• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The I Feel Happy Topic!

Came over my house on the way to Blackpool airshow last weekend.
Couldn't see a thing because of the low cloud, but you could hear and feel it!
Ground and windows shook nicely.

I passed my driving theory test first time in Gloucester today, getting 49/50 on the multiple choice section and 56/75 on the hazard perception section!

On the minus side, I seemingly can’t book a practical test until at least February 2024, as there are none available in Monmouth (my driving instructor’s test centre of choice) within the 24-week booking window, but even still, I’m glad to have one component of the driving examinations done and dusted!

Well done, Matt! :)

I guess one reason why waiting lists are so long for the practical test could be related to the backlog from COVID, and there's not really a lot you can do about that. Worth checking for cancellations every now and then, though - you might get lucky!

I passed my driving theory test first time in Gloucester today, getting 49/50 on the multiple choice section and 56/75 on the hazard perception section!

On the minus side, I seemingly can’t book a practical test until at least February 2024, as there are none available in Monmouth (my driving instructor’s test centre of choice) within the 24-week booking window, but even still, I’m glad to have one component of the driving examinations done and dusted!
Well done @Matt N - always good to get that part done and out of the way!

If it were me I'd be considering looking at availability at other centres, as that's a really long wait for a practical test. On the other hand, if you keep your lessons up you'll have had so much extra practice by the time your test comes around that you'll have a better chance of passing first time.

Well done, Matt! :)

I guess one reason why waiting lists are so long for the practical test could be related to the backlog from COVID, and there's not really a lot you can do about that. Worth checking for cancellations every now and then, though - you might get lucky!
It’s the double whammy of COVID and driving examiner strikes, apparently. I don’t remember my sister having such a long wait for a practical test when she did hers in 2019/2020.
If it were me I'd be considering looking at availability at other centres, as that's a really long wait for a practical test. On the other hand, if you keep your lessons up you'll have had so much extra practice by the time your test comes around that you'll have a better chance of passing first time.
I’m not sure how keen my instructor would be for me to go to another centre, as all of our learning of test routes and such has been in Monmouth. The only centres within any kind of immediate vicinity where there were tests available were Hereford and Brecon, both of which are some distance away. There were none in Gloucester, Bristol, Newport, Abergavenny or anywhere vaguely close.

Apparently another week’s worth of new tests are released every Monday morning, so I’ll have to try and pounce on the booking system next Monday morning!

My instructor thinks I’m at least a few months off test standard anyway, so the fact that I can’t get a test for nearly 6 months is probably a blessing in disguise!

It’s the double whammy of COVID and driving examiner strikes, apparently. I don’t remember my sister having such a long wait for a practical test when she did hers in 2019/2020.

I’m not sure how keen my instructor would be for me to go to another centre, as all of our learning of test routes and such has been in Monmouth. The only centres within any kind of immediate vicinity where there were tests available were Hereford and Brecon, both of which are some distance away. There were none in Gloucester, Bristol, Newport, Abergavenny or anywhere vaguely close.

Apparently another week’s worth of new tests are released every Monday morning, so I’ll have to try and pounce on the booking system next Monday morning!

My instructor thinks I’m at least a few months off test standard anyway, so the fact that I can’t get a test for nearly 6 months is probably a blessing in disguise!
I thought Abergavenny was quite a way from you...then I realised I was thinking of Aberystwyth. :p

I thought Abergavenny was quite a way from you...then I realised I was thinking of Aberystwyth. :p
That’s an easy mistake to make; there are far too many Abers in Wales! There’s Abergavenny and Aberystwyth for a start, and that’s before you even consider the likes of Aberdare, Aberavon, Abertillery, Aberfan and such…

Well done!

Congratulations mate, going through the theory was a pain in the ass for me I remember.

I’ve been on some medication for the past seven months (Sertraline, if you want to know), and after an appointment with my GP practice on Thursday, I started reducing the dosage yesterday as part of a plan to come off it completely. It’s made a great improvement in my mental health since I started taking it, and I think I’m at a point where I could feasibly cope without it. We’ll see how I go over the next few weeks.

I’ve been on some medication for the past seven months (Sertraline, if you want to know), and after an appointment with my GP practice on Thursday, I started reducing the dosage yesterday as part of a plan to come off it completely. It’s made a great improvement in my mental health since I started taking it, and I think I’m at a point where I could feasibly cope without it. We’ll see how I go over the next few weeks.
All the best people have used then successfully come off sertraline 😉 Just take it steady and replace tablets with other mental well-being activities like exercise and healthy diet.

Made a tattoo enquiry today. Hopefully, I'll be able to get it sorted and done by the end of the year. Got plans for other tattoos as well, and I'm definitely not going to leave it nearly eight years between tattoos again. :p

Well then, nothing really to say but today at our railway some of us were getting footplate training to work our steam engine in which I had not only the honour of lighting up Forth and firing her...but I was allowed to drive her up our line albeit light engine. The content look on my face says it all that I can finally say I've driven a steam locomotive that I've always wanted to do since I was a wee lad.
20230923_144803.jpg
So yes, Forth is a sprightly wee engine and my duty to serve her on which this time next year when the Levenmouth railway next door to us opens, I'll hopefully be ready to greet many travelers from far and wide to welcome you to our humble wee railway site and to show you my wee engine.

My football team, Barcelona, made a comeback in a match today (3-2) It's saturday and I'm enjoying some alcohol with my gf. I'm as of now checking videos about Alton Towers. Excited to visit it for the first time in early November :blush: