• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The New Layout Geek League 2017-18

Sammy

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Untamed - Walibi Holland
Leaderboard

@Rob: 15 points
@Sammy: 14 points
@Brad97: 11 points
@Rick: 10 points
@Matt N: 6 points
@Tim: 5 points
@Martin: 3 points
@evilcod: 3 points
@TPC: 2 points
@Marcus: 0 points
@Bear: -1 points
@DiogoJ42: -2 points
@RussellH: -4 points

That's right peeps, it's back!! The geekiest fixture of the closed season is here, the Layout Geek League, but not quite as you know it.

First and foremost, it is with deep sadness and regret that I have to inform you that, due to old age @DiogoJ42 has had to give up his tinfoil hat and step down as our all knowing, all seeing layout overlord. So a moments silence of appreciation and thanks for the many years of squiggly black line based fun he has brought to us, through the creation and first years of the league!

Anyway, moving swiftly on, I am pleased to inform you that the game is not dead and I shall be taking over proceedings from here on in! *Applause* Now don't worry, the main principle of the game shall remain very much the same, but there will be a few changes to try and shake things up a bit!

So lets get started, on with the new rules!!

Rules:

* UK COASTERS ARE ALLOWED!! -
This is probably the most significant change to the game. UK coasters have never previously been allowed, however in a bid to open the game up to more people who may not be quite as well traveled or sad enough to know a straight line coaster in east Taiwan, they may now be used!

* Unique layouts only -
No clones or "off the shelf" models. Rides that have been demolished or are SBNO are allowed, as are rides under construction (provided accurate plans are available), though unbuilt concepts still remain a no-no.

* No drawing from memory -
Drawings should be traced from aerial photos or actual blueprints. They don't have to be perfect, but the proportions should be as accurate as reasonably possible with MS Paint. (Other, better graphics software is available for free). A scribble of what you think a ride does is not good enough.

* Please avoid drawing freehand -
Use the line tools to avoid that "scribble" look.

* Do not mark the station -
Just a plain black line showing a plan view of the track, no marking of lifthills, launches or brakes!

* Optional extras -
For added difficulty, you may rotate your layout (so up is not necessarily north). This is not compulsory, but it will help make it harder to guess if you think it might be an easy one. If you do rotate it, do not tell people about it. However importantly DO NOT flip, or mirror the image.

* Disqualified entries -
If an entry is disqualified for any reason (such as not being unique), then the player in the lead gets to post a new entry.

Scoring

This is the next major change to the game, this years scoring will be slightly different in an effort to prevent any run away leads as in previous years!

* Every correct guess with no clues shall now only earn you 3 Points.
(Correct guesses before clues previously earned 5 Points)

* Due to the lower score of 3 points per correct guess, fewer clues will be able to be given. Thus clues will now be set with more standard time scales. A first clue must now be given after three days of no correct guesses, a second clue must then be given following two further days of incorrect guesses. (This will also enable the game to keep moving on with fewer lull/stop periods.)

* If you guess correctly after clues have been given, you score one less point for each clue. (One clue = 2 points, Two clues = 1 points)

* If two more days pass following the second clue and still no one is able to guess the coaster, then the player who posted the layout has won. In previous years this has never happens, however fewer clues and a standard timescale for them, now means this situation is more likely to occur! Should this actually happen, the layout poster will score 5 points. Not only this, but they will also post the next layout, thus earning the chance to earn even more points!

Winning

The contest will close at midnight, the day before the first day of the Alton Towers' 2018 season (16th of March). The member with the most points on that date wins.

On thing that is clear from last years league is that certain members are better/sadder/have more time on their hands than others. Partly due to this I feel participator numbers fell in terms of points earned, so as one final measure/cruel plot twist to give new players a further a better chance some players shall be starting on minus points! To do this I shall be reversing last years leader board of the 7 contestants who scored points and placing each one point behind the last, just to give others a better chance to start with! (It probably wont last long ;))

Thus below is this years starting leader board! (An updated leader board will be added to the start of this post once the first points are earned!)

@Marcus: 0 points
@Bear: -1 points
@DiogoJ42: -2 points
@Rick: -3 Points
@RussellH: -4 points
@Sammy: -5 points
@Rob: -6 points

For those still confused as to whats going on, you can find the previous years leagues below -

2016/17 2015/16 2013/14

Anyway, now that's all out of the way. Without further ado, I present to you, this years first layout!

9f7bdc76ec064ecdfb226b5321ee6735.jpg

TowersStreet, START GUESSING!!

Last edited:
Bah, UK coasters allowed? Why don't you just give points away on the the back of confectionary packets‽

Glad to see you've picked up the torch I casually tossed aside matey. Interesting idea to have a handicap system, but you missed one out... @John should be on there, starting at -37.

As for the first layout, I have a pretty good idea what it is, but I think it would be a bit of a pishtake for me to not bother running the game, only to jump right in there and claim the first points when you start your own. So I'll let someone else get this one... And then promptly be clueless for the rest of the game! :p

Good luck all.

PS: @Kelpie says she's happy to keep providing winner banners if you want to keep the branding consistent.

Looks like I’ve already got some catching up to do!

Steeplechase at BPB?

:)

I’m not back at home til Saturday but I’ll get one up then!

Been a while since I've drawn one of these, but here we go:

24131434_10159712504505343_1717593432489228897_n.jpg

This is a really wild guess, but... is it iSpeed at Mirabilandia?
EDIT: Um, er, I don't actually have Paint to draw a layout on if I win.
EDIT AGAIN: Dammit, iSpeed is a clone, so would it be... Skycar at Mysterious Island?

Last edited:
EDIT: Um, er, I don't actually have Paint to draw a layout on if I win.

So you don't have any access at all to a windows PC? Do you live in Scarfolk or something?

Whatever OS you use, there are better free drawing programs available than MS Paint. You only need to be able to draw a series of short connected straight lines! (Though it makes things easier if you can use layers to trace over a screenshot).

Jesus Diogo...where do you find them...I'm meant to be going on holiday from all things digital, and you send me to a whole new digital world...very much like the one I live in. Scarfolk...10/10.

So you don't have any access at all to a windows PC? Do you live in Scarfolk or something?

Whatever OS you use, there are better free drawing programs available than MS Paint. You only need to be able to draw a series of short connected straight lines! (Though it makes things easier if you can use layers to trace over a screenshot).
Oh.. I do have a Windows PC. A Windows 10 PC, in fact. I just thought you had to pay for graphic software like that.

Mother of Wardley, all hope is lost for the younger generation.

I was going to reccomend GIMP, but it may be a bit to advanced for someone who doesn't know how the start menu works...
But I do know how the start menu works! I just never saw Paint on there!