• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Teachers

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.

Islander

TS Member
Edit: This post makes little sense on its own, and really makes it look as if I've created a thread just to stir up an argument... I haven't :S.

This conversation was originally part of the NHS Thread, and this post was a direct response to a post by BigT (though why that post wasn't split off, leaving my post inappropriately at the start of this thread, is beyond me).

---

BigT said:
And that is the reason I don't trust it for my family and pay for private Heath care.
Given all your moaning about lazy teachers taking a day off, whilst you cannot afford to do so, I find this amusing.

::)

Islander said:
BigT said:
And that is the reason I don't trust it for my family and pay for private Heath care.
Given all your moaning about lazy teachers taking a day off, whilst you cannot afford to do so, I find this amusing.

::)

I'm glad you find it amusing, I'm lucky that I have been able to work longer hours and the weekend to make the time up, maybe teachers should be made to do this also.
Maybe you should read the post above properly where it clearly says I make my choices as to what I see is best for my family.

BigT said:
I'm lucky that I have been able to work longer hours and the weekend to make the time up, maybe teachers should be made to do this also.
Would be tricky to work out how to do that, given that most teachers already work evenings and weekends ;)

Islander said:
BigT said:
I'm lucky that I have been able to work longer hours and the weekend to make the time up, maybe teachers should be made to do this also.
Would be tricky to work out how to do that, given that most teachers already work evenings and weekends ;)

Yea teachers work long hours my backside, none of the ones I know do. Has nothing to do with the NHS but teachers are not in the real world and everyone who isn't a teacher or student know that.

BigT said:
Islander said:
BigT said:

Yea teachers work long hours my backside, none of the ones I know do. Has nothing to do with the NHS but teachers are not in the real world and everyone who isn't a teacher or student know that.

(Forum team - please feel free to delete or split into a new thread if you feel I'm dragging this thread off-topic, but I feel this view has to be challenged!)

Whilst not a teacher myself, I work in academia, and I can assure you that teachers (of all levels, I work with university staff, but it is clear this goes right down to primary teachers - the mentality is similar I believe right through the school system) certainly do work long hours - perhaps not every day of the year, but there are periods (peak marking periods especially) where staff work ridiculous hours - not just at work but at home too!

I'm afraid I fail to see any rational justification in your post... would be interested to read something to back up your viewpoint other than 'I know someone somewhere who doesn't appear to do much from what I know'.

BigT said:

Hello! Not a teacher or a student here! All the teachers I know work stupidly long hours. They often are in by 8, and then don't get any time to themselves until 8 in the evening. 12 hour days. And that's just the weekdays.

Maybe the teachers you know are just crap teachers...?

BigT said:
Anyway I don't wish to derail this topic any more by talking about the work shy, let's keep on topic.

That's a really provocative statement about something you can't justify and simply isn't true. I'd like to see the results of the students that your "5 hour" teachers get compared to the ones that put the time in - No doubt you will know though, you must help them with their marking if they are only doing 5 hours.

Can we have a teachers topic please mods, I'm not going to add any further comments about teachers on here, it's an NHS topic :D

BigT said:
Can we have a teachers topic please mods, I'm not going to add any further comments about teachers on here, it's an NHS topic :D

Or you could just not make any more comments about teachers because what you're saying about them is complete crap...?

Okay split off what i could from the NHS topic into this new topic about teachers.

Please i can tell this will be an emotive topic so lets keep things civil.

Funky_Monk said:
BigT said:
Anyway I don't wish to derail this topic any more by talking about the work shy, let's keep on topic.

That's a really provocative statement about something you can't justify and simply isn't true. I'd like to see the results of the students that your "5 hour" teachers get compared to the ones that put the time in - No doubt you will know though, you must help them with their marking if they are only doing 5 hours.

So exactly how much marking does a primary school teacher do? Because I've never seen any.

Tom said:
It struggles to make sense given the initial post, in my view.
Same as Tom, the first post doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Although It seems pretty obvious this topic has come about because of some insanely one sided comments about teachers being lazy ::)

Tom said:

Basically it was a pop at me because I had a go at teachers being lazy and taking a day off to play in the snow that cost me a days pay, and still having the money to pay for medical insurance.

I wanted it split because it was spoiling the NHS thread.

I have worked in a primary school in the reception classes and the amount of stuff they have to do is much more than you would think! Let alone how much a higher year teacher would do! Teachers are certainly not lazy!

Poison Tom 96 said:
I have worked in a primary school in the reception classes and the amount of stuff they have to do is much more than you would think! Let alone how much a higher year teacher would do! Teachers are certainly not lazy!

So what would you call someone that doesn't turn up for work?

Tom said:

I felt that too Tom, but it picks up - Maybe a little summary may help (perhaps Daves post, at the start if possible). I don't care really though, I get it lol.

All I want to add, is to all those (few) who think teachers have an easy life, short hours, and great pay, must be quite dense (there goes the Civility Dave ;D) as you recognise this, but don't take it up as a profession?

Am I missing something here? To take care of a bunch of brats bought up by parents who care more about their careers than their kids, resulting in ludicrous competition for jobs, resulting in both deciding to work to pay for private health care, thus further exacerbating the problems?

Teachers? PAH! Easy job man, easy job!! CUT THEIR PAY!

BigT said:
Poison Tom 96 said:

So what would you call someone that doesn't turn up for work?

All depends on the reason behind not turning up! Snow days/personal reasons are not laze! However, simply not being bothered to turn up......

Unfortunately due to a lot of the comments being embedded within discussion that was on-topic in the NHS topic it wasn't an easy split.

BigT said:
Funky_Monk said:
BigT said:

So exactly how much marking does a primary school teacher do? Because I've never seen any.

Well you'd have to ask your friends - Or go back to school. I'm sure you'll survive without a days pay you're entire point is contradictory anyway because you say you can afford medical insurance so you really didn't miss that days pay after all.

I can't understand why you didn't just enjoy the day off with your kids and play in the snow - Like those lazy teachers.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.