• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Strange Rides

Sadly it was removed a while ago now, but I'm pretty sure this is the oldest steel coaster ever?

https://rcdb.com/2925.htm

aerialglideecccmcf.jpg

Looks perfectly safe...!

Sadly it was removed a while ago now, but I'm pretty sure this is the oldest steel coaster ever?
It's definitely up there. The records going back that far aren't particularly good. At least one predates it on RCDB. Aerial Glide was fun!

The history of Shipley Glen is quite a sad tale. If you're in the area and you like trains or engineering, the tramway is still operating and is worth a visit.

It looks like a cross between a Mondial Top Scan and another ride which i can't remember the name of. :oops:

Woah... I take it this must be some kind of circus school? Normal kids aren't that co-ordinated!

Did anyone else get completely distracted at the start of that video by the food stall with a sign that proudly states "Kochs beste"?

I give you "The Never-Stop Railway", from the Empire Exhibition at Wembley. It worked in a similar fashion to Disney's People Mover... 40 years before Walt ever thought of it.
Cars would slow down and bunch together for the stations, people would hop on and off, then the cars would speed off individually when they left the platform.

And all this was done with nothing more complicated than a series of connected rotating screws between the rails. The speed of rotation was constant, but the pitch of the thread changed to vary the speed. Not a single electronic gizmo in sight. 1920's technology at it's finest!

And I'll bet no one was injured by it. (Or at least, no one important).

Brief mention on wikipedia.

As I believe they used to say, "Provide a cinematograph, Sir! Else I dare say it never took place!"