• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I'm trying not to judge this on paper. At the end of the day this is just concept art, and whilst what we see will probably remain fairly true to the illustrations these things rarely appear exactly as imagined.

It will look great when the ride is flying past it though. Much rather have an over the top element of themeing than none at all. Plus, the name of the ride has grown on me, this may well do too!

Always keep an open mind.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
If this thing does turn out anything like this concept, then it really is going to make the rest of X-Sector look pretty poor thematically!

Seeing the cars dive in and out of the legs with all the effects will certainly provide some good competition to Oblivion's drop as the most visually spectacular feature in X-Sector!

:)

I think it was always going to take a lot to put a ride meters from Oblivion and make it stand out. But my word it looks like they've managed it!

While I think it will stand up to Oblivion I don't think it'll take the edge off. That drop is far more intimidating than any number of inversions. I'd probably say it's the worlds most intimidating ride.

They should make a good pair of attractions though! Each one plays to a different type of thrill, and side by side they will make X-Sector truly the parks most thrilling and intimidating area :D

I do love the contrariness of enthusiasts.... Plans submitted.

"Ohh not another dull, grimy theme"

.... Final theme is very much quirky techno

"Ohh this is too much"

For the first time in years they have created an interesting theme with a backstory that doesn't involve unearthing something and putting up scaffolding. The Marmaliser is interesting and unique in those images and the ride theme compliments X-Sector without being a carbon copy of Oblivion.

But maybe I'm just a fan boy

Dave said:
For the first time in years they have created an interesting theme with a backstory that doesn't involve unearthing something and putting up scaffolding. The Marmaliser is interesting and unique in those images and the ride theme compliments X-Sector without being a carbon copy of Oblivion.

Couldn't agree more. =).

I have to admit I do like the theme of this so far, even with all the gimicks on the spider. Alton said they want to create something where people will query what is actually real and I think the themeing does this very well.

Nothing is the "norm", the themeing, the colours, the music, its all very surreal and intimidating. I also love the rainbow stairs at the end, either these will be multicolour due to the amount of vomit flowing down them after the ride, or to highlight climbing the stairs to happiness after being made to "smile".

I think it all looks good to be honest - my only major concern is how will all look in a years time once the elements have been given chance to get hold of it, and given Alton's reputation for fixing things (or not fixing things for a long time) in which case the entire area will start to look tacky. I think it fits in with X Sector very well.

Topic moving too quickly! Let me just throw in my thoughts:

Aesthetically it's a bit clustered but the style I find very appealing. Remember that as concept art the main features will have been exaggerated. Once actually built the Marmalisation effects probably won’t be so prominent, especially given the size of this thing!

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Oh god please don't let the rainbow painted stairs materialize... :/

Lol , I thought rainbow coloured stairs would be a welcome addition for many members of this site ;)

So what guys, we slam every bit of theme we wanted on every other ride on this one and that makes it fine?

I have said anyway I will give it chance, I have been a fan of theme and concept since the start... this is not that concept or theme though.

I may find the smiler quite cute and lovable, and as a coaster in it's own right quite amusing and funny - yet again though, this was not really the path this is heading down, or indeed, how the marketing is being done!

The concepts those guys are talking about in that editorial, are not what is happening here.

This is more Carnival of Screams than The Sanctuary - that much, from that picture, is quite abundantly obvious.

We will wait and see of course, I find it strange that the tables have turned though - from feeling quite on my own at one point, supporting the name how it can fit the theme and X-Sector itself, to not actually having a clue what the heck they are doing.

This is going next to OBLIVION remember. What happened to the concerns, that the sinister/faux happy blend was going to destroy the feel of x-sector, but now it has a ton of cheesy crappy contraptions added, it suddenly fits...

WHAT?

At least I stick by my views.

Well on the one hand we have Oblivion with its black track and orange things, and flashing red lights everywhere, and on the other side we have The Smiler with its black track and yellow things everywhere and a car wash...... i mean come on, what more could you ask for to scramble the mind!!!!!!

Dave said:
I do love the contrariness of enthusiasts.... Plans submitted.

"Ohh not another dull, grimy theme"

.... Final theme is very much quirky techno

"Ohh this is too much"

Errrr... Yes there was some critcism of the original plans, and now there are critcisms of the new plans, but the cross-over between the members making these different complaints probably are very few, and even those that did will probably have their reasons. So you're talking a load of old rubbish by calling the entusiast community contrarian. Unless of course you are complaining at a lack of consensus, but that would be worse as it would make for a very dull forum

I don't get your gripe, and I really just hate it when people turn these theme park topics into discussions about the enthusiast community. Its just a tool so that people can dismiss disagreements without having to engage with them.

I mean I wouldn't mind again if the tat in the press wasn't going "oooh, it will bend your mind etc".

What? Going past a car wash on a roller coaster?

Crikey, Uri Geller has more ingenius mind tricks - at least he (allegedly) bent a spoon or two!

This will be as mind bending as a Walnut Whip, psychologically speaking.

As an out and out coaster it looks decent for a GERSTLAUER. The marketing now, is already concerning me though.

This is more Fun House than Nut House! (No offense)

The Smiler needs an identity separate from Oblivion but doesn't detract from X-Sector (think back to Rita in UgLand).

The theming elements are a bit more interesting than just the car wash, and Gerst are good ride manufacturers these days. And The Smiler is not The sanctuary, they are linked but different.

There is nothing wrong with not liking the look of the theming, its a forum and that should have opposing views. I myself love the theme at the moment but I defended Th13teen right up to opening and was wrong so I appreciate that the ride is not proved until we have ridden it.

But the signs are hopeful.

Dave said:
The Smiler needs an identity separate from Oblivion but doesn't detract from X-Sector (think back to Rita in UgLand).

The theming elements are a bit more interesting than just the car wash, and Gerst are good ride manufacturers these days. And The Smiler is not The sanctuary, they are linked but different.

There is nothing wrong with not liking the look of the theming, its a forum and that should have opposing views. I myself love the theme at the moment but I defended Th13teen right up to opening and was wrong so I appreciate that the ride is not proved until we have ridden it.

But the signs are hopeful.

You tend to stick solidly with your views and explain them Dave, I respect your opinions on the ride of course, I just cannot agree with them.

This has lost any connection with this style to The Sanctuary, opening it now and linking them will actually detract from the Scaremaze! Remember, they are opening it as a support attraction - which now is utterly absurd as they are not even in the same ball park now. Totally removed from each other.

My test will now be, to remove all I have read and come to expect, and replace it with something completely different - and I no doubt will love it for what it is.

What it also is likely to be however, is a missed opportunity. This will most likely be more generally popular with the GP than a more sinister edged would be, but that UTTER RUBBISH in the paper is once again proving the marketing is so far removed from the ride it is stupid.

I really hoped they had learned this lesson, and clearly they have not.

Once again the "psychoaster" nonsense makes a seriously unwelcome return... (no offense Alastair lol)

And they were doing SO WELL!!

At least those farmers can get their sheep washed eh?

The paper material is actually not anywhere near as sensational as Th13teens was. They do "big up" the ride but it fits more into the style of the ride they are marketing (ie: they are not trying to call a souped up intamin family coaster a thrill ride).

The Sanctuary was a style and theme for a Scaremaze and played on that institutional fear. In many ways the modern Smiler idea pulls more off more modern fears such as cyber attacks and the risks of technology.

I'm probably over-reading the story but in many ways the two style identify well with the era's they are set in.

I'm reserving judgement till I see it in the flesh. Don't count your sheep till they're spray painted and all that.

Still think it looks better than what I originally expected:

71523748_8e6ce3eb19.jpg

TheMan said:
This has lost any connection with this style to The Sanctuary, opening it now and linking them will actually detract from the Scaremaze! Remember, they are opening it as a support attraction - which now is utterly absurd as they are not even in the same ball park now. Totally removed from each other.

How can you say that after one article featuring a few concepts of the Marmaliser? You simply can't. The Smiler is the MOJ's new facility to make people smile, as they're old facility (The Sanctuary) was dated and not modernised. The Smiler will make people smile in various was, part of this is the five features of the Marmaliser. It all makes perfect sense and fits in with the theme almost perfectly. It all seems like a really well thought out theme, and it looks like the execution is going to be good as well. If you were expecting The Smiler to be a bigger rollercoaster version of The Sanctuary then you were mistaken, as that was never going to happen.

TheMan said:
What it also is likely to be however, is a missed opportunity. This will most likely be more generally popular with the GP than a more sinister edged would be, but that UTTER RUBBISH in the paper is once again proving the marketing is so far removed from the ride it is stupid.

I really hoped they had learned this lesson, and clearly they have not.

Once again the "psychoaster" nonsense makes a seriously unwelcome return... (no offense Alastair lol)

An article on the Daily Mail website does not define the marketing campaign. All the 'most terrifying ride ever' stuff is needed to get attention. The papers like it, and getting in the papers like this is great for exposure. You have to remember that this promotion in the papers etc worked really well for Thirteen in terms of getting guests to the park, however the product didn't quite back it up. This time we will almost certainly have a much better product. I'd be more concerned if we saw actual marketing material, such as posters or TV ads, featuring things like worlds more terrifying coaster, pyscoaster blah blah blah, that wouldn't be so great. However I don't mind it in either PR stunts or newspaper articles at is gets people reading.

:)

Great so we remove from the brilliantly inventive marketing campaign of earlier, that was sinister/humour - to over playing these psychological elements of the ride that you are going to whizz past (new information coming forward withstanding of course).

Based as it is, right now, that article is mainstream marketing. It stands for everything that was awful about SW6, and completely contradicts the brilliant style of the earlier efforts.

Normal service resumed, after huge promise.

I will change my opinion, if this does not become the "norm". However, they clearly assigned this ride to The Sanctuary, denying it does no good.

You have the pictures in London, the scaremaze last year, the MOJ, Kelman - way too convenient to distance the two attractions, that should have been in sync.

They are not, Sanctuary pretended to be happy and was deeply sinister, this will clearly not be (at this point).

As I say, as a comical funny ride - almost cartoon like is absolutely accurate - it will be great, and a GP pleaser and crowd puller, but as anything like The Sanctuary or it's previously brilliant marketing and direction seemed to assert, it is nothing like it.

They linked it to MOJ, The Sanctuary, combined the opening and marketing, not me.

The one thing I am wondering and which hasnt been touched on at all is where Marmalade comes into this, and should all riders be armed with a slice of toast when boarding the ride......

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.