• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Retrosquad: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
On a retro squad theme, funk and fly has been down for the last couple of days along with obvlivion. Is it in its final death throes and ready for giving up too?

I won’t lie I think it’s a great ride in the right setting and it would be a shame for it to go out with a whimper.

Probably not designed to be run all day every day at a theme park. These types of rides won't usually operate during the day and will have rest days when they're packed up and travelling.
What they've paid in rent for these temporary rides I dread to think
They had 3 year contracts for the retro squad rides didn't they. So maybe they paid like £1 million for the 3 years rather than paying each year

They had 3 year contracts for the retro squad rides didn't they. So maybe they paid like £1 million for the 3 years rather than paying each year
Doubt you can hire 4 rides for 3 seasons, staffed and maintained for £1m. Also very much doubt it was an upfront payment given the reason they happened at all was supposedly lack of capex; if they could afford the cost upfront then why wouldn't they have just taken new ride hardware?

Doubt you can hire 4 rides for 3 seasons, staffed and maintained for £1m. Also very much doubt it was an upfront payment given the reason they happened at all was supposedly lack of capex; if they could afford the cost upfront then why wouldn't they have just taken new ride hardware?
Pay in installments, at regular intervals, throughout the years.

Hiring in the Retrosquad would count as operating expenditure as opposed to capital expenditure as they weren’t buying an asset to own themselves.

However I would be surprised if they would have committed to a 3 year contract up front. By their vary nature these rides were brought in at a time when there was a lot of uncertainly surrounding covid, it would seem a little risky to commit to that long up front not knowing how the seasons could have panned out.

Periodic extensions over the 3 years feels like the more likely scenario.

Pretty sure Flavio's has always been staying as it's not part of the retrosquad in any of the promotional or park info materials

I have no problem with Flavios staying but I really wish they’d fully theme it. Makes me think WW isn’t staying and we’re going to see a retheme with Project Horizon.

More likely they invoiced it on a periodic basis, including any contractual penalties (i.e. non-availability).
Well, yes, but I wasn't going into all of the contractual nit picky stuff. There are various ways the agreement could have been arranged, I was opting for a simple explanation as to why they wouldn't have to fork out £1 million up front.

Well, yes, but I wasn't going into all of the contractual nit picky stuff. There are various ways the agreement could have been arranged, I was opting for a simple explanation as to why they wouldn't have to fork out £1 million up front.
Oh, you were answering my rhetoric question. I see.

Yes, that was what I was inferring.

I think at 1st the retro squad worked as it filled the 1.2 to 1.4m tall market as really when you’re too old for CBeebies land. You takeaway the flats you only got Spinball, Gangster granny, Hex (when it was open), Thirteen, The curse of Alton Manor, Congo river rapids with a adult, Runaway mine train and Wickerman.
Now on a busy day like Scarefest or the fireworks you be lucky if you can even get on just all them rides.

Today is the day we see the retro rides operate at towers for the last time. I understand people's criticism of these rides but personally I've really enjoyed having them at the park. I managed to experience all 5 retro rides over the 3 years and I thought I'd maybe rank them in honour of them leaving.
1. Spinjam- I'd be lieing if I said I wasn't sad to see this one go. What a fantastic ride it was easily the best of the retro and a proper thrill ride
2. Mixtape- More family friendly but was still fun regardless
3. Twistatron- Maybe controversial but I actually thought twist was alright tbh
4. Funk'n'fly- Lacked any forces for me but it was always intended to be the family friendly retro ride
5. Roller disco- Ye this one was terrible tbh it just looked completely wrong and ruined the vibe of dark forest. I know people will say all the retro rides looked out of place but this was definitely the worst for that. Barely got any spinning on it making it pointless.
What was your favourite retro ride? Are you disappointed to see any of them go? And the most important question, what do you think will replace them?

Would just like to talk about new flat rides in the future that will take the place of the departing retrosquad. Let me know if you think these rides would be a good fit at towers.
Axis-AD-Day-1-LOW-RES-051220-365-min.jpg
Axis at Adventure Island is basically the same ride as Atmosfear that I have previously mentioned. Key difference is it has a higher capacity. Only problem could be the height when the ride reaches the top. Not sure what location it could go.

Top-Scan-09.jpg
I think a Top scan would be a superb addition to towers. They stay relatively close to the ground and are ultimate thrill machines. Samurai at Thorpe is one of the best flats in the country so think Towers would hugely benefit from one of these.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.