• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The I Feel Down Topic.

Tarin Maria said:
josht said:
Quick smoking again :(

I have tried to give up smoking SO many times, in all honesty, if you're not ready to give up, it'll never work, maybe just try and cut down and slowly ween yourself off?
Ah started again since that post I've decided to quit at Christmas :)

Tarin Maria said:
josht said:
Tarin Maria said:
josht said:

I have tried to give up smoking SO many times, in all honesty, if you're not ready to give up, it'll never work, maybe just try and cut down and slowly ween yourself off?
Ah started again since that post I've decided to quit at Christmas :)
You didn't even last two hours? Omg, bless you :p

Josh is no quitter!

josht said:

Just don't do what a guy I work with did, he used allot of aids to help him stop, like e-cigs and all that Niquitin stuff, all hat happened was he became addicted to a product that cost him twice as much as a pack of cigs. And not just that, with a regular cigarette you have a time period, like you light it, smoke it to the filter and then drop it, with an e-cig there is no end period, so its tempting to just keep going, using allot more than you would normally smoke. Only quit when your ready using regular cigarettes, and just take some of your daily total, that the way most people I know that have quit successfully have done. :)

Ben. said:
josht said:

Just don't do what a guy I work with did, he used allot of aids to help him stop, like e-cigs and all that Niquitin stuff, all hat happened was he became addicted to a product that cost him twice as much as a pack of cigs. And not just that, with a regular cigarette you have a time period, like you light it, smoke it to the filter and then drop it, with an e-cig there is no end period, so its tempting to just keep going, using allot more than you would normally smoke. Only quit when your ready using regular cigarettes, and just take some of your daily total, that the way most people I know that have quit successfully have done. :)
I've only had 5 today compared to between 10 and 20 so it's easy to do if you don't count mornings

josht said:
Ben. said:
josht said:

I've only had 5 today compared to between 10 and 20 so it's easy to do if you don't count mornings

Well then that's great :) Just keep that up.

Ben. said:
alee298 said:
Oven broke... No more food besides cereal. :(

Didnt you say you had a microwave? Allot of foods that can be oven cooked can be microwave cooked.
You shouldn't have told me that. Now I am going to find out what all the other buttons are for. Besides the microwave button and the timer button. ;) Plus, can you cook raw chicken from scratch in a microwave? if yes, then thats only tonights dinner done.

alee298 said:

Do you really have to post about every little thing? You post multiple times a week about small stuff like this. Many people have given you advice but you still haven't taken it. Actually sitting down with your dad and talking about this is a lot more productive than posting it on an online forum full of strangers who have to deal with their own issues too. If you HAVE to post it somewhere, take it to Twitter like I do so people can choose not to read it.
There's feeling down, then there's just plain sympathy seeking. If you genuinely feel down about having to eat cereal then you are gonna suffer big time in the real world.

Panda said:
alee298 said:

Do you really have to post about every little thing? You post multiple times a week about small stuff like this. Many people have given you advice but you still haven't taken it. Actually sitting down with your dad and talking about this is a lot more productive than posting it on an online forum full of strangers who have to deal with their own issues too. If you HAVE to post it somewhere, take it to Twitter like I do so people can choose not to read it.
There's feeling down, then there's just plain sympathy seeking. If you genuinely feel down about having to eat cereal then you are gonna suffer big time in the real world.

Thank you, Thank you so much.

There are some people here who seem to be very inconsiderate of the problems of others. Sorry, obviously YOUR problems outweigh everybody else's.

As islander said, you don't have to read what is written here, and you certainly don't have to respond in such a negative manner. If you don't feel you can offer any sympathy just don't respond at all. Not difficult really.

Oh, and surely everybody who posts in this thread is 'sympathy seeking' in some way or another. It doesn't hurt to just be nice to them!

I understand that some here think Panda's responce may be a little cold-hearted, but I can't help but agree with her.

I think most people - myself included - use this thread to simply get our feelings off our chests. It's not necessarily for sympathy seeking (although the odd comforting comment is certainly pleasant). Rather, speaking about issues can be a great way to help deal with them.

For example, it was around this time last month that I was posting about how the wait for surgery has been driving me insane. Opening up in this thread actually helped me a great deal, and the nice comments I got in responce were merely a bonus.

However, when the same issue is mentioned repeatedly and in great frequency, not to mention the ignoring of advice and using language which is clearly seeking attention ("Plus, can you cook raw chicken from scratch in a microwave? if yes, then thats only tonights dinner done."), it can start to grate on people with issues who use this topic to help themselves deal with them - issues like health (mental and physical), finance, work, personal relationships, bereavement and so on.

I know it sounds mean saying that someone's issues "aren't important", as everyone's problems are relative to themselves anyway. But the issue here stems from Alee mentioning the same problem time and time again (often going hungry, ususally having only cereal to eat), without taking any advice given. I'll admit, there does seem to be a serious issue present (that of his welfare), and if he's constantly going hungry then he should contact social services. But other than that, and with not much information to go off there's not much we can say or do.

PS: I wouldn't reccommend microwaving raw chicken.

In the grips of the dreaded winter cold virus. I swear by the name of Lucifer that I will find who did this to me and infect their whole world.

And in regards to above, cold have been put better but someone had to say it, at the end of the day one trivial problem is acceptable (such as my cold), after all this isn't a competition on who has the biggest problems, but by repeating the same over and over and not taking advice given by members does water down what this topic somewhat. Some of the strongest people I have met use this topic, and a reason for their strength is due to the help they are given by others, by ignoring that help and continuing a 'woe-is-me' attitude can come across as offensive or insulting to those who use this as an actual tool. Also Ashlee, I was basing it on the assumption that no one would be stupid enough to put raw chicken in the microwave :D

Islander said:
Panda said:
If you HAVE to post it somewhere, take it to Twitter like I do so people can choose not to read it.
Fairly sure people can choose not to read anything here as well...

When it's plastered in topics and places of discussion, it's a little difficult not to. I come to this topic because I genuinely care for people and I want to help in any way possible, like the vast majority of other members. Instead I have to read so many kind words of help which are being blatantly ignored.

Pixie-Ro said:
There are some people here who seem very inconsiderate of the problems of others. Sorry, obviously YOUR problems outweigh everybody else's.

Actually I don't think anybody here is inconsiderate of others problems. There's a good balance of venting out and strong words of support, says it all.
I didn't mention anything about whatever problems I may have in my original post. Nobody's issues outweigh anybody elses, it's not a competition.

Pixie-Ro said:
As islander said, you don't have to read what is written here, and you certainly don't have to respond in such a negative manner. If you don't feel you can offer any sympathy just don't respond at all. Not difficult really.

I'm sure everybody can say I came across as very cold (even I'll say it) but it had to be said. It's not the first time this has been brought up. Using nice words isn't always helpful (as shown by the pages of the same issues with no clear progress.)
Actually, I've been speaking to Alee via Facebook chat giving him advice, letting him vent etc. I don't have anything against him despite me saying all this, but it gets really tedious.

Pixie-Ro said:
Oh, and surely everybody who posts in this thread is 'sympathy seeking' in some way or another. It doesn't hurt to just be nice to them!

Big difference. People come here to get things off their chest, ask for advice or kind words of support. People cater for whatever their friends feelings are. In some situations (particularly Alee's) there's only so much advice people can give for the same reoccuring problem. Sometimes nice words aren't enough. Maybe some stronger (albeit 'cold' or 'sharp') words are more likely to give people and idea of what they can do to help themselves.

Hate to drag it all off topic, but it's not only irking me but a few other members, too.

This must be one of the only places where people rip you apart for daring to suggest that we be nice to each other. Ah well, I tried.

Pixie-Ro said:
This must be one of the only places where people rip you apart for daring to suggest that we be nice to each other. Ah well, I tried.

I count three sensible responces to your post (including my own), and not one of them is 'ripping you apart'. All we've done is explain our position - one shared by many members here.

Again, this is nothing personal against Alee, but there's only so many times you can give advice only for it to be ignored.

He has my ear, I have been listening to the PMs he has sent. That was and still is the way to deal with it.

This week has been a week full of problems (Coughing until my throat was bleeding etc) but I dealt with that privately, as this topic I see as a more serious problem topic.

And on that note, my 'door' is always open for rants/raves/crying etc....