• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Retrosquad: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I know Merlin aren’t immune to making own goals, but generally that is due to unintended errors.

Regarding the Retrosquad, the fact the park are advertising their removal, along with statements like ‘what do you want to see replace them?’ coming from Merlin it really points towards there being something in their place next year.

Otherwise why bother doing any of this? Why bother advertising their removal? They’d just keep quiet and focus the attention on the return of Nemesis.

From: https://x.com/merlinapuk/status/1718996490646081556?s=46&t=zG_i8R9vX93ZZU0RljfzWA

This post has now been edited…they have removed the final part

We'll get 1 themed flat tops. I called it when they were introduced almost 3 years ago and I stick by that. We'll get 1 + 3 or 4 loads of nothing.

Or just nothing full stop.

You're looking at many £millions to replace with proper replacements and there's no chance of that happening. I would have been happy with each addition going 1 by 1 when replaced by permanents. But then they opened the second season without one. Then the third season came and they were still there, only another permanent had closed without replacement.

Years of chronic underinvestment has come back to bite, and now the temporary solution has both outstayed it's welcome and become financially unviable.

It’s worth noting that Thorpe will be having a land refresh alongside Hyperion next year, so budgets may not be as stretched as we think. At the least I expect a new ride on the Ripsaw site to go alongside the new retail location here

It’s worth noting that Thorpe will be having a land refresh alongside Hyperion next year, so budgets may not be as stretched as we think. At the least I expect a new ride on the Ripsaw site to go alongside the new retail location here
I know they're both Merlin parks but do they not have their own budgets? That's how I thought it worked. I thought if Thorpe spent more it wouldn't effect Towers. Suppose Towers might have already reached their budget with project horizon and Nemesis

I know they're both Merlin parks but do they not have their own budgets? That's how I thought it worked. I thought if Thorpe spent more it wouldn't effect Towers. Suppose Towers might have already reached their budget with project horizon and Nemesis
My point being that Merlin have allocated Thorpe enough for a major new coaster and an area refresh, so they may also have increased budgets for Towers. A lot of construction for Nemesis happened early this year so it isn’t inconceivable that they are spreading the cost over 2 financial years, again leaving more available for a flat or two

My point being that Merlin have allocated Thorpe enough for a major new coaster and an area refresh, so they may also have increased budgets for Towers. A lot of construction for Nemesis happened early this year so it isn’t inconceivable that they are spreading the cost over 2 financial years, again leaving more available for a flat or two
Is it an area refresh at Thorpe though, or just the removal of branding? I have a sneaking suspicion it will be more of the latter - it makes sense because Angry Birds is of the past, and if the IP licence was up for renewal, a few new signs and a bit of paint could be a cost saving.

Is it an area refresh at Thorpe though, or just the removal of branding? I have a sneaking suspicion it will be more of the latter - it makes sense because Angry Birds is of the past, and if the IP licence was up for renewal, a few new signs and a bit of paint could be a cost saving.
Their social media has alluded to a lot more to come besides the announced projects, so it could be that Merlin are really loosening the purse strings going forward

Angry Birds removal will be a bit more than just sign removal and paint. The dodgem cars will need new shells as they are themed and several other bits like that.

I'm all for Ripsaw 2.0 but I have to say I was never a fan of Enterprise. Much rather they replace it with something else.

Bring Ripsaw back yes but Enterprise no no no. Spinjam and twistatron were better than Enterprise imo at least they do a bit more.
Was only an example. I mean if they do put an Enterprise there they can at least say to planning one has been here before I guess.
Enterprise was alright, I'm not a fan of being spun round like I'm in a washing machine anymore so that was about as much spinning as I wanted. Probably an age thing, less tolerant to it.

Bring Ripsaw back yes but Enterprise no no no. Spinjam and twistatron were better than Enterprise imo at least they do a bit more.

Enterprise fulfilled a good role at the park as it was a nice step up for youngsters from the CBeebies rides to something a bit more thrilling (but not too intense). It’s actually probably counts as a first inversion for a lot of people (if indeed it does actually count as an inversion?).

Twistatron is one of the worst flat rides I’ve ever done and seen. It is in no way better than Enterprise. It has zero force, zero speed and zero comfort.
Since when are fair rides designed to be comfortable. They're supposed to be weird wacky and out of control

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.