• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The I Feel Down Topic.

I will be honest with you and say I have made a mess in lots of threads (as many people reading this will remember) and there are many posts I wish I could delete.
I can't think of any of yours where I've thought that; I think you're an excellent poster! Although your post does very much sum up how I feel...

I guess it's like they always say; "you are your own harshest critic"...

@Matt N after reading through your comments in the covid thread and how people reacted I don't think 'you made a mess' at all. I think you stated an opinion you had at the time that made sense in your head and could scientifically make sense to a degree. You gave your reasoning.

You then were quite harshly judged for your opinion however some good points were made. It isn't wrong for you to have different idea's. People's idea's change depending on who they speak to and what perspectives they have. I imagine from reading it that your view has altered and that's great if it's what you truly believe. People's perspectives can alter views but you shouldn't let it force you if you still believe something different.

In other words it's okay to have a different opinion and have reasoning for it. Even if not completely correct things make sense in people head's. Matt your a solid poster and I agree with lots of your posts, I think you shouldn't worry to much on the occasions when it feels like nobody agrees with you because it's probably not strictly true.

It's very easy to misinterpret a differing of opinions to everyone "hating you". Just because someone disagrees with the points you make doesn't mean they dislike you. Heck I've had full blown disagreements with some of my best mates on multiple occasions, but that's just having passion for a subject more than anything else. I can understand though that it's something that's very difficult to remember on subjects that are as emotive as Covid.

As for regretting posts, never do that! The whole point of a discussion forum is to post what you think at the time, and then read and consider the differing takes that come in response. If that changes your opinion, great. If it doesn't, that's also fine too - we all have our own minds. A forum should be no different to a conversation in real life. You can't remove the words you've said in the real world, merely develop and clarify your opinion as the debate goes on. It's no different here on TST, just remember lively debate doesn't indicate a hatred of you as a person, the fact they've taken the time to read your opinion and respond should indicate the complete opposite :).

@Matt N if I had one piece of advice it's don't spend words apologising for your opinion, either directly by negatively phrasing your point.

Your opinion is yours, be proud of it. If someone doesn't agree that's fine, neither of you are necessarily wrong. Sometimes someone will raise a point which leads you to change your opinion, and that's fine too. Changing your opinion and recognising you may have been wrong previously doesn't show a past weakness, it's a strength of learning. If you read a post today you wrote yesterday and no longer agree with it all you have done is learnt!

To say I'm devastated is a pretty accurate statement. :cry: IndieAndy was one of my favourite YouTubers, and seeing a notification that he'd uploaded another video was always a nice feeling. I never knew him personally, of course, but I did have a few interactions with him online, and he was always so nice, with such a warm & friendly personality that really showed in so much of what he did. What's most cruel is that he only got married a few months ago, and had great-sounding plans for 2022. I'm not even joking when I say that I honestly feel I learned so much about how autism personally affects me thanks to IndieAndy, and I truly believe it would've been a privilege to have him as a friend.

Last edited:

To say I'm devastated is a pretty accurate statement. :cry: IndieAndy was one of my favourite YouTubers, and seeing a notification that he'd uploaded another video was always a nice feeling. I never knew him personally, of course, but I did have a few interactions with him online, and he was always so nice, with such a warm & friendly personality that really showed in so much of what he did. What's most cruel is that he only got married a few months ago, and had great-sounding plans for 2022. I'm not even joking when I say that I honestly feel I learned so much about how autism personally affects me thanks to IndieAndy, and I truly believe it would've been a privilege to have him as a friend.

I've not heard of him before, but it's still news I don't want to hear. He was only three years older than me for a start. :(
RIP Andy.

Well then, my anxiety is getting more challenging for me to control and I don't know if it is just me overthinking in which I have problems with admittedly over the years. All the same, I'm trying to write out some some of my work to help keep my mind of things which are in fact fictional stories I hope to publish someday and some of you will say that I need to take a break. I can't; I have to write to keep going to keep my mind of things but I'm really worried about things.

I haven't got Twitter if you want to talk to me, I got away from there after just seeing what a hellhole that place was and funnily enough was one that was making me just depressed, PM if you want to talk to me for either giving me advice or comfort.

Sorry to bump, but is it only me getting incredibly anxious about the situation in Ukraine and its potential ramifications?

Even though it's currently quite a localised situation, I'm having horrible visions of WW3 beginning before we know it, and the world having to go through things like air raids and aerial bombings; basically a repeat of WW1 and WW2, but with Russia instead of Germany. Many people have told me I'm worrying unnecessarily, but I've got to say, it is making me anxious. Am I the only one?

Sorry to bump, but is it only me getting incredibly anxious about the situation in Ukraine and its potential ramifications?

Even though it's currently quite a localised situation, I'm having horrible visions of WW3 beginning before we know it, and the world having to go through things like air raids and aerial bombings; basically a repeat of WW1 and WW2, but with Russia instead of Germany. Many people have told me I'm worrying unnecessarily, but I've got to say, it is making me anxious. Am I the only one?
Its not unnecessary worry Matt, I know your not alone. You've got to remember that although WW3 is possible it's very unlikely.

Plus if WW3 did happen it wouldn’t be. Unlike the previous two It would just go nuclear from the start and there would be not much of the world left.

It won’t go nuclear. Anyway If work war three did happen we’d all have to play our part in some way. Our ancestors have done it twice there no reason we couldn’t give it a good go too.

It is highly unlikely to go nuclear. It will be more than likely cyber attacks, instead of taking out industry with bombing raids, they will be taken out by destroying the data and overheating the computer possessers until they break.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

If you find the news is overwhelming then it might be beneficial to have a break from it.

If you are anything like me then you can find yourself constantly refreshing news websites, looking at live feeds, watching videos, watching on TV, etc. The technology in our hands makes it possible to consume it continually. There comes a point where for your own mental health you have to detach from it. Maybe only look at the news once or twice a day and don't get too engrossed in it. Try to occupy your mind by doing other activities you enjoy.

Thanks, all; I really appreciate the reassurance.
Plus if WW3 did happen it wouldn’t be. Unlike the previous two It would just go nuclear from the start and there would be not much of the world left.
Gary, when posting in the 'I Feel Down' support topic, perhaps consider that not every poster is as long-term fixated on the idea of being ripped apart by plutonium as yourself?
I'm sure that's made him feel much better haha.
I’d be lying if I said I was even slightly happy about the idea of nuclear warfare (if I’m being honest, the idea of nuclear bombs scares me just as much as, if not more than, the idea of air raids), but I understand I am seemingly in the minority there given the previous existence of the “Anything Radioactive Topic” on here.

But I do appreciate Gary’s reassuring sentiment; thanks for your post @GaryH.
Why worry about things you can't control or influence? Put your thoughts and efforts into things you can.

Sorry if that sounds flippant or unhelpful, but with a change of mindset you can manage anxieties.
If you find the news is overwhelming then it might be beneficial to have a break from it.

If you are anything like me then you can find yourself constantly refreshing news websites, looking at live feeds, watching videos, watching on TV, etc. The technology in our hands makes it possible to consume it continually. There comes a point where for your own mental health you have to detach from it. Maybe only look at the news once or twice a day and don't get too engrossed in it. Try to occupy your mind by doing other activities you enjoy.
Cheers, both; I appreciate the reassurance. I guess this news is still at a stage where I can (to a degree) filter it out, and I guess it might help if I try not to follow it too intensely; I guess the longer I spend reading it, the longer I’m worrying for.

It’s tough not to feel overwhelmed, though; this whole thing just feels like such a kick in the teeth for the world after having just lived through COVID… I was hoping we’d return to a bit more stability this year.

Gary, when posting in the 'I Feel Down' support topic, perhaps consider that not every poster is as long-term fixated on the idea of being ripped apart by plutonium as yourself?

Just going to echo this. In a thread that people do come to when they're feeling down, can we try and avoid posts that only likely to add to any worries. Keep those thoughts for the threads on the subject matter, which people can choose to avoid should they wish.

Thanks!

Remember @Matt N that we live in a day and age where news can spread very quickly. But there are things you can do to ease your worries.

Try to stay off news sites and especially social media. Sensationalism sells / gets likes so people will only show the horrors and the worst of the worst. There is little we can do to help over here in England, but one thing you can do for yourself is to remove yourself from the situations that are making you feel that way

Look for the helpers! Even in the worst of times you can see the goodness of humanity and see the people helping to rebuild, save and clean up. These people are the heroes and they will restore your faith

Take time for yourself - I get its hard because the news is everywhere and it may feel like its circling around you but go for a walk without your phone, turn the news off and listen to music or meditate

but most of all remember that it is normal to be worried and anxious, you shouldn't feel bad for having these feelings and to talk to people, the worst of thoughts come when your alone and worried, so make an effort to speak to others and enjoy yourself, it may feel wrong but your mental health and health must always come first