• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Splash Landings repaints

GAGrathea said:
Stayed at Splash this weekend just gone.

It all looks fiiiiiiiiiiine, I genuinely didn't feel a difference :)

I can only echo this. Unless you pay specific notice it's very easy to just walk by and miss a lot of the crap they've done :)

Personally, I still really quite like it. It really makes the hotel look more attractive than it used to, and it keeps in with the Caribbean party vibe of the hotel. The only bits I still don't like the Master Blaster supports (They looked much better when they were the wood effect like the flume itself), and the dreadful wall transition on the Skywalk. It was completely unnecessary considering there was already the carpet further down the hall.

But overall it really doesn't bother me. It doesn't exactly leap out at you, and it makes the place feel much more friendly and inviting than before. A lot less drab :)

Not sure what to think about this new paintwork. SL always had this... charm. It was quirky but classy. Now it looks like a kids play area. I'll reserve my final thoughts until I visit, mind you!

It's a bit of a 'hit and miss' I would say. Some parts of it look fantastic while other parts look... awful! :/ The bits with the overuse of black paint look the worst! However overall it does look quite quirky! I suppose it's different designers putting their own stamp onto things.

Towers Street have just popped a photo of the repainted fountain at the entrance to Splash Landings on their Facebook:

1348_507642805972835_937412678_n.jpg

This is what it looked like before (another Towers Street photo):

1069842_504898219580627_1351137615_n.jpg

We seem to have lost a lot of detail. It doesn't look right now they're pretending the supports are also made from wood.

This is what it looked like a few years ago:

l.jpg

(can't find the source but it's from someone's Myspace)

It seems that over the years the detailed painting has slowly been replaced with more bright colours and less worn effects, though at least there have been a few additions.

Thoughts? :)

It looks OK. I'm not happy about the little details such as "Splash Landings Hotel" (written on the tub/bath tub) being lost.

On the whole I'm a bit 'meh' over the whole Splash repaints. It does go very against the original idea of the hotel theme though. Authentic Caribbean theme to now it being a cartoony OTT Caribbean theme. If you're going to repaint something at least keep it to the original concept. It's a bit of an insult to the original designers tbh!

I think it looks great. Everyone complains about things needing repainting/refurbishing and then complains when it's done anyway.

I really like the repaint of the fountain, as with everyone else, I'm saddened by the loss of the small details, but I'm glad it got repainted, it looks bright and new. If only they could be doing maintenance like that on park.

Alastair said:
I think it looks great. Everyone complains about things needing repainting/refurbishing and then complains when it's done anyway.
It's because they can't repaint things without replacing the details properly. Look at what the Haunted House used to look like as an example of how repaints are never as good for improving aesthetics of attractions and features as they should be.

Here it is in August 2003. Brand new and just missing the stones.

IMGP0317.JPG

Here it is a year later in August 2004. Notice on both the inviting walkway going under it, and yes back then everybody used to go get their photo taken standing under it.

IMGP1024.JPG

So up until at least 2008 it looked more or less the same as it did when it opened, though it had ropes around it to stop people from going underneath (why?). Interesting. :)

I may be odd but i actually prefer the new paint job (except the new/old mine shaft sign)

Odd as i haven't liked most of the new paint jobs at Splash

I actually quite like the new look of the water feature too but there are a few too many colours and the detailing has been lost.

The interior of the hotel on the other hand is an abomination.

Maybe my spot the difference skills are a worse than everyone else's but I can't find much to complain about?

I'd say this is the least offensive of the repaints. Dare I say it, I think the wooden supports look ... good?
Shame the rest of the hotel has been turned in to a Beno comic.

I also like it looking wooden. I think they should probably open a bit of the flooring up and have some of the mesh showing. It would then make it look like a deep mineshaft instead of just some water feature slapped on some pebbles.

Yeah I know the original was. All a part of strange plumbing of the hotel, but if the park are going to start going with this shaft going down and instead of oil its water (I think thats the idea they are trying to go for), then they need to make changes to make it work.