• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

Combined with the distinct lack of anything that resembles trick track makes me think the inversion record could well be on the cards.

But that would make it an actual world record, which is something they would want to promote. To me, world beater just suggests that they think it's going to be amazing.

Lordy said:
Combined with the distinct lack of anything that resembles trick track makes me think the inversion record could well be on the cards.

But that would make it an actual world record, which is something they would want to promote. To me, world beater just suggests that they think it's going to be amazing.
To be world beating though it has to beat something that already exists in the world. The only way I can think it would do that is by beating the inversion record... Therefore SW7 would be described as 'world beating'

I think it's the 'standard' inversion record, at a guess 12 as 11 is already happening. As Guinness have decided that 4d inversions count AT can't claim the 'world record' as that is an officially awarded thing. So they call it 'world beating' which has no real meaning but to anyone with any sense it is the record, they just can't call it that officially.

Why else would they use such an awkward sounding line?

The Alton Towers logo in the top left of that image looks fantastic! Never thought of it like that, nice marketing. Liking the face a lot more now, it's certainly growing on me rapidly.

When Oblivion opened, it kind of had that cool vibe that suited the times, with the Drum and Bass soundtrack, etc. Does anyone think we can expect a 'cool' coaster from SW7?

Glad things are finally speeding up at the construction site. Personally I hope they are not pursuing the inversion record, because sooner or later another park will top the record. I hope Alton will be more original than that with this coaster.

I'm not sure how they can beat the inversion record. Even if they just go for 12. Assuming 8 inversions in the main layout, they'll have to fit four inside the pit somehow. It'd just be a long procession of rolls, there's no space or speed to do anything interesting.

MaXtreme said:
Glad things are finally speeding up at the construction site. Personally I hope they are not pursuing the inversion record, because sooner or later another park will top the record. I hope Alton will be more original than that with this coaster.

My thoughts exactly! I just want a big-ass looping coaster with proper trains, ridiculous G forces and airtime. Is that too much to ask?!

Blaze said:
I'm not sure how they can beat the inversion record. Even if they just go for 12. Assuming 8 inversions in the main layout, they'll have to fit four inside the pit somehow. It'd just be a long procession of rolls, there's no space or speed to do anything interesting.
If it were that though - imagine how intense it could be in darkness and with some stunning indoor effects... This ride has a mammoth budget and its gotta be spent somewhere. I think that the indoor portion of this coaster could be truly stunning.

I really hope it doesn't let me down.

Blaze said:

Hence a different outdoor layout to that on the plans which does show 8 outdoor inversions. More outdoor inversions means less need to be indoors. Looking at the indoor space that they potentially have, I can't see any more than 3 inversions being fitted and that's pushing it I reckon.

:)

Doesn't the inversion record only count on a 1 lift hill coaster though? If this has two then surely it can't take the record...right?

According to RCDB there are no coasters with 9 inversions... Worlds First 9 Looping Coaster? It's still a worlds first claim. May not be the most, but it's the first one to do it. And it still beats every other coaster in the world bar the 6 with more inversions which, considering how many coasters exist in the world, is still a majority...

Just a thought :p

LOL. Given that a lot of Alton's guests have never heard of Thorpe Park (I kid you not*), they would probably believe that 9 inversions is a record :p

*Several times, I have been unable to stand by and let queuing morons claim Rita is the fastest coaster in the world. I laugh and point out that it's not even the fastest in the UK, which naturally leads to "Oh. Well what is then?" ... "Stealth at Thorpe Park." ... Seriously, plenty of times people have said "Never heard of it." And once, even "Where's that? Somewhere in America?"

DiogoJ42 said:
LOL. Given that a lot of Alton's guests have never heard of Thorpe Park (I kid you not*), they would probably believe that 9 inversions is a record :p

*Several times, I have been unable to stand by and let queuing morons claim Rita is the fastest coaster in the world. I laugh and point out that it's not even the fastest in the UK, which naturally leads to "Oh. Well what is then?" ... "Stealth at Thorpe Park." ... Seriously, plenty of times people have said "Never heard of it." And once, even "Where's that? Somewhere in America?"

I know how you feel. I've waited in line with a bunch of yorkshire's and they claim it goes 100MPH!, I'm thinking to myself, No It's 60* not 100. xD It's rather funny though. - Merry Christmas 8)

OOoh, what's this on my email......

image01.jpg
image02.gif

Very cool!

AlexDoughty01 said:
DiogoJ42 said:

I know how you feel. I've waited in line with a bunch of yorkshire's and they claim it goes 100MPH!, I'm thinking to myself, No It's 60* not 100. xD It's rather funny though. - Merry Christmas 8)
Yes well that's the parks fault for saying 0 to 100 without specifying Km/h because they know we'll all assume miles an hour. It kind of makes Rita look slow when you consider you go at 70 miles an hour down any motorway.

As for the inversion record I've said all along that I hate the idea because a rides that's all inversions just isn't very fun. Right now the assumed layout of 8 inversions outside 1 in looks great because between each inversion there is something different to counterbalance it like an air-time hill or that slalom section near the end. Replacing these bits with yet another inversion would not make for a better ride.

Anyway new picture ;D

Looks awesome and confirms that duelling inversion definitely is happening!

I think that pretty much confirms that the plans are not accurate... Unless anyone one else can work out what piece of track that is...?

Btw, Diogo, which Pirate Hat are you eating this year?!

I thought it was the Batwing/Cobra Roll combo, but the closest piece doesn't look like a Batwing to me ???

Also, has anyone who signed up not received this? I signed up way back when and haven't received this in either my inbox or junk folder. Super sad :'(

LiamC said:
Also, has anyone who signed up not received this? I signed up way back when and haven't received this in either my inbox or junk folder. Super sad :'(

That'll be the mail server. It has to send the image out, which takes time. You'll get it, eventually.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.