• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Retrosquad: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I didn't actually find it as bad as i thought i would...it still knocked me for 6 but i would probably go on it again tbh

One thing though i got a very strange pain down my right leg that got worse as the ride went on....i crossed my legs and it sort of made it better...but when the ride stopped i had a pain/tight calf that i could feel while i was walking for 15 minutes or so

Anybody else feel anything like this?

I didn't actually find it as bad as i thought i would...it still knocked me for 6 but i would probably go on it again tbh

One thing though i got a very strange pain down my right leg that got worse as the ride went on....i crossed my legs and it sort of made it better...but when the ride stopped i had a pain/tight calf that i could feel while i was walking for 15 minutes or so

Anybody else feel anything like this?
I had the same today after my second ride (the ride op had it on a extended cycle and it was crazy intense) ... my right leg went numb while I was on the ride and I had to wiggle my foot to get some feeling back & i got off the ride with a feeling of cramped muscle in my right calf. It's still flipping sore now! Apart from that, Spinjam is great fun!

Really enjoyed Spinjam for the intensity and speed, but definitely painful on the legs and feet. I saw a few people stagger off, I was discombobulated, and I heard people getting off talking about the discomfort.
Scaled up and better built there is a good ride there, but I think the theme park version might be toned down a little.
Definite marmalising potential.

Wow, I’ve never seen so many people talk about a flat ride being that intense before; repeated reports of people staggering off it are… well, staggering I guess!

Given I staggered off a particularly spinny ride on Ice Mountain at Hyde Park Winter Wonderland (I literally couldn’t walk in a straight line and nearly fell down the exit stairs…) and nearly threw up after Air Race at Drayton Manor (which isn’t exactly known for its intensity in flat ride circles), Spinjam might not be one for me…

I’ll admit, though, that there’s a slight sadistic part of me that kind of wants to try it, just to see what it’s like…

There's absolutely no harm in trying it at least once, Matt, just to see what it's like. I did the Tivoli Extreme at GYPB back in 2020, and I thought it was pretty good, if a little on the intense side. I'd happily do one of them again.

I'm wondering if a lot of people who wouldn't usually pay for such an intense ride at a funfair are riding Spinjam because it's included in park admission? Would explain why so many people are staggering off of it, because they're not used to the forces.

The issue with extremes is they don’t actually look that extreme off-ride (most people associate going upside down with “extreme”) so I think you get a fair few people trying it out that would probably avoid rides like enterprise.

I'm wondering if a lot of people who wouldn't usually pay for such an intense ride at a funfair are riding Spinjam because it's included in park admission? Would explain why so many people are staggering off of it, because they're not used to the forces.
This is a good point actually. There is no way I would pay to go on it at a fair, however I may well go on it at somepoint this season just to try it out, even though I know that I probably won't like it.

The issue with extremes is they don’t actually look that extreme off-ride (most people associate going upside down with “extreme”) so I think you get a fair few people trying it out that would probably avoid rides like enterprise.
So do you think the public class that smiler as the most extreme ride at towers then? I'm not sure myself which coaster I'd say is the most extreme

I've ridden Spinjam as Air Raid at Hull Fair a few years ago, it's definitely an intense ride. Not for everyone and I imagine it will surprise a lot of people.

And for me this is the whole point of a theme park and as John Wardley pointed out himself in one of his videos many years ago that you can have the biggest, the fastest etc but its no good if it doesn't make people want to ride it again. I think this is what makes Nemesis so unique - its intense, its fast, heck it can even make you grey out in the back row on a wet day..... but you just get off and want to do it again! If Spinjam is making people feel sick, or pain in their legs, I cant see it being very re-ridable although good on towers for trying to improve queue times.

Apologies if this is off-topic, but can anyone describe to me what a greyout feels like? I don't think I've ever experienced one, and certainly never on a ride.

I've blacked out many (many!) times [most recently in a busy pub - long story!], but I'd describe the precursor to that as tunnel vision (usually accompanied by hearing loss). Weird how people experience things differently isn't it?

The only good thing that can come out of all this is if they convince the park and Merlin to invest into some permanent flat rides sooner rather than later.

For me the sooner these retrosquad rides are removed the better. They have obviously helped with capacity but they have also cheapened the park too at the same time which I'm not a fan of.

Crazy to think that the nation's Premier Theme Park is probably the one with the weakest line up of flat rides now. It's simply not good enough.

Apologies if this is off-topic, but can anyone describe to me what a greyout feels like? I don't think I've ever experienced one, and certainly never on a ride.

I've blacked out many (many!) times [most recently in a busy pub - long story!], but I'd describe the precursor to that as tunnel vision (usually accompanied by hearing loss). Weird how people experience things differently isn't it?
I've greyed out a couple of times on rides, most memorably when I rode Intimidator 305 on an extremely hot day. My vision went black and white (and perhaps a little blurry) for a second or two.

I’d describe grey out as what you describe as the pre-cursor to black out. I’ve had it on a few rides, and it’s usually a brief moment where your vision is obscured by a black and white screen of sorts, and on the particularly intense rides (a distinctly lower proportion of rides where grey out occurs for me), it might be accompanied by hearing loss/ringing in your ears and/or a mild feeling of dizziness. It never lasts more than a few seconds and I never lose consciousness or anything.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.