• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thatcher's dead

I clearly didn't say that anyone's opinion was worthless. In short I was stating that I personally find the EXTENT of the hatred displayed by some who weren't even around at the time to be fairly bizarre.

I can fully understand people who were directly negatively affected in her time still harbouring strong resentment which finally has led to an emotional release of anger today.

BarryZola said:
I find it quite weird how people who weren't actually born, or were too young to understand what was going on, are taking her time in government so personally that they go as far as to want to 'dance on her grave' or 'throw a party'. I find it very strange how you can take something that you didn't experience so personally, as you don't know exactly how people felt at this time. I can understand young people who have researched some of her failures forming an opinion and maybe not liking her much, but the level of personal hatred shown is somewhat bizarre.

On the other hand, anyone who did live through her period in charge I can completely understand any personal feelings and displays of anger.

To quote the greatest fake Roman General that never lived, "What we do now echoes in eternity."

I can get in my car, drive ten minutes down the road and visit places where there are still visible scars of how she ruined peoples jobs, houses, lives. Just because I wasn't around, doesn't mean I can feel resentment or anger towards her. I've been brought up in a very anti-thatcher ex mining household and town. As cliche as it is I do actually know two families where father and son didn't share a word in over 25 years because of one choosing to work over picketing. Unfortunately their fathers are now dead and went to the grave having not spoken to their sons before they died.

Perhaps I have been blinkered by my upbringing and where I live, however to anyone who hasn't had this you still don't have to look far to see the scars of what she did to "make Britain great again."

Because I wasn't around at the time doesn't mean I can't base me own opinions on what she left behind. I have seen the effects of her government still left today and have formulated my opinion based on that. And that opinion is that I hate her :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smzsIONNh0w#

LiamC said:
BarryZola said:
I find it quite weird how people who weren't actually born, or were too young to understand what was going on, are taking her time in government so personally that they go as far as to want to 'dance on her grave' or 'throw a party'. I find it very strange how you can take something that you didn't experience so personally, as you don't know exactly how people felt at this time. I can understand young people who have researched some of her failures forming an opinion and maybe not liking her much, but the level of personal hatred shown is somewhat bizarre.

On the other hand, anyone who did live through her period in charge I can completely understand any personal feelings and displays of anger.

To quote the greatest fake Roman General that never lived, "What we do now echoes in eternity."

I can get in my car, drive ten minutes down the road and visit places where there are still visible scars of how she ruined peoples jobs, houses, lives. Just because I wasn't around, doesn't mean I can feel resentment or anger towards her. I've been brought up in a very anti-thatcher ex mining household and town. As cliche as it is I do actually know two families where father and son didn't share a word in over 25 years because of one choosing to work over picketing. Unfortunately their fathers are now dead and went to the grave having not spoken to their sons before they died.

Perhaps I have been blinkered by my upbringing and where I live, however to anyone who hasn't had this you still don't have to look far to see the scars of what she did to "make Britain great again."

Because I wasn't around at the time doesn't mean I can't base me own opinions on what she left behind. I have seen the effects of her government still left today and have formulated my opinion based on that. And that opinion is that I hate her :)

I can see what you're saying and can't argue with that. You are probably in a minority though, in the fact that you have been completely surrounded by the direct results of the destruction of the coal industry for your whole life, whereas when I made my comments, I suppose I was aiming them at the majority who havn't grown up in those circumstances. So, errr, yeah ;)

Haha, there's webcams on buildings in the centre of Glasgow. The council have had to turn them off to not show the street party that's broken out.

I love Scotland.

To be fair Britain's traditional steel and coal manufacturing bases were doomed anyway in the long-run even if Thatcher had not intervened to close them down during the 1980's. Countries on the other side of the world could do what we were doing but far better and if we had struggled on I would imagine the decline would have been even longer and more painful for communities across the country. That does not mean however that I support the brutal way in which she conducted the process of deindustrialisation and the shift into a service economy especially when there was no real policy to get new jobs for redundant workers with outdated skill sets.

I am by no means a conservative (often strongly against), but I personally think that she wasn't a terrible lady. The hyperbole in this topic would be amusing if it wasn't so disappointing; celebrating her death in this manner is bordering on offensive in my opinion.

People in this country are very insensitive as to what makes a terrible leader; she didn't exactly have a brutal regime of gulags and concentration camps therefore regardless of our political beliefs we should strive to remember that we are very fortunate here. Say what you want, but it would be gross over exaggeration to label her 'evil' in the same sense as other worldwide leaders.

What annoys me is how every single Prime Minister except Churchill is criticised eventually for something they did. The public voted, on 3 separate occasions, and she was re-elected every single time. If people really hadn't liked her, or supported what she was doing then they would've voted for someone else. Why don't people remember the fact that Ted Heath tried to curb and break the Unions in the 70s? How can a government rule authoritatively when it's at the beck and call of the tyrannical Unions?

I am against 99% of politics so criticise everything.

No I won't argue my point further.

Harvey. said:
People in this country are very insensitive as to what makes a terrible leader; she didn't exactly have a brutal regime of gulags and concentration camps therefore regardless of our political beliefs we should strive to remember that we are very fortunate here.

No, but she slowly and surely removed resources and opportunities from vast swathes of the country, financially and socially crippling them for decades to come, all the while helping create the illusion of worthless scroungers, then even helping to instil that illusion when helping to contrive a benefit state as the statistics needed to reflect it.

She left the gulags and the torture to her Chilean pals mainly.

Wilsy said:
Here is an interesting article which sums up why nobody from Liverpool is going mourn her passing.

http://www.sevenstreets.com/talk-and-opinion/why-liverpool-wont-mourn-margaret-thatcher/

Excellent piece that, thanks for sharing!

Boys from the Blackstuff is an excellent visual representation of what it was like for a lot of people from the north living under Thatchers reign. Anyone who isn't sure of what it was like and what was happening should give that a watch.

The woman's legacy was so big and so affecting, a baby born today could legitimately hold a view on her if it were actually possible. So can we stop with the dismissive "you weren't even around then" comments as they're misplaced.

I really resent the idea that if you weren't alive during her reign then you cannot have an opinion on her. I was born under her power, and a toddler whilst she did her worst. But I was made aware ofwhat her imapct on the country meant for years after.

People forget that decisions made by a PM extend much further than their term, and Thatcher was no exception

margaret thatcher the worlds first british prime minister has died today aged 47. when i was sitting in my living room when it was the afternoon time i heard some people outside of my house clapping and whistling and when i went outside of my house there was loads of people in my street and they was cuddling each other and shouting we did it we did it we finally did it she is gone she is gone she is dead now and that is when i knew that a celebration like this can only be for one person and that person is the iron giant margaret thatcher. now it is 6 hours later and when i look out of my living room window there is people holding up banners and there is a man at the end of my street painting childrens faces and loads of mums and dads are getting the man to paint a picture margaret thatchers corpse on to their childrens faces because they are so glad that she is dead and there is 2 men doing a barbecue wearing prince charles masks and some little girls are doing street dancing to a jls song and they are spelling out thatcher is dead with their bodys and there is a lady selling raffle tickets for a death tombola as well but i am not going to go outside of my house to join in with the celebration because that is not the type of thing that i like to do so i am just going to sit in my living room and watch the celebration outside of my house and wonder to myself if it will ever end. Chris (Simpsons artist) xox

560132_505967786128516_935230096_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=505967786128516&set=pb.165754846816480.-2207520000.1365457044&type=3&theater

I have no opinion on this because I have no interest in politics nor political history. But Chris (simpson artist) is brilliant and felt I needed to share! :p

A show of hands, how many people that have posted here;

> Lived during here 11 years as PM.
> Remember significant changes, problems, or events during the period she was PM, during YOUR lifetime.

You may have studied books, and the Internet, but you're getting a very biased view on the lady. Regardless of personal tastes, she did big things for this country and that can't ever be denied, yet it frequently is by the likes of people in this topic, who are even younger than I am, but know the world of politics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is the third time I shall say it, but I'll be a little blunter.

Stop patronising people. They may not have lived during her time in office, but that does not stop people from having a well-formed and educated opinion of a time in history. That's how history and our knowledge of it works.

Well her policies did shape the country that we have lived in for the last 20-25 years, one which relies heavily on the service sector and which arguably created many of the social and economic problems that we are still dealing with today.

I have never held either an overly negative or positive view on Margaret Thatcher personally, but as you say there is no reason why someone of my age should.

:)