• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Flume

And, in other news...

What kind of time frame do we realistically see towers looking to replace the flume. The development plan seems to rule it out for the next 3-4 years at least which gives manufactures time to bring something completely new (and wet) to the market.

LiamC said:
Ash84 said:
I Would love one of you wise guys to quote me even mentioning Merlin, let alone blaming them!

Ash

There's no need to be rude.

You didn't mention Merlin once, you're right (it was however Tussauds who changed the theme of The Flume, but that's a different point.)

You did however say that you didn't mention management, which again you're right, you didn't. However, the fact that the theming of The Flume changed DOES invariably come down to the fact that at some point in time it would have been a manager or managers decision to change the themeing of The Flume...which happened under Tussauds direction.

Like I said before, you can't talk about the changes that have happened to a current ride without bringing into the discussion the group that owned and operated the park at the time. That's all we're saying :)

Im sorry but your wrong ash84 simply stated that the re-theme was a disaster and locked as out of place as a fish out of water! who is/was responsible for it in this topic is absolutely irrelevant as is accusing ash of suggesting that.

Guys... Debate over nothing much? Ash didn't really actually mention Merlin directly or blame them for the decision. The confusion has clearly come from the indirect Merlin reference via the Disney line.

For the record, Merlin don't ever claim their attractions are 2nd best in the world but that they are 2nd in terms of visitor numbers - which is a fact.

Can we draw a line here please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Sounds good to me.

I do believe without renovation the Flume will be lucky to last much beyond 2015. If it has to go....who knows what could replace it? Maybe a smaller scale woodie would work in the trees, aimed more towards the family market than white-knuckle thrill seekers. If the station was at the Gloomy Wood end that would get rid of the need for it to tie in to Mutiny Bay and give Gloomy Wood another ride.

I'm thinking cross between Tomahawk and the Streak maybe.

Ash

Ash84 said:
Sounds good to me.

I do believe without renovation the Flume will be lucky to last much beyond 2015. If it has to go....who knows what could replace it? Maybe a smaller scale woodie would work in the trees, aimed more towards the family market than white-knuckle thrill seekers. If the station was at the Gloomy Wood end that would get rid of the need for it to tie in to Mutiny Bay and give Gloomy Wood another ride.

Ash

I think a classic out and back woodie would be great for GW although I can't really see how the geography of that area would allow for even a moderately sized drop. Aren't the planning restrictions around FV and GW the tightest of the whole park? I think that's why a woodie has never really been considered for anywhere other than the valley.

There are tight restrictions on the Flume site which is why a coaster with large footers wouldn't probably be allowed. Look at the way the Flume's raised up and the way the supports are fairly minimal.

However, a wooden coaster may work for the Flume site as the footers for them are fairly small and wouldn't disturb much of the surroundings once the ride reaches the end of its life. A pirate theme would work well as I don't think Alton requires another spooky/scary themed for a coaster. :p

I'd like to see a family wooden coaster called 'Blunderbuss'. They could also still get away with an RMC hybrid (Outlaw Run style) through the valley as they'd still be vastly different ride experiences. ;) :p

If Alton replaced the Flume, i'd want another water ride - every theme park needs a log flume!!! Its such a fun, family ride which is enourmously popular on a sunny day :)

I agree that a water ride should come first as they need the lake to drain the Flume. Would it be possible to construct a water ride and a wooden coaster that duel in that space? Sea monster vs pirates might be a bit cliched but who doesn't love pirates and sea monsters? :p

Ash84 said:
Sounds good to me.

Ash

I think a classic out and back woodie would be great for GW although I can't really see how the geography of that area would allow for even a moderately sized drop. Aren't the planning restrictions around FV and GW the tightest of the whole park? I think that's why a woodie has never really been considered for anywhere other than the valley.

They have been doing quite major work on the turntable of the flume over closed season, so I cant see the ride going any time soon. I have no idea if any work has been done elsewhere on the ride, but it really needs a good clean! The bath themeing looks so faded and dirty.

I guess the Flume could continue so long as there was something else to it between the drops and the indoor ducks. :p If it were to have more effects such as misters, sounds and theming it could be really great. Add into the mix a family woodie that duels with it and it could be superb!

Imagine if it was themed to rum barrels being smuggled from the Tavern in Mutiny Bay and a wooden coaster was another group of pirates trying to steal it all off them (cue gun name). Two rides with one story. The Rumrunner River Falls and Blunderbuss! :p

BigAl said:
Imagine if it was themed to rum barrels being smuggled from the Tavern in Mutiny Bay and a wooden coaster was another group of pirates trying to steal it all off them (cue gun name). Two rides with one story. The Rumrunner River Falls and Blunderbuss! :p

Al, no one likes a smart arse... trust me ;)

I really love that idea - though I like the baths, it would be nice to have something else in that lovely wooded area, as I have said before, it's really nice out there and a little bit more would set it off beautifully - but not so much as to completely disturb or remove that restful atmosphere.

I also agree with the folks pointing out, it is nice to have a traditional flume. There aren't actually many traditional big rides at Alton, so the Flume and Rapids need to stay in some form - even if it is new, I'd still like the traditional kind.

I really wasn't a fan of Storm Trousers at DMP.

I think this will probably be the last major refurbishment for the Flume. Next time its state of repair falls to the point where it is no longer operational (two or three years?), I think they'll replace it rather than refurbishing it again. :)

Sam said:
I think this will probably be the last major refurbishment for the Flume. Next time its state of repair falls to the point where it is no longer operational (two or three years?), I think they'll replace it rather than refurbishing it again. :)

Can it cost more to refurb than replace though? Especially as it is hugely popular in appropriate weather.

I was just about to say another ridiculous thing, why don't they build a log flume indoors...

Perhaps this is the way forward though for Alton too, somehow build an indoor attraction/water/dark ride epic? Bit too OTT maybe? Saves it being largely a summer only attraction.

I don't think they'd go for an indoor ride, especially not where the flume is now, because they need massive buildings to house them. Unless you can build them on the edges of the park, like Duel and Charlie, you've got an awful lot of building to cover to stop it sticking out like a sore thumb! :p

I think they'd consider the cost of ongoing refurbs, more than the actual cost of an individual refurb. If it needs redoing more often, I'd say every other year is a bit too frequent for a ride to need overhauling, then it would make "commercial" sense to demolish it and replace it with a newer model.

I do hope they would go for another standard flume though, I love I good water ride! :D

Hafema's Splash Ride or one of Mack's many water rides would be a decent replacement. They can seat more people which could allow the ride to do more interesting things such as get turned around and sent into a reverse drop indoors, etc...

TheMan said:
Can it cost more to refurb than replace though? Especially as it is hugely popular in appropriate weather.

Depends on the state of the ride. Sometimes it's just best to remove a ride completely as it can often be far cheaper than refurbing it. Or in some cases a removal would be more beneficial to the park so they can add something more up to date and with the times (e.g. Corkscrew).

The Flume is 32 years old now. Over its lifetime its had a lot of work done and the past few years it's been apparent that Alton Towers are not taking as much care of it as they used to, they just seem to do necessary work to keep it running.

Unless they intend on surprising us with a massive refurbishment I can see it being removed in a few years time. Even if they still want a Log Flume ride situated there it will make more sense in the long run to just knock the current ride down and get a modern model built.

BigAl said:
more interesting things such as get turned around and sent into a reverse drop indoors, etc...

Probably not wise...have you ever seen the frequency of maintenance problems with these particular sections on Valhalla? :p

Is that the same for the Hafema model though? Valhalla is a 13 year old Intamin too. Storm Force 10 from Bear Rides seems to work fine too.

:)

BigAl said:
Is that the same for the Hafema model though? Valhalla is a 13 year old Intamin too. Storm Force 10 from Bear Rides seems to work fine too.

:)

I imagine I am quite on my own in not really liking novelty water rides unless they have a solid one first. A straight forward log flume will get more family members on, than something that twists around, drops backwards etc. I personally hated that on Storm Force. I do like Valhalla though, that was intense on the first go not having a clue what was happening with all the effects on.

That said, they still had a standard flume then. That is synonymous with a park really, a traditional family flume, with a little/mid/bigger drop configuration if possible or variations there of.

Yes it can be said it's a bit boring, but it is something the whole family tends to jump on more often than not on a hot day.

I didn't meant to build indoor one in the place of the Flume by the way, it would obviously need to be somewhere else, I have no idea where they could put it though - I think it would be an interesting addition to Alton though to have a well themed indoor dark water ride.

It needs a new dark ride, and a new water ride potentially, why not throw them together lol - save a bit of wonga!