• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Six Flags Magic Mountain: General Discussion

Footers for West Coast Racers are finally being poured:

l2l3nq2qd2p21.jpg

You nevr know, it might open this year!

The contractors have apparently been given a deadline of the 1st Nov, if not completed by then they face large fines. However I understand currently they hope to open it earlier than that and have it ready for the start of fright fest in Sept. Hopefully its open by the time of my visit in mid Oct. However wont be that disappointed if not open as plenty of other coasters to ride, I will be more gutted if Rise of the Resistance at Disneyland isn't open. Cant wait to get back on Twisted Colossus.

Do we know the reason for the delay? Is it the manufacturer or builders? Very strange as it was announced yonks ago now.

Do we know the reason for the delay? Is it the manufacturer or builders? Very strange as it was announced yonks ago now.

Apparently major parts of the ride had to be re-designed to fit the site, which included a total revamp of support and footer locations. Six Flags and Premier really made a mess of it.

I've scaled back my ambition from riding this in August to Apocalypse having reopened by August.

Err so it looks like Green Lantern may be staying after all according to Screamscape:
Screamscape said:
It was confirmed by a few sources that the President of Six Flags Magic Mountain announced to a group of Coaster Con attendees earlier this week that the park would be keeping their Green Lantern coaster after all. The plan is to ‘retrack’ it and reopen it sometime this year.

This is surprising after the park first announced they were going to reopen it in late 2018, only to change their mind and announce the ride’s permanent closure and intention to remove it in early 2019. While I haven’t had the chance to ride Green Lantern myself, the word from those who have ridden it seem to indicate that it isn’t the track that is the problem with the ride, but instead the problem lies somewhere between the trains and the restraint system being used which puts a lot of uncomfortable pressure on the human body, causing severe discomfort.

Does seem a little strange that they would retrack it though?

And another update from Screamscape, turns out it is not reopening:
Screamscape said:
So what is really going on with the Green Lantern coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain? While the message that it was being saved spread like a virus through the coaster community yesterday, but as things tend to do… the message got twisted along the way.

While it is true that Six Flags Magic Mountain President, Neil Thurman did mention that the coaster was going to get “retracked” or refurbished in order for it to run again… Neil did not at any time say that the Green Lantern would reopen at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Looking to get confirmation of this, I was also able to get in touch with Sue Carpenter (Communications Manager) on Thursday afternoon who absolutely re-confirmed to Screamscape that Green Lantern was “Never opening at Six Flags Magic Mountain again”.

So there you have it! Nothing has changed… and if I had to guess Green Lantern will be coming down before you know it to find a new home.

Wouldn't surprise me if they did replace it with an S&S Free Spin in the next couple of years.

I'm sure it'll be fine, but some of the angles of those photos make the track profiling look a tad awkward...

There was recently a construction tour held for West Coast Racers, and some interesting bits of info were found out, including:
  • The ride is scheduled to open in September.
  • The ride will feature comfort collars, as recommended by Premier.
  • The ride will use more steel than any other ride at SFMM.
  • Premier Rides was not the originally intended manufacturer.
  • Is intended as a medium thrill coaster.

Reactions: Rob
I'm yet to experience these comfort collars, but urgh. They seem so unnecessary.

I'm there September 10/11 so suspect it will be touch and go as to whether it is open or not.

West Coast Racers update:

02z8mt2iu1i31.jpg

Source

Looks like there is still some rebar to go in, I'm certainly not expecting it to be open when I'm there in just over a couple of weeks time. Just hoping that they managed to get Apocolypse open by then.

Lots has happened with West Coast Racers since the last update here....! Okay, that's just not true. I was there last month and they still had not put all of the track (or even footers) in place. This has now happened though, and even the station building is starting to come along:

hz2j3j8azhu31.jpg

Source

Pretty embarrassing all round to be honest, it's still nowhere near ready. I suppose now that they've missed the peak summer period as well as Halloween season there's really no rush to get it done.

I'd also completely forgotten that this was going to have Premier's pointless discomfort collars, which is strange when Full Throttle does not.

I don't think its anyone's finest hour, but I'm not sure it really matters. When you have a 365 day operating schedule alongside a vast season pass community with 18 other coasters at their disposal, they'll let you off.