• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Flume

Re: Future of the Flume

But when The Flume does go we will loose its wacky bath time theme :( I really have a soft spot for this theme! I just find it really quirky and the ride really cheerful in general!

Hope they dont get rid of the duck in the tunnel! highlight of the ride lol! quack quack quack quack

It will be an interesting change when it does go. The suite in ATH will get rethemed, and the whole marketing from imperial leather will no doubt leave too. It covers a lot of land, so what could replace it could be quite exciting!

I think the Flume should stay because the ride is popular with most of the people that visit. I think that they should replace the Flume with a new one beacuse i think that it would be hard to put another coster there because of the trees and i think that Alton Towers don' want to be spending money cutting down trees when they have better things to soend there money on.

They could also try and make the station look like it is part of the Flume as in paint it so that the colour fit in with the ride they could also put better water featurs around the station. The thing that i have noticed in the tunnel after the second drop when i first started going to Alton Towers is the duck inside the tunnel shot water at you and moved but now it have been moned to a different place and dose not move.

Overall the Flume is a great ride and i don't want to see it go so overall i give the ride a 4 out of 5 rating.

Whilst the space would be useful, and it does meander rather a lot, there is something quite relaxing when you end up wandering out into the forest part. It somehow feels like you are somewhere else.

If they get rid, then something pretty special needs to replace it (which I would personally prefer as flumes over all I can take or leave). As flumes go though, it's not bad, and good to have a traditional one - if they are keeping it though, I'd like to see them rework it completely based on its current layout to take advantage of that.

It is neither one thing nor the other at present really - and a top theme park should have a top water ride or two.

I do find it rather charming though.

Oblivinator 96 said:
The thing that i have noticed in the tunnel after the second drop when i first started going to Alton Towers is the duck inside the tunnel shot water at you and moved but now it have been moned to a different place and dose not move.
:eek: I was not aware of this change!

The enormous duck is the only reason I go on the ride. Have they removed the hidden shower in there as well?
TheMan said:
Whilst the space would be useful, and it does meander rather a lot, there is something quite relaxing when you end up wandering out into the forest part. It somehow feels like you are somewhere else.
I agree. I actually quite enjoy gently floating through the trees several feet in the air. But that forested area could be put to much better use.

Wouldn't it have been brilliant if they built Thirteen in those trees, with the secret drop near to the Flume's current station. It could have even been a part of Gloomy Wood, with Haunted Hollow turned into the ride's queue line - therefore avoiding the case of two "gloomy/dark wood/forest" themed areas. Whatever, just a thought.

With the departure of Corkscrew am I right in thinking this is now the oldest ride in the park?

Anyway, I've wanted to see the back of The Flume since Merry England became Mutiny Bay to be honest. I feel it's a ride that's run it's course now as there are much better options available out there on the market.

That and, since they've felled a whole host of trees around its course down near Haunted Hollow it just seems so open and exposed. It's not a bad ride in anyway at all, I just think it's really run its course now. Still, I adore the rides soundtrack :)

LiamC said:
With the departure of Corkscrew am I right in thinking this is now the oldest ride in the park?

Anyway, I've wanted to see the back of The Flume since Merry England became Mutiny Bay to be honest. I feel it's a ride that's run it's course now as there are much better options available out there on the market.

That and, since they've felled a whole host of trees around its course down near Haunted Hollow it just seems so open and exposed. It's not a bad ride in anyway at all, I just think it's really run its course now. Still, I adore the rides soundtrack :)

I think it is...or is The Blade just as old or is that 1984 installed?

Poison Tom 96 said:
LiamC said:

I think it is...or is The Blade just as old or is that 1984 installed?
The Blade first opened in 1981, as did the Flume in its original form.

The Flume became a farce when it changed from being the Log Flume IMO. I dont get how a theme park which prides itself on being second to Disney (debatable) can take a ride, featuring logs drifting down a river through the woods and re-vamp it into what we see today. Its gone from a ride well suited to its suroundings to a awfully out of place attraction.

I persoanlly like the ride as a ride, and I think Log Flumes in general are on there way out, for that reason I'd like to see it renovated and returned to its origional state.

If that doesn't happen, I think its days are numbered.

Ash

Ash84 said:
I dont get how a theme park which prides itself on being second to Disney (debatable) can take a ride, featuring logs drifting down a river through the woods and re-vamp it into what we see today.

Tussauds did that, not Merlin.

What about an Intamin Aquatrax, with a different theme but with the same layout, so banked curves, hills and all the same things. Wouldn't it be cool to be in a small, boat that speeds through the forest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TedTheHuman said:
Ash84 said:
I dont get how a theme park which prides itself on being second to Disney (debatable) can take a ride, featuring logs drifting down a river through the woods and re-vamp it into what we see today.

I am aware of that, its an Alton Towers forum is it not, no a Merlin one, so whats your point?

Ash

Ash84 said:
I am aware of that, its an Alton Towers forum is it not, no a Merlin one, so whats your point?

You're blaming Merlin for something Tussauds did. Also your point about this being a Alton forum and not a Merlin has no relevance to what I'm saying. As we're basically discussing park management, which in this case is talking about both Merlin's and Tussauds's ways of running Alton.

::)

Ash84 said:
TedTheHuman said:
Ash84 said:

Ash

As far as I'm aware Alton Towers itself has never said it considers itself a park second to Disney? It's Merlin Entertainments who say they are second to Disney as a global entertainments group :)

Anyway, before we wander into a Merlin/Disney debate too much; The Flume :p

TedTheHuman said:
Ash84 said:

You're blaming Merlin for something Tussauds did. Also your point about this being a Alton forum and not a Merlin has no relevance to what I'm saying. As we're basically discussing park management, which in this case is talking about both Merlin's and Tussauds's ways of running Alton.

I am not discussing the management at all, I'm talking about the Flume, which going by the topic title is what the topic is about.

Ash

Ash84 said:
I am not discussing the management at all

Yes you are, Blaming Merlin for something they didn't do sounds like discussing the management to me.

Ash84 said:
TedTheHuman said:
Ash84 said:

I am not discussing the management at all, I'm talking about the Flume, which going by the topic title is what the topic is about.

Ash

You are discussing the changes to The Flume, which in turn would have been decided and implemented by Tussauds management at the time. When any aspect of a ride change is implemented it invariably comes down to management decisions. That's a fact that you can't get away from :)

Ash84 said:
I Would love one of you wise guys to quote me even mentioning Merlin, let alone blaming them!

Ash

There's no need to be rude.

You didn't mention Merlin once, you're right (it was however Tussauds who changed the theme of The Flume, but that's a different point.)

You did however say that you didn't mention management, which again you're right, you didn't. However, the fact that the theming of The Flume changed DOES invariably come down to the fact that at some point in time it would have been a manager or managers decision to change the themeing of The Flume...which happened under Tussauds direction.

Like I said before, you can't talk about the changes that have happened to a current ride without bringing into the discussion the group that owned and operated the park at the time. That's all we're saying :)