• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Anyway, The Smiler construction...

I'm glad that they have pushed opening back to May. If they are as far behind as suggested, May gives them the breathing space to get it finished and tested with quite a bit of leeway. If they get it finished sooner, they can open it up for soft openings and record guest feedback and maybe it improve like N:Sub-Terra and then open in May to great fanfare. If they don't, because of some other setback, they can open it in May to great fanfare anyway.

Maybe they have run into some other problems with the ground, or maybe they have had some more meetings with the council and were waiting for the response?

Does anybody know where the image of the cobra roll was taken from?

A 'secret weapon' is a codename for large, technologically complex rollercoasters built with some degree of secrecy by Alton Towers. That's all.

The fact they called The Smiler SW7 and have kept as much of the development under wraps as possible has no bearing on the ride whatsoever. The ride would be exactly the same if they released all the details this time last year.

It's just a name that's used out of tradition and as a nod to fans, and a excuse for a bit of fun.

TheMan said:
20 Years ago, you had a point. Now though? No way.

The point still stands now. It came right from the mouths of Alton Towers. It is a codename for a big project, that's all. The expectation just comes from the minds of the people who have overseen the developments over the years. The majority of the public just expect something fun and thrilling.

I've said what I've wanted to say so I'm leaving my views as that.

This is getting highly off topic anyway.

James said:
The point still stands now. It came right from the mouths of Alton Towers. It is a codename for a big project, that's all.

Agree it's going off topic actually.

However, the day Alton Towers stops treating SWs as a way to build world class/beating attractions, is the day Alton Towers becomes just another Theme Park.

Would it be Alton without Nemesis, Oblivion, air etc? Well yes, but only in name.

If anyone here actually believes, that the weight of the SW tag carries no bearing on the incumbents of the present design responsibility, I'd suggest a course in human psychology.

I don't care what official line comes from the Towers. SW rides are special, because when Alton builds something, it means business! They were built to be special, the words "Major Investment" are just another set of letters that, in Alton Towers terms, mean the same thing as SW.

What you all fail to realise, bizarrely, is what that means.

Anyone who is creative, genuinely creative, will grasp that there has to be a spirit, something from far deeper than just an "investment" perspective, that creates something truly unique that grabs and holds peoples attention.

"Solid Investment" etc, all these corporate terms being used here, are completely out of kilter to what simply must happen to create rides of this nature. You cannot build a Nemesis, or an Oblivion with that cold and clinical thought process, it is just not possible.

SW7 would not have this crazy story etc, without immensely creative people striving to deliver something out of the ordinary, spurred on by past achievements and what it means to be at the helm of such a park, with this outstanding reputation.

I am sorry, but I think those who boil this down to simply a buzz word for "a large investment" are completely missing the point!

You honestly think the imagineers etc, don't consider the context of an SW before setting to work on its design?

SW7, is an SW, corporate/management may deem this "large investment" as well they should - but the design team will know better than this - anything less than that, shows huge disrespect to the brilliant work that has gone before it, and created a perspective and expectation of what it means.

That is no bad thing! It is a sign of excellence, which takes me back to original, proven by its own standards point about SWs... they aren't this late.

SW means nothing to the general public. Nemesis, oblivion and air weren't marketed as SWx before the name was announced as far as I'm aware.

It means that to you because you know the background. The general public don't know this, or care. They just see it as a new attraction to ride.

It is literally just a code used internally. They could it Fluffy Kitten 7, and it would still be the same and mean the same.

Dar said:
SW means nothing to the general public. Nemesis, oblivion and air weren't marketed as SWx before the name was announced as far as I'm aware.

It means that to you because you know the background. The general public don't know this, or care. They just see it as a new attraction to ride.

It is literally just a code used internally. They could it Fluffy Kitten 7, and it would still be the same and mean the same.

#SW7 is also a pretty memorable hashtag.......

I remember a few years ago people debating that an SW had to be a B&M because all of them to date had been, then along came Th13teen. Surely that shows the past is irrelevant. Four coasters is way too few to give an accurate definition of what an SW must always be.

So the coaster is late...upset by that or not, I don't see what relevance the code name has.

Earthwürm said:
I remember a few years ago people debating that an SW had to be a B&M because all of them to date had been, then along came Th13teen. Surely that shows the past is irrelevant. Four coasters is way too few to give an accurate definition of what an SW must always be.

So the coaster is late...upset by that or not, I don't see what relevance the code name has.

Although the first SW was Schwarzkopf, so the argument from back then wasn't really correct.

My idea of SW is a major installation that has an part of the ride that's secretive, has a large marketing campaign and is surrounded by a lot of speculation and rumours- many of which are horribly wrong.

Nick said:
Although the first SW was Schwarzkopf, so the argument from back then wasn't really correct.

I thought SW1 & 2 were Arrow Pipeline coasters? Didnt think the Schwarzkopf was a Secret Weapon :-\

Oh, apologies, I got confused with the Schwarzkopf that was designed for Abbey Wood. It was of course the pipeline coaster.

Any way, my point still stands- despite the evidence being incorrect. ;)

I've been over on TTF and seen some aerial pics, but they have blocked out some of it. Any ideas what this little bit is? And where can I search for them!!

aru said:
Oh my god - people stop taking life so seriously and just enjoy the ride, even if it is two months late. :D

Um, it'll be a little hard to enjoy the ride anytime soon, solely on the basis that it is two months late...

It is pretty unacceptable that such a major ride should be so late. I for one cannot understand it; yes, sure, it's a big attraction but what else do they have to do all year apart from the expected maintenance? This should have been started way back in early Summer.

However, I suppose postponing the attraction is better than rushing it... Even so, two months seems a little steep. Late May means almost June. June I count as Summer. Not really great news for enthusiasts and the GP alike.

NastyPasty said:
aru said:
Oh my god - people stop taking life so seriously and just enjoy the ride, even if it is two months late. :D

Um, it'll be a little hard to enjoy the ride anytime soon, solely on the basis that it is two months late...

It is pretty unacceptable that such a major ride should be so late. I for one cannot understand it; yes, sure, it's a big attraction but what else do they have to do all year apart from the expected maintenance? This should have been started way back in early Summer.

However, I suppose postponing the attraction is better than rushing it... Even so, two months seems a little steep. Late May means almost June. June I count as Summer. Not really great news for enthusiasts and the GP alike.

I don't think they will be happy themselves to delay the ride because it will be a major crowd puller for this season, it costs them thousands and thousands with this ride not operating. There must have been some pretty good reasons for the process to be delayed. Some rides in the US are built through all the snow and rain etc but over here it clearly wasn't predicted in the planning documents.

aircanman said:
I've been over on TTF and seen some aerial pics, but they have blocked out some of it. Any ideas what this little bit is? And where can I search for them!!

Its a barrel roll, no great images but the TowersStreet Facebook page has a link to an aerial image that is more distant but not obscured.

As for SW's

SW1 & 2 where both Arrow pipe-line coasters.

NastyPasty said:

This is my point too Nasty, somehow people got drawn into the letters SW not meaning anything and that it's no different to any other attraction or coaster out there....

Yeah, that's what Alton Towers do isn't it lol.

This is why I wish they'd be a bit more definitive and pro-active where an SW is concerned, because it is a major attraction, once again possibly a world first, or world class coaster, as every SW has been, and darn well should be now.

Loudoun Castle is rather picturesque, just like Alton, if people still believe that the nature of building these SWs is not what made Alton so popular you need a reality check.

As I said though, I'm not blaming Towers for it, as it's mostly conjecture or very abstract reasoning (weather... what about it?) that we have as reasons, and that isn't good enough for a project of the magnitude of an SW.

Yes people an SW... a hugely influential, world class, window into the UK theme park industry. No matter how much you are argue it, that is what SW stands for, it is actually self evident - this is not like debating the abstract term of consciousness - these are whacking great lumps of beautifully crafted and designed steel and theme, that actually already exist, and have historical context under that project mantra.

It will open earlier than end of May, I would expect late April early May.

The Hotels will not have the exact opening date, I imagine that is probably the date after which they are guaranteeing the ride open for bookings but not the date the park has planned for the ride to open.

I would put a safe bet on soft opening mid to late April and launch for the first bank holiday weekend in May assuming there are no further delays.

aircanman said:
NastyPasty said:
aru said:

I don't think they will be happy themselves to delay the ride because it will be a major crowd puller for this season, it costs them thousands and thousands with this ride not operating. There must have been some pretty good reasons for the process to be delayed. Some rides in the US are built through all the snow and rain etc but over here it clearly wasn't predicted in the planning documents.

Thanks for that, so it looks like the 'washing machine' was pure speculation?!?!?! I have not been on the forums for so long!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.