• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The I Feel Down Topic.

I work in a small office and I open all the mail (addressed to anyone in the company). So today I was opening a parcel addressed to my boss (incidentally the same age as me) and it was full of condoms.

I quickly sealed it up again and gave him the parcel saying I'd opened something personal, and sorry. He laughed and said 'Oh I was waiting for that to happen' (no apology).

If I had done that, I would've made sure to either A) intercept the parcel, B) Written 'PERSONAL' on it or C) Had it delivered to my HOUSE and not my OFFICE.

He seems to think it's really funny and I can't help but feel it's wholly inappropriate. He has called me out several times for saying unprofessional things in work (usually making sexual innuendo) so for my boss to publicly humiliate me in front of my (entirely male) co-workers seems just a tad hypocritical! They've been taking the mick out of me all morning because it quite visibly embarrassed and upset me.

Can't help but feel that in any other office this would be quite a damnable thing to do. But HE is my boss and there is no one higher in the company than him, so what can I do?!

Laura said:
I work in a small office and I open all the mail (addressed to anyone in the company). So today I was opening a parcel addressed to my boss (incidentally the same age as me) and it was full of condoms.

I quickly sealed it up again and gave him the parcel saying I'd opened something personal, and sorry. He laughed and said 'Oh I was waiting for that to happen' (no apology).

If I had done that, I would've made sure to either A) intercept the parcel, B) Written 'PERSONAL' on it or C) Had it delivered to my HOUSE and not my OFFICE.

He seems to think it's really funny and I can't help but feel it's wholly inappropriate. He has called me out several times for saying unprofessional things in work (usually making sexual innuendo) so for my boss to publicly humiliate me in front of my (entirely male) co-workers seems just a tad hypocritical! They've been taking the mick out of me all morning because it quite visibly embarrassed and upset me.

Can't help but feel that in any other office this would be quite a damnable thing to do. But HE is my boss and there is no one higher in the company than him, so what can I do?!

Unfortunately there doesn't look like there is much that can be done. The problem is that he will see it as if he hasn't done anything wrong, and to be honest its not the worst ting that could be done. Your best writing down the date, time and location of such incidents, then if they persist ask to have a meeting with him, present your book and explain your position. He cannot sack you over such a thing, and will change his ways because if this persists it is bullying in the workplace, you have rights, exercise them.

Laura said:

To be honest this sounds exactly like the sort of thing that I would do and I work in an office which houses around 400 people. I spend a lot of time at work and using the place as a personal post office is completely normal. Granted our post isn't opened for us, however if it was I would have no problem ordering my monthly box of 10,000 XXXL condoms to work and having a bit of a laugh when someone else opened it. I certainly wouldn’t expect anyone to get genuinely offended by it.

So yea, If he was malicious or inappropriate then that’s not right, but if it was just a bit of a giggle and some blasé attitude then I kind of understand. Personally I wouldn't want to work in an office that didn't gaurantee a regular dose of inappropriate banter. :*

It's not so much that, it's that when *I* make banter (usually spurred on by the guys), *I* get called out by the boss for it and told I'm being unprofessional. I would laugh if I wasn't being totally bitter about the fact that I can't pull stunts like that and get away with it!

My car has caught fire whilst I was driving, first time I've ever had to ring 999

are you and everyone that was with you ok. It is good to know that the emergency services are just a phone call away.

I take it the car is now beyond repair.

I'm really sorry to hear this :( you know where I am if you want to talk/rant/vent x

Edit: I came at this a weird way and it was meant to be a reply to the man! I don't know how to quote him retrospectively!

#getcorrected!

In a completely separate reply...I am struggling with anxiety quite a lot. I was diagnosed ages ago with generalised anxiety disorder, went through CBT for ages which just made me worse, and was recently put on medication. I really want to be involved with this forum, especially as I've just finished my Masters and finally have free time to do so...but I'm a bit scared! So that's why I'm a bit down x

Amy_D said:
In a completely separate reply...I am struggling with anxiety quite a lot. I was diagnosed ages ago with generalised anxiety disorder, went through CBT for ages which just made me worse, and was recently put on medication. I really want to be involved with this forum, especially as I've just finished my Masters and finally have free time to do so...but I'm a bit scared! So that's why I'm a bit down x

That's the same as me (GAD) so you're not alone. But this place is great fun, it can be good to just take some time out when you feel anxious and browse around the madness of this place (hehe). Also, this topic is great for firing off quick posts about how you're feeling when it gets bad, it helps.

I too have an anxiety disorder, which can be really debilitating at times :(

People on this forum are lovely though, so it does help to get involved in the community :)

In regards to joining in with the forum, start small and then get more involved. Not everyone can just appear and go into everything at once! But everyone on here is a lovely person :)

'I saw a saviour, a saviour come my way. I thought I'd see him in the cold light of day. But now I realise that I'm only for me.'

The one tiny glimmer of hope in my life over the last few months has revealed itself to be an emotional clusterbomb. I have nothing. Every day is an ordeal, to be endured, and loathed.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

So ive disappeared for a while but im back.... yay
So anyone who knows me thinks I just went because of the whole me and ben thing
Which is only half true
See, I've been going through some stuff and the thing is.... I'm a lesbian.
And my mum is homophobic
So that's a fabulous combination
I know I'm not the only one here who's had to go through this so any help would be soooo great.
Much love.

Have you come out to your mum yet? I have a few friends whose parents seemed homophobic, yet when they found out their child was gay, bi or lesbian they saw it in a whole new light.