• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The I Feel Happy Topic!

I have received my end-of-year results for French. In both the reading+listening exam and the writing exam, I got a Grade 9. It surprised me a bit, because I was expecting lower.
Well done @zeock; it’s always great to get a result that’s a positive surprise!

Went to Liverpool Pride yesterday, and had a brilliant time. Was really well-attended, with a great atmosphere, and a huge age range of people. The highlight for me, though, was this adorable little dachshund in the parade. 🥰

117669109f2003186224961d02916f29.jpg

Also ended up at my church with Mike this morning (I was operating the tech side of things), and it felt strange that this was the first time we'd been to church together in all the time we've known each other. Was good to introduce him to a few people, especially those who've known about us for a while. Even had my minister drive from the church where she was taking a service this morning just to see us, and it couldn't have gone any better. :) Ended up introducing him to my younger brother, and it turns out they've got a mutual friend through church stuff, which kinda blew my mind slightly! :p

Last edited:
Double-post, but I'm not even sorry.

Today, I came out to my parents.

I'm still alive and haven't been kicked out, which is a good start. :p

Being serious for a sec, I'd gone away with Mike over the weekend as mentioned yesterday, and after dinner today, Dad asked about the nature of our friendship & whether or not it was anything more. I told them the truth, which is what I've consistently said I'd do if they ever asked me that question. They didn't seem overly surprised, and said they'd wondered for quite a while. I then said I wondered if they'd wondered for a while, but I felt we probably treated it a bit like the elephant in the room. :p All things considered, it did actually go quite well. I don't know what the next few days and weeks will bring, but we'll have to wait and see. I don't quite know how to feel right now, either - it's a mixture of worry as mentioned, and also relief that they finally know. They haven't pressed things with me today, which is good. I know more questions will be coming, and I'll have to prepare myself for them, but I'm confident that I'll be OK in the end.

Being serious for a sec, I'd gone away with Mike over the weekend as mentioned yesterday, and after dinner today, Dad asked about the nature of our friendship & whether or not it was anything more. I told them the truth, which is what I've consistently said I'd do if they ever asked me that question. They didn't seem overly surprised, and said they'd wondered for quite a while. I then said I wondered if they'd wondered for a while, but I felt we probably treated it a bit like the elephant in the room. :p All things considered, it did actually go quite well. I don't know what the next few days and weeks will bring, but we'll have to wait and see. I don't quite know how to feel right now, either - it's a mixture of worry as mentioned, and also relief that they finally know. They haven't pressed things with me today, which is good. I know more questions will be coming, and I'll have to prepare myself for them, but I'm confident that I'll be OK in the end.
This has been a long time coming! Congratulations!

Congratulations @Jonathan; I can imagine that this was a big day for you, and I’m glad to hear that it went well!

Congrats Jonathan!

Well done mate, heartwarming to hear from sometime ago when you having this issue from sometime ago is that now it seems to have a happy resolution.

But yeah, let's see what happens next, I can't comment what it must be like to come out but certainly must be nerve-wracking.

Double post I'll admiy but today I'm happy to say that I helped with a locomotive's steam test which went successfully well and now we await the visit of the inspector to give us the all clear to operate her.
20230805_132335.jpg
This is my locomotive I'm closely associated with that I did much of the painting minus the lining and lettering...this is No.10 'Forth'. You might see her next year when the Levenmouth railway opens in which she'll likely be part of the celebrations and hopefully some of you will visit Fife, would make me feel I've done something special for others to enjoy.

Double post I'll admiy but today I'm happy to say that I helped with a locomotive's steam test which went successfully well and now we await the visit of the inspector to give us the all clear to operate her.
I'll have to have a look if I'm in the Kingdom anytime next year.

My happy thing is after a couple of bad weeks, I finally feel human and awake enough again to do something on a weekend without it wiping me out. It may only be a trip report but I've been so wiped recently I couldn't even do that. It's nice to be back.

Last edited:
Actually used the words 'I'm gay' in conversation with Mum yesterday. Got a little emotional afterwards. For a bit of context, I was saying to Mum that I thought it'd be good for the three of us to have a chat about everything, but I'm not putting any time pressure on them - after all, they've only had a week. :p She appreciated what I said, which is good. Took a little while for me to actually say the two words in that conversation, but it felt good to have finally said them. It's weird how something so small can have such a big impact. I do want to come up with some ground rules when we have this conversation, but I'll be reasonable with them. Won't be afraid to put my foot down if need be, though - it's important that I specify clear boundaries.

So, do you find yourself sitting back and smiling then?
Remember quite a few smiles after the "dropping of the hidden curtain" in the family, more than once.

Old Morecambe and Wise joke...

Nice out isn't it?

Yes...I think I'll get mine out as well.

So, do you find yourself sitting back and smiling then?
Remember quite a few smiles after the "dropping of the hidden curtain" in the family, more than once.

Old Morecambe and Wise joke...

Nice out isn't it?

Yes...I think I'll get mine out as well.
Yeah, I think I do. Was on my way to Sainsbury's, so I just asked Mum if there was anything she needed out of courtesy, and then mentioned this to her as well. Was sat in the car before heading off, and then realised just how big a step I'd taken.

I'm feeling better mentally after a rough week - having the house to myself while my parents are away is helping a bit, and I've also had time to process things a bit better. Still not entirely sure how to proceed from here, but it's going to take time.

Been distracting myself from reality a bit by trying to get my next tattoo sorted, as well as thinking about which new ear piercings I may want to get. I'm not gonna go over the top, for the record, but I think I can get a few more and still maintain a look that people would deem to be professional.