• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The I Feel Down Topic.

I have to learn the first 36 elements of the periodic table for chemistry... :( In a week, does anyone have any good easy and fast ways to learn it?

Complete BS. At no stage in learning Chemistry do you need a periodic table; you get them given in the exams.

Still, the best way is writing it out, whilst not looking, until you can get them all right. Look at the ones you've missed out, and remember them for the next time. It'll probably take around 20-30 minutes max.

^Ok, my chem teacher is annoying and evil, I have only had 1 double period with him as well. Chem is my best science as well. :I

To be fair, there's no harm in learning a chunk of the periodic table, especially at this very early stage of the year when it's not going to get in the way of other work. The reasoning "you get given it in exams" is poor at best.

Having said that, it is undoubtedly a difficult task. Just do your best, and if your teacher decides your best isn't good enough, that's the point at which to decide that he is a bad, evil teacher.

It will come, over time you need to know everything to do with Group 1, Group 2, Group 7 and Group 8 and how things change down groups and across periods.

Good Luck.

Pretty sure in my day you only had to know that the ones on the left go bang in water, and the ones on the right don't. :p

You seem to be having a lot of panic over this new school of yours mate. The best advice I can think of is to stop giving a damn. My chem teacher used to enjoy overloading us with complicated stuff that we didn't need to know. I think he had a bet with one of the Lab techs that he could make someone's head explode.
Just remember, in the grand scheme of things, nothing matters. It's not worth stressing when all we are is a random assortment of subatomic particles that exist for less than a blink of an eye.

Just thought I'd pop in here that if anyone wants to talk about anything, my PM/Facebook/Skype/Twitter is always open.....

DiogoJ42 said:
Just remember, in the grand scheme of things, nothing matters. when all we are is a random assortment of subatomic particles that exist for less than a blink of an eye.

Try using that as an excuse for not doing your chemistry homework and see what happens ;) :D

I once asked my physics teacher "what's the point of learning anything when it'll all be disproved in fifty years time?"
It threw him for a few seconds. Eventually he said "because it's the best we've got at the moment."

Can't really argue with that. :p

DiogoJ42 said:
I once asked my physics teacher "what's the point of learning anything when it'll all be disproved in fifty years time?"
It threw him for a few seconds. Eventually he said "because it's the best we've got at the moment."

Can't really argue with that. :p
Actually that's pretty smart

alee298 said:
I have to learn the first 36 elements of the periodic table for chemistry... :( In a week, does anyone have any good easy and fast ways to learn it?

One of my Chemistry teachers said we should try and learn at least the first 20 as it will help in the future. Not sure if it really helped at all during my time at school but I still can recite the first 20 elements of the table.

I just leant them by saying them over and over again. Boring but it does stick in the end.

I feel very sad and alone. Everyone else has achieved much more than me. I've never achieved anything, or done anything of any worth. I will not be remembered, or create anything of any cultural value. I will die and be forgotten.

That makes me sad. Well, not in itself. If I created nothing of any importance but led a happy life, that's sort-of a great work in itself. If I was sad, but created beautiful things like Francis Bacon or Sylvia Plath, that'd be OK too. But I'm very sad, and useless at everything. A chronic underachiever.

While you, you do so well, almost like a self-parody. Your levels of success, at winning, at achieving in almost every field make me bitter and jealous, and turn me into a horrible person. I don't want to hope for your occasional failure, the inevitable stumble, but I find that I do. And when it never comes, I just feel even more loathsome of myself.

Jem8472 said:
alee298 said:

One of my Chemistry teachers said we should try and learn at least the first 20 as it will help in the future. Not sure if it really helped at all during my time at school but I still can recite the first 20 elements of the table.

I just leant them by saying them over and over again. Boring but it does stick in the end.

Yeah, when you are a) on Pointless, or b) watching Pointless and the category is "Elements of the Periodic Table." ;)

Sam, you are good at something. posting deep stuff, maybe you could achieve in the field of writing. have you thought of writing a book about a underachieving depressed lad viewing great and wonderful event. just think of the interesting view he would have of the Olympics, a load of high achievers from all over the world.

To be honest with you Sam, sometimes it takes years and years to find the right thing to achieve in. trust me, I been in the position of underachieving. and it hard to achieve with the black dog biting your behind, however it hard to get the black dog off your behind without achieving something. not matter how small.

Sam said:
I feel very sad and alone. Everyone else has achieved much more than me. I've never achieved anything, or done anything of any worth. I will not be remembered, or create anything of any cultural value. I will die and be forgotten.

That makes me sad. Well, not in itself. If I created nothing of any importance but led a happy life, that's sort-of a great work in itself. If I was sad, but created beautiful things like Francis Bacon or Sylvia Plath, that'd be OK too. But I'm very sad, and useless at everything. A chronic underachiever.

While you, you do so well, almost like a self-parody. Your levels of success, at winning, at achieving in almost every field make me bitter and jealous, and turn me into a horrible person. I don't want to hope for your occasional failure, the inevitable stumble, but I find that I do. And when it never comes, I just feel even more loathsome of myself.

Sam you're like 22, you have bloody bags of time left to achieve something! And you know as well as I do that it won't be especially difficult, you are probably one of the most intelligent and switched on people I know.

I have my operation coming up in four months. That's not a long time at all in the grand scheme of things. But to me, it feels like an eternity.

It's frustrating me to no end because it's controlling everything I am planning and doing. For example, there are games I want to get for my 3DS and Wii U, but my brain is only focusing on whether I can save it for when I'm recovering, rather than getting it straight away.

Even when I think of going to parks next year, all I'm thinking about is 'will I be well enough to ride anything?'. Chances are I will be, but I can't help but focus on the little things and it's driving me insane.

It's becoming even more frustrating because once the operation is done, I'm never mentioning trans stuff ever again. I'm done with it all. I'm sick of the pedantic community who look to get offended by anything and everything. I'm tired of the 'social justice' side of things taking the forefront of the transgender rights movement. I hate that my opinions on trans living aren't considered 'valid' because I have 'passing privilige' and that I'm 'heteronormative' and 'white'.

I'm even sick of talking about it. I'm tired of constantly mentioning it to people. I hate that it's defining who I am, and not just something I so happen to be. I want to just shut up about it and pretend I'm not trans and never have been. But this bloody operation is literally all I can think of.

I can barely open my mouth without mentioning it. I can't control it. I need these four months to hurry the hell up so I can live the rest of my life.

I wish I had been born as a normal female. This is no way to live.