Flags parks. However, a leak on Reddit within the past couple of days has revealed that the park may apparently be getting... West Coast Racers! The ride may apparently be a Vekoma duelling family launch coaster with single car trains and might break the record for highest acceleration on a duelling launch coaster! I never even knew such a record existed, but it looks like it will be a nice ride for the family thrill audience at SFMM if it happens!

Do take this with a pinch of salt, however, as Six Flags' announcement is not until 29th August.
Turns out that that leak was apparently made up by a Reddit member to fool the enthusiast community... we can now go back to having no idea!
EDIT: Sorry for double posting!

Here's the full announcement:

Six Flags said:
World’s First Racing Launch Coaster, West Coast Racers, Debuting at Six Flags Magic Mountain in 2019

LOS ANGELES, Calif. — August 30, 2018 — Six Flags Magic Mountain, today announced the latest addition to its unparalleled coaster dynasty — West Coast Racers, the world’s first racing launch coaster — slated to open in 2019. Unlike traditional coasters, this one-of-a-kind racing coaster will feature two side-by-side tracks with four individual high-speed launches. The race covers two complete laps, multiple airtime hills, extreme high-banked turns and exhilarating over/under near misses. A highlight of the ride is an immersive real time “pit stop” designed and produced by world famous West Coast Customs that will provide riders with a racing experience unlike any other.

“Six Flags leads the industry in thrill ride innovation; it is part of our DNA, and we are taking thrills to the next level with the new West Coast Racers,” said Park President, Neal Thurman. “Six Flags Magic Mountain is the undisputed ‘Thrill Capital of the World’ and with this newest coaster, strengthens our position as the ‘Coaster Capital of the World’ with a total of 20 roller coasters — more than any other theme park on the planet.”

To begin their three-minute journey on the unique terrain-hugging track, riders sitting two abreast are loaded onto sleek West Coast Customs-designed coaster cars. Launching around the first lap, riders will experience head-to-head racing with the other cars on the twin track. The first of its kind “pit stop” experience, narrated by West Coast Customs Founder and CEO, Ryan Friedlinghaus, occurs between the two laps and provides riders an exclusive inside look into the West Coast Customs shop.

“We are thrilled to partner with Six Flags Magic Mountain to create this unprecedented new ride,” said Ryan Friedlinghaus, founder and CEO West Coast Customs. "Throughout my career, I have always thought outside of the box and I love being challenged to build things others can't. Talk about the ultimate outside of the box challenge — a West Coast Customs-style roller coaster!”

Ride features include:
- A record-breaking four magnetic launches, including a side-by-side first and second race
launch;

- Four total inversions, including three zero G rolls and a zero G stall;

- 14 track crossovers and a high-five (where riders can almost high-five guests riding the
opposing train), for a total of 30 train interactions (15 per lap);

- Side-by-side airtime hills and overbanked turns; and

- Speeds up to 55 miles-per-hour as riders cross the finish line.

West Coast Racers will be located in a new LA centric urban-themed area where guests will enjoy a high-energy street vibe. Currently located in this area is the popular wooden coaster, Apocalypse, and the Cyclone 500 Go Karts, which will undergo re-theming. New dining, games and retail locations will be added to complete the extensive area renovation. For more information about West Coast Racers and next season at Six Flags Magic Mountain, visit https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/newfor2019

thumb_001_356.jpg

thumb_002_367.jpg

thumb_004_357.jpg

thumb_005_350.jpg

No manufacturer confirmed but you have to assume that it is Premier. They also seem to have a way to make sure that the coaster always races with the pit stop 'show scene' before the second half of the ride.

This actually looks pretty good!

:)

Looks an interesting idea, should fit into that mid-range coaster type that Six Flags lacks in general...

Pimp My Ride: The Ride in 2018 is unexpected but if Xzibit turns up in the show scene I'm all for it. Looks like a fun ride.

I think it looks really good, but it's getting slated by a lot of American enthusiasts!

I likes this a lot - an awful lot. It looks fun and the interaction with other rides should be cool

They needed something else down there - at the moment Apocalypse feels a long way removed from the park (OK so there's the upcharge reverse bungee but no-one cares about those).

Bonus points for incorporating the storm drain as the site for the 2nd/4th launch.

West Coast Racers is coming on well...!

lhv0q078kn821.jpg

This is new for 2019 and not 2020 right? Although I suppose they do only have to put track up, there probably won't even be a station building.

An update from Screamscape regarding West Coast Racers, it sounds like a total balls up from Premier/Six Flags:

Screamscape said:
I’m afraid the rumored issue Six Flags Magic Mountain may have been having with West Coaster Racers is looking to be true, as it is currently February and not only has no serious vertical construction started for the coaster, but I’m hearing that no parts have even arrived. Without going into too much detail, the rumor suggested that major portions of the ride had to be redesigned to fit the site… which means a total redesign of the support system and footer locations, which would explain why there has been little progress so far, which of course would delay the actual production of the ride’s hardware until the new plans were finished. In other words, if all this holds true the opening of the actual coaster could be delayed by months, missing the prime summer opening window. Stay tuned!

God knows when it will open, probably looking at late summer/early autumn.

Screamscape have confirmed that Green Lantern will be removed.

Sreamscape was able to get an official statement from Six Flags Magic Mountain’s Sue Carpenter regarding the fate of the park’s Green Lantern coaster:
The Green Lantern: First Flight roller coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain is scheduled to be removed at a later, undetermined date to make room for future development. The park has no plans to open the ride before it is removed.
Six Flags Magic Mountain, the “Thrill Capital of the World,” continues to have an unparalleled world-class roller coaster collection. The park is open daily and will debut the world’s first dual racing launch coaster, West Coast Racers, later this year.
So there you have it… Green Lantern: First Flight is officially no more, and we will see the one and only Intamin ZacSpin coaster in the American continent removed. There are currently only three other such coasters, all located in Europe: Inferno at Terra Mitica, Insane at Grona Lund and Kirnu at Linnanmaki.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_magic_mountain.htm

All I can say is good riddance! Hopefully it won't be long until the other 3 are removed.