• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Alton Towers Dungeon

In a recent TPWW vlog Shaun made a great point in that it would have been better for them to have situated the Dungeons outside of the main park and have it open as a separate attraction open until later in the evening. Like you say for many people coming to the park they aren’t going to want to sacrifice that large amount of time to do the Dungeons when there are rides to be done and park opening hours are limited.

But to be honest though, if the Dungeons were removed and replaced with something else I don’t think too many people would miss it at all.
Yeah I saw that, think it would of been a better option.
Hence I see them removing it and using it as David Walliams space for a new dark ride.

Whilst it'd be cute to see Toyland back - it closed almost two decades ago, and it'd be a very niche thing to revive. Many people either won't care or won't remember the ride. Same with many things - Haunted House, Sanctuary etc. - there'd be a combination of confusion as to why they're suddenly bringing back something dead and outdated, and why they didn't do something original.

Whilst it'd be cute to see Toyland back - it closed almost two decades ago, and it'd be a very niche thing to revive. Many people either won't care or won't remember the ride. Same with many things - Haunted House, Sanctuary etc. - there'd be a combination of confusion as to why they're suddenly bringing back something dead and outdated, and why they didn't do something original.
You're probably right. However much I miss those attractions, things do move on.

Passholders have to pay for Alton dungeons. There is a discount but still have to pay, I think it’s the same at Warwick castle too.
Yeah, the Warwick one used to be free for premium pass holders back in the day, but standard pass holders would have to pay.

Towers has always been paid for pass holders, except Alton towers pass holders got it free when it opened, but don’t think they do anymore.

Does anyone know if the Dungeon is actually profitable for the park? It’s a staff heavy attraction and I’ve always thought that people would be put off by having to pay extra, when the very concept of a theme park is the ‘pay one price’ concept. Additionally, having to pay for an attraction that lasts close to an hour in a park that has some very controversial opening hours seems like a double blow. I just can’t see it lasting long.

Edit - I’ve just done a quick scan on ticket availability and tickets seem available for every slot this week including the weekend.

I think it works at Warwick because effectively there is ‘less to do’ to some extent. The Dungeons is (probably) one of the more exciting attractions offered there, so there’s more incentive to visit it. There’s also the point it feels more ‘on brand’ for a castle-style attraction.

For Alton, you’ve got a huge number of rides and attractions which offer a far more interesting experience than what The Dungeons can. When you weigh up you have sometimes just 6 hours to get round everything for your typical average punter, of course your priorities will lie with the rides and coasters over an upcharge, sometimes hour-long walkthrough.

Does anyone know if the Dungeon is actually profitable for the park? It’s a staff heavy attraction and I’ve always thought that people would be put off by having to pay extra, when the very concept of a theme park is the ‘pay one price’ concept. Additionally, having to pay for an attraction that lasts close to an hour in a park that has some very controversial opening hours seems like a double blow. I just can’t see it lasting long.

Edit - I’ve just done a quick scan on ticket availability and tickets seem available for every slot this week including the weekend.
The Dungeons feels like a waste of space for a really good ride system. I wouldn't be sad one bit if the ride was to close down and rethemed to something else. The availability for tickets as well just proves how unpopular it is to Guests. I don't remember Guests begging for a Dungeons at the park, do you?

I'd still love a Reimagined Toyland Tours implemented in some form to suit the area next to it, perhaps have replace the Sonic Scene with a famous screen from one of Walliams books.

To be honest, I think they'd be better off scrapping the actor-led parts of the dungeon and just running the boat ride for free to help soak up the crowds, then change the theme to something family friendly when time and budget allows.
That’s a good shout actually for the short term. They could just call it The Black River for a couple of years and then gut it and start again.
That whole area is crying out for its own mini themed land. Merlin still own the Port Discovery trademark. Have the dark ride themed as Sir Algernon’s Grand Adventure or something similar, stick a family flat in the area similar to the thrill level of Twirling Toadstool, plus a small play area for the younger kids, and theme up the Burger Kitchen.

One of the many medium level investments the park needs but one that would make a massive difference.

That’s a good shout actually for the short term. They could just call it The Black River for a couple of years and then gut it and start again.
That whole area is crying out for its own mini themed land. Merlin still own the Port Discovery trademark. Have the dark ride themed as Sir Algernon’s Grand Adventure or something similar, stick a family flat in the area similar to the thrill level of Twirling Toadstool, plus a small play area for the younger kids, and theme up the Burger Kitchen.

One of the many medium level investments the park needs but one that would make a massive difference.
Why not a Remastered version of Around the World in 80 days? That's victorian and could fit in the Port Discovery theme.

It appeared deserted today. Nobody seemed to even give it a second look with the semi hidden entrance.

If you look at the frontage from the Skyride station, you can see the pipework from CATCF coming back through the paint. Quality.

Last edited:
It appeared deserted today. Nobody seemed to even give it a second look with he semi hidden entrance.

If you look at the frontage from the Skyride station, you can see the pipework from CATCF coming back through the paint. Quality.
Blimey! I knew Merlin made budget cuts, but even the quality of the Paint they use? That's absurd!! What pigs XD