• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thatcher's dead

Unless you were poor, female, gay, Argentinian, Cambodian, Chilean, Iraqi, an immigrant to the UK, northern or Nelson Mandela.

Ooh, 6th in the chart!

Not my fault she was so hated.

You could bury her under the pyramid at Glastonbury and the dance floor still wouldn't be big enough.

Atleast she had balls, she destoryed many of my local communities as I'm only about 10 miles from quite a few coal pits that were closed or their capacity seriously reduced, I am not resentful of her it's allowed our area to regenerate and out of those closures we now have Center Parcs Sherwood Forrest and loads of new industrial office sites on the outskirts or Mansfield and the one in Ollerton that houses Center Parcs head office and McArthurglen Outlet right on the A38/M1. Our area might be one of the lucky ones, but I don't know.

Still 6th in the iTunes chart, but now top of the Amazon chart. I'm so proud of my fellow peasants. <3

Blaze said:
You're glorifying war.

The Belgrano was outside the exclusion zone and returning to Argentina. That's not justifiable. It wasn't posing a threat. They didn't have to sink it, they murdered 323 men.

What's your experience of a war at sea ?

Paddling a boat at Butlin's doesn't count btw.

That's the thing with strong leaders, they are often hated because they make difficult choices that some people don't like.
She must of been right most of the time or she would have been voted out.

Her own party kicked her out.

How many people's deaths provoke thousands to take to the streets to celebrate? Look at how many people have already bought Ding Dong. She was hated.

She claimed society didn't exist. It was just 'self'. Well now we're showing her and her living friends that society does exist.

Aspyrational said:

Didn't realise I had to be an Admiral to know firing torpedos at civilians was wrong.

I hope people do the same for you when you die then Blaze, she's gone why bring up the past just look to the future.

Blaze said:

How many people's deaths provoke thousands to take to the streets to celebrate? Look at how many people have already bought Ding Dong. She was hated.

She claimed society didn't exist. It was just 'self'. Well now we're showing her and her living friends that society does exist.

Aspyrational said:

Didn't realise I had to be an Admiral to know firing torpedos at civilians was wrong.

A cruise ship on a day trip was it ?

Yea a few hundred people out of 65 million that's showing them alright.

Hated by a few, respected by the masses. Well see what the viewing figures are on Wednesday won't we? A lot more than bought that stupid record.

ChocolateStarfish said:
That's the thing with strong leaders, they are often hated because they make difficult choices that some people don't like.

You only have to be of extreme benefit to 51% of the population to win an election, less in fact. That's the ludicrous thing about the UK voting system. It isn't reflective of the majority, and if you have big business backing you as they are making hay from it - you are even better off.

It's not possible to boil down her support to such a basic level of debate. She had very wealthy powerful friends, that counts for a lot no matter what you are doing.

Also, it becomes hard to shift someone who is much loved and hated as opinions are strong to move either way, it creates a power impasse. Eventually though, she was ousted unceremoniously by her own former supporters who felt her own importance was now more important than anything else. It takes a long time for someone with such power, to be overthrown in that fashion.

She'd run her race, much like Labour last time, after the second win. No party should ever be in power that long, and certainly no individual unless they are of exceptional ability and character, which Mrs T was not, as is clearly evidenced.

Incidentally, I was a Tory supporter before the last election, and I am now absolutely ashamed of that as I cannot believe how vile and vindictive they are to our national services, and anyone who happens to be having a rough time of it.

That is what I remember most about those Thatcher years growing up in them.

Natalie said:
I hope people do the same for you when you die then Blaze, she's gone why bring up the past just look to the future.
We're still living with what she did.

Aspyrational said:
Blaze said:

Aspyrational said:

A cruise ship on a day trip was it ?
Civilians died. War still has rules. If an Argentine sub sunk a British ship, outside the exclusion zone, moving away from the islands, carrying civilians, you'd think it was unacceptable. Because it was Argentina it's ok?

Anyone seen anything from Argentina by the way? Bet they celebrated as hard as Brixton, Glasgow and Liverpool.

ChocolateStarfish said:
Yea a few hundred people out of 65 million that's showing them alright.

Hated by a few, respected by the masses. Well see what the viewing figures are on Wednesday won't we? A lot more than bought that stupid record.
Most people will be tuning in to make sure she's dead.

ChocolateStarfish said:

British politics has followed a depressingly similar course ad infinitum ever since WW2. The Tories have little interest in the common welfare of the majority, but gain votes predicated on a campaign that focuses on deliberately divisional issues such as race and social class, the classic "Are you thinking what we're thinking stuff?" Admittedly this is usually done in the wake of overspending by a left leaning government. People voted Thatcher in on the strength of this rhetoric, but then, as now, realised the mistake they had made. Or in some cases, they didn't vote her in at all, and suffered the brunt regardless.

Yeah but my local area has benefited from what she has done we wouldn't have diversified to have Center Parcs Sherwood Forest or their head office in the small town next door, along with McArthurglen or the many industrial estates that have sprung up in and around Mansfield in Nottinghamshire.

Blaze said:
You're glorifying war.

The Belgrano was outside the exclusion zone and returning to Argentina. That's not justifiable. It wasn't posing a threat. They didn't have to sink it, they murdered 323 men.

Why did the Argentine navy themselves admit the sinking was a legitimate act of war ?

Maybe they should have consulted a keyboard warrior who cuts and pastes stuff from elsewhere and passes it off as their own.

ChocolateStarfish said:
Best PM we ever had, no argument.

Given that Thatcher was responsible for doubling unemployment and keeping 3 million unemployed for a decade; creating the unregulated financial system that's brought us to our knees; privatised essential infrastructure (water + power) and irreversibly broadened the north/south, rich/poor divides; I don't understand how you could believe that. Sowing the seeds of our current government's vendetta against the poor by putting the unemployed on sickness benefits to artificially lower the unemployment rate hasn't helped anything either.

If you're looking for a great PM, Clement Attlee would be a better place to start.

Aspyrational said:
Blaze said:
You're glorifying war.

Why did the Argentine navy themselves admit the sinking was a legitimate act of war ?

Maybe they should have consulted a keyboard warrior who cuts and pastes stuff from elsewhere and passes it off as their own.
I wrote that myself. But it's cute that I'm a 'keyboard warrior' for being against killing people.

I'm pleased for you being lucky enough to not have to hate Thatcher, but she was a thoroughly evil woman and she's got what she deserved.

Plastic Person said:
ChocolateStarfish said:

British politics has followed a depressingly similar course ad infinitum ever since WW2. The Tories have little interest in the common welfare of the majority, but gain votes predicated on a campaign that focuses on deliberately divisional issues such as race and social class, the classic "Are you thinking what we're thinking stuff?" Admittedly this is usually done in the wake of overspending by a left leaning government. People voted Thatcher in on the strength of this rhetoric, but then, as now, realised the mistake they had made. Or in some cases, they didn't vote her in at all, and suffered the brunt regardless.

That's the thing the people didn't vote her out her party got rid of her because she was becoming bigger than the party and they didn't like it.
When will we see a leader in this country again who's death is world news?

She was our last world leader, possibly ever.

Blaze said:
Aspyrational said:
Blaze said:
You're glorifying war.

I wrote that myself. But it's cute that I'm a 'keyboard warrior' for being against killing people.

I'm pleased for you being lucky enough to not have to hate Thatcher, but she was a thoroughly evil woman and she's got what she deserved.

Against killing people, eh? Yet passionately celebrating someone's death? Not the same thing I know but doesn't exactly help your argument.