• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Alton Towers Dungeon

This is a really poor idea. The idea that something like this is potentially going in as a temporary investment, and a paid one at that, when there's so much that needs sorting out across the park, is ludicrous. Ever since N:ST, Merlin have continually displayed how little long-term vision they have for the resort, and this, coupled with the seasonal sheds, demonstrate that outlook more vividly and depressingly than ever before.

It has to be temporary, this is going to have actors in, if this was going to be for the long run it would be SBNO within a couple of seasons due to costs of staff.

Good idea - Dungeon attraction done in a way that's right for a theme park.

Use own IP - use money saved on ride hardware theming and effects.

Use the existing ride hardware, and if possible upgrade it - couple of small drops on the boat ride.

New film, more realistic and less cartoony for the great glass elevators from Charlie.

Use artwork, set prices, lighting, screens, animatronics, mist, water, fire, etc to create a great dark ride.

Hire great voice actors, use them once, create an atmospheric narration and sync it to a custom IMA score track. Do it right, do it once.

Keep a decent throughput by doing this.

Included in park admission - perhaps an upcharge for sun readers who get in for free. I have no problem with Merlin seeking ways to gain revenue from free tickets. If you have paid to get in though, it should be included.

Bad idea - Actor led attraction - too expensive to run - cuts in months - closed within a year.

Limited throughput, totally unsuitable for a theme park.

Upsell - not many people will pay for a cheapo attraction with a hundred million quids worth of world class ride hardware in easy walking distance, and included in the admission.

Customer perception - Charlie was included, why isn't this.

Make this a dungeon themed ride with atmosphere and it will work.

Make this an actor led attraction and it will go the way of sub Terra, treetop quest, etc.

To be fair to Merlin, I think the AT sealife centre is done very well and I always enjoy it.

Dungeon themed dark ride pleae Merlin. Put the money saved on the IP into creating one of the best dark rides in the UK.

I think this will be like Wicker Man. Better than we expect. I don't think they will want to tarnish there own IP.

Odds 60% dungeon themed dark ride with ride hosts in character.

40% Actor led experience with poor throughput, dwindling cast as time goes on and an unsustainable economic disaster.

Last edited:
I bet Merlin looked into how well the paid scare mazes do during scare fest and putting in a well known IP scare attraction for the whole season.
Like they could offer it at £5 each and you will be given a selected time to start queuing for the attraction. I bet to even make more money they will have a green screen and have your photo taken in stocks cutting your head off.
Then a dungeon shop nearby.

I just feel like the park is a mess at the moment and this is only going to add to the mess. They should be looking at turning the CCL area into a completely themed area in a similar way to what they have done with Wickerman. It's a blank canvas for them to continue the successful formula they have with Wickerman. Just look at the park as a whole. Spinball Whizzer randonmly lodged between two themed areas and it doesn't tie in with any of them. Galactica clashes with Nemesis in terms of theming. Rita in the middle of dark forest. I know, they have to deal with what they have for now but this is a chance for them to create a full package like they have done with wickerman and what paultons did with lost kingdom. This Dungeons is very short sighted. I feel like there are too many mini themed areas. I would be happy if they had just three fully imersive areas.

They are not interested in long term gain. They just want that first year quick hit.
The ideal scenario would be to create a properly themed land with a big(ish) attraction to open it and a flat. then build on that new themed land over the years. Harry potter/Starwars Galaxy Edge/Avalon in Toverland/Any number of areas in Paultons Park...

Towers have just reverted back to their tried and tested method of just dumping an attraction wherever it will fit and hope it looks good on the advert, binning it off the next year.

In my opinion, this is certainly an... interesting decision on Towers' part. I'm a bit mixed as to how I feel about it, if I'm being honest, because even though I'm certain it will be an outstanding addition to Alton Towers if Wicker Man, Tiger Rock, Gruffalo and The Walking Dead: The Ride are anything to go by, I'm not too sure about them using the CATCF building to house it.

Contrary to the normal opinion, I thought CATCF was a lovely little attraction for families when I last rode it; it used to be one of my favourite things to ride at the park with my mum while my dad and my sister were off riding the bigger rides, as I wasn't tall enough for Nemesis or Oblivion at that point. Even after I was tall enough, I still really enjoyed riding it if the queue was short. For that reason, I was kind of sad when CATCF closed for Towers Loving Care in 2016. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I always envisaged CATCF's replacement being a similar family-orientated ride, something like Gruffalo at Chessington, to go alongside a retheme of CCL.

On the other hand, while I am a little disappointed that CCL probably isn't being rethemed, I'm sure the Alton Towers Dungeon will settle in just fine; they could easily pass it off as part of the Towers!

So, in conclusion, I'm sure it will be a wonderful addition to the park, but it is certainly an interesting decision in my opinion.
P.S. Sorry for long post. Also, sorry if this post seems a bit negative I try to be as positive as possible!

I've been watching a video of Toyland Tours tonight for old times sake and it's actually really sad when you see how far the park has declined. Toyland Tours was just one example of a vibrant attraction that was great for both kids and adults. Watching it back really made me remember those memories as it really captured "the magic of Alton Towers"... it was something unique, something special and was a perfect fit for the park.

Now it's all about carbon copy attractions with no originality and no thought process. It's just becoming a bit of a homogenization like your high street with all the old charm and character disappearing to be replaced by the same things you find everywhere else.

In fairness, Wickerman is the complete opposite of what you describe .it isn’t just Wickerman either, people have their own opinions on the quality of rides like The Smiler and NST, but both were at least highly original concepts.

I’m no fan of the dungeon concept either, but to suggest the Park is being filled with copy and paste brands simply isn’t true.

I’m sure the next large investment will follow a similar route to Wickerman. It would just be nice if the smaller ones did as well.

Other than Cbeebies land, there is now not going to be a single area of the park that is somewhat sinister.

I think Alton Towers have forgotten the true meaning of escapism and indeed what a theme park should be.

Other than Cbeebies land, there is now not going to be a single area of the park that is somewhat sinister.

I think Alton Towers have forgotten the true meaning of escapism and indeed what a theme park should be.

Katanga Canyon.

Although your point still stands.

What I’m hoping, although probably more in hope than expectation, Is that the next development is going to be a new area with a light, happy theme and hopefully a water ride.

Katanga Canyon.

Although your point still stands.

What I’m hoping, although probably more in hope than expectation, Is that the next development is going to be a new area with a light, happy theme and hopefully a water ride.

Oh yes, I always forget about Katanga Canyon as that is now basically just a weedy swamp with a few HB Leisure outlets

I find that its better when an area is themed around a standout ride, along with a couple of accompanying. Seems neater and easier to stick with a central theme. We may see this for future developements, since Wickerman was successful but just disappointed that the perfect area for developement is going to have a Dungeons 'dumped' in the middle of it.

Horrible Histories is a pretty popular IP, also BBC owned too, and a dungeons style attraction would fit right in. Not the cheeriest of themes, I know, but it is aimed at young kids.

This could be what they have in store for CCL eventually. Rather that than leave it to rot in the state it's currently in.