• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Retrosquad: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Blade do[es]n't work in FV, Enterprise didn't fit with Smiler, Oblivion doesn't fit a theme either
I disagree with these 3, they absolutely fit or fitted in my opinion. Blade blends in perfectly and so did Ripsaw, especially with it's original theming elements.

The only permanent attraction which was a little out of place in X-Sector was Black Hole, and even then it was a great match externally. I'm baffled by your reckoning that Oblivion doesn't fit the theme... Oblivion *is* the theme.

I disagree with these 3, they absolutely fit or fitted in my opinion. Blade blends in perfectly and so did Ripsaw, especially with it's original theming elements.

The only permanent attraction which was a little out of place in X-Sector was Black Hole, and even then it was a great match externally. I'm baffled by your reckoning that Oblivion doesn't fit the theme... Oblivion *is* the theme.
Oblivion doesn't have any theme, what backstory it did have was taken away and all the queue line is old and battered.

A first time visitor wouldn't know what it was other than a ride that drops into a hole.

Ripsaw was perfect for FV and shouldn't have been removed/not replaced.

A first time visitor wouldn't know what it was other than a ride that drops into a hole.
I think they'd get that it's supposed to be a dystopian experiment, like The Smiler.

Oblivion doesn't have any theme, what backstory it did have was taken away and all the queue line is old and battered.
I agree that poor maintenance breaks immersion but that's a different question to whether something fundamentally fits or not.

I think they'd get that it's supposed to be a dystopian experiment, like The Smiler.

I agree that poor maintenance breaks immersion but that's a different question to whether something fundamentally fits or not.
I think they could do a little more for Oblivion to fit into the ministry of Joy's experimentation, especially with regards to the queue line video.

I appreciate that Oblivion's theming was slightly tweaked on opening The Smiler, but they should have done a more cohesive job of combining the two compared to just one sign.

Attachments

• DSC01566-scaled.jpg
    DSC01566-scaled.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I think they could do a little more for Oblivion to fit into the ministry of Joy's experimentation, especially with regards to the queue line video.

I appreciate that Oblivion's theming could have benefited from being tweaked on opening The Smiler, but they should have done a more cohesive job of combining the two compared to just one sign.

99% of people dont care nor notice what either of them are meant to be, if I were to bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Absolutely maddening that all this effort is being put into Duel, Nemesis etc but yet we’re seemingly approaching a 3rd year of fairground rides.

I’d be alright with it if they were gradually replacing them with better rides but that doesn’t seem to be the case (at best they’ll break even again by closing Enterprise and opening Sub Terra).

I'd like to hope that we'll see some form of permanent flat ride addition in the coming years, but realistically it looks like it'll be 2026 before we see anything of the sort.

Absolutely maddening that all this effort is being put into Duel, Nemesis etc but yet we’re seemingly approaching a 3rd year of fairground rides.

I’d be alright with it if they were gradually replacing them with better rides but that doesn’t seem to be the case (at best they’ll break even again by closing Enterprise and opening Sub Terra).
I read somewhere that someone said the Retro Squad deal with the Mellors was 3 years so 2023 being the last. How true that is I don't know. But looking back, the Retro Squad was introduced as Covid restrictions were being lifted; no-one was 100% sure which way that was going to go (thankfully it's gone the right way) so you could argue that the 3yr deal was just to get them through the recovery period of Covid as visitor numbers slowly increased back to pre-pandemic levels. In the grand scheme of things (for Towers anyway), it's a relatively cheap cost to help with the increasing numbers.

If it is a 3yr deal, then 2024 will be interesting.

I suspect Towers will want to honor the 3 year deal with 2023 being, hopefully, the last we'll see of the RS.

I have a hunch we might see at least one permanent flat ride for 2024 to coincide with Nemesis' reopening...return of Ripsaw anyone? Or God forbid even Enterprise somehow coming back.

I suspect Towers will want to honor the 3 year deal with 2023 being, hopefully, the last we'll see of the RS.

I have a hunch we might see at least one permanent flat ride for 2024 to coincide with Nemesis' reopening...return of Ripsaw anyone? Or God forbid even Enterprise somehow coming back.

With HH rethemed and the suspected return of NST in 23, Nemmy rebirth in 24 and Project Horizon in 25 I think a major flat ride coming to the park on top of all this is highly unlikely sadly.

Really hope they address it for 2026/27 though. A mini gyro swing would be my choice. Not unique or very original I realise but they are great rides.

A permanent well themed Breakdance would also be cool for many I'm sure. Not really my type of flat ride though tbf but they look cool off ride.

No no no no no no

Don’t know the specifics around the deal but one year was understandable

Two years is pushing it

Three years and beyond is now a joke

It’s like putting a plaster on a missing limb, deal with the actual problem

I’d be interested in the finances too - surely by this point they could’ve bought a perm flat for the amount that has been spent on leasing, staffing and maintenance?

No no no no no no

Don’t know the specifics around the deal but one year was understandable

Two years is pushing it

Three years and beyond is now a joke

It’s like putting a plaster on a missing limb, deal with the actual problem

I’d be interested in the finances too - surely by this point they could’ve bought a perm flat for the amount that has been spent on leasing, staffing and maintenance?
This goes back to my post above - a 3yr deal made sure they got through the Covid recovery and beyond - regardless of which way that could've gone. And Towers wouldn't have lost much if more lockdowns had've occured and visitor number not risen to pre-pandemic levels.

Yes, some of the money spent could've been put to a new permanent flat, but when this decision was made back in 2020, with all the uncertainty at the time they'd have been mad to have commited to 1 flat when they could have 3 for less money. Makes more sense to have done what they've done; achieved the same thing for less money albeit temporary.

Of course, this is all my thoughts - I've got no insider information on this. But in my mind, like Retro Squad or not on the whole they've been popular and when running have generally helped with crowd levels.

Towers are well aware they have a shortage of flats - Retro Squad has proved this - and I'd be surprised if there are not plans in place improve the situation long term. We've just got to be a little more patient!

Yes I posted picture earlier in this thread from someone claiming they worked on the fairgrounds and that 2 of the RS will be replaced. We obviously don’t know if that’s true. No temporary ride is ideal, but to play devils advocate, the one that performed the most satisfactory, reliability wise at least was Spinjam, so I’d imagine that might be the one they wanted to keep of the three. Roller Disco had much more downtime than it did in 2021 and the less said about Funk’n’Fly the better.

Some of us see the whole park as a collection of fairground rides...

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.