• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
TheMan said:
Absolutely - so quick....

Who knows eh, maybe the game, concept art, AND new pictures are all inaccurate, and a miracle will happen and car wash brushes wont look like car wash brushes!!

Sometimes, things are just exactly as they appear you know.

Novas said:
I suggest we stay on the fence for a little while longer.

Novas you make me laugh too, giving the game a load of stick and fence sitting about car wash brushes on the centre piece of this ride ;)

Dude - priorities man! (just winding you up ;) )

Seriously though, I was absolutely 100% supportive of the ride, but if something ridiculous comes out, I don't give a turd what my previous opinion was - I will not hold on to it out of stubborn pride and end up looking stupid.

If this looks ridiculous, and you defend it, you too will look like a car wash brush ;D

:twirly: :twirly:

;)

TL;DR - ALWAYS change your opinion to what is cool.

So let me get this straight, saying a terrible looking piece of theming looks awful is unfair, but two months ago, when the ride was just dirt with about 5 track pieces erected, it was fine to say "this looks so good I'm so excited!11one!1"

The piece looks awful. That's not saying the whole spider will look awful, let alone saying the ride will be awful.

Blaze said:
So let me get this straight, saying a terrible looking piece of theming looks awful is unfair, but two months ago, when the ride was just dirt with about 5 track pieces erected, it was fine to say "this looks so good I'm so excited!11one!1"

The piece looks awful. That's not saying the whole spider will look awful, let alone saying the ride will be awful.

Precisely Blaze, and giving the game stick when it is free and giving away prizes without wanting to know what time your morning ablutions are ;D

Makes me properly chuckle!

For the record, I haven't seen the pictures yet, so when one is available that some moron wont try and sue about, I'd like to see it. I do however, to be fair, see plenty as I drive around town anyway just usually at a different angle behind some plastic screens.

I am not expecting this will be much different - unless there are stout car wash defenders whom would like to furnish me with the model number? Is it a hot wax resistant special or something? Maybe one that was used to clean a historic machine so has some provenance?

The irony of so many people wanting X-Sector and blivvy "cleaned up" and now they fit car washes next to it ;D

Once again I don't get your analogy. I criticised the game, a finished product which has been released to the market. I am witholding criticisim on this, which is two box sections of metal and a car wash brush being worked on in a private workyard. :/

In no way am I suggesting that this arm looks any good. Alton have a pretty naff track record when it comes to attributing storylines to rides so I'd rather they did away with all the weird concepts on the arms altogether.

I'm sure there are many cases of incomplete theming looking 'naff' or whatever, with it turning out to look great. As has been said you really can't judge a piece of theming when it's half built, totally incomplete and not in place. It doesn't need to look good at the moment, it's not on display for all to see.

Blaze said:

There was a full NoLimits recreation to go off for a start. Saying a ride looks good from plans and whatnot is different to saying theming looks bad from one photo of it where it's incomplete.

:)

According to the latest updates from TT, the two inversions after the cobra roll and before the turn back into the station have been constructed.

So there we have it, 14 inversions at least now! Nice to see more track up!

Sexy inversions are sexy (at least if they are going for the record they might as well do it with style :D )

I am enjoying giving people a ribbing about some of the more bizarre theme choices as they seem - but there is not denying how absolutely mental the layout seems.

I just find Gerst to be on the whole quite a force less coaster - more swoopy if anything, that may suit this style of tight interactive ride. I hope so

TheMan said:
I just find Gerst to be on the whole quite a force less coaster - more swoopy if anything, that may suit this style of tight interactive ride. I hope so

I can assure you that not all Gerstlauer's are like that. Anubis really packs a punch!

On another note, it is going to be amazing to see how they manage to fit the coaster and theming along with the queue etc into the space they have. It doesn't seem possible!

You have no idea how pleased I am with the shaping of the inversions.

Firstly, the zero-G roll has quite significant hang-time at the top of the inversion, giving a very nice floater. Secondly, that corkscrew looks like it has a flat heart-line. Basically, I think it could give a nice bit of ejector air, depending on the speed in which it's taken at.

And wow, look how under-supported the first inversion is. And the second one as well.

Anyway, for that gap in between the station and the final breaks, is that transfer track? It looks like it to me, but I'm not sure if it fits with the plans.

The most recent updated explains the multitudes of twisty track that was being stored for months, and the complete lack of straight sections that we all thought meant that a lot of the track was yet to be delivered.

It's almost like the mantra of "Straight track bad, bendy track good" was taken a little too seriously. It looks mental! The sculpting of those inversions looks really nice though. Not a colossus-esque element in sight so far!

Nick said:
Anyway, for that gap in between the station and the final breaks, is that transfer track? It looks like it to me, but I'm not sure if it fits with the plans.

It will be for the transfer track yeah, it's in the same place as on the plans :)

Has anyone else noticed the holding brake that's now in place after the indoor heart line roll?

There certainly does seem to be some rather guano-crazy lengths of steel tubing here. Just how crazy is going to depend on the speed, of course.
My only worry (RE: track and train) is that an OTSR will make for a severe headbanger :/

There's a really good post on TT someone has created with the inversions on the planned layout.

Post here (thanks to clayj on towerstimes)

It really hammers home how many inversions there are and also kinda shows that the plans were right all the time, they just didn't bother rendering the track fully to give away quite how many inversions there were going to be!

adsyrah said:
It really hammers home how many inversions there are and also kinda shows that the plans were right all the time, they just didn't bother rendering the track fully to give away quite how many inversions there were going to be!

Indeed. The track seems to be following the same path as the plans, just with aditional twists along the roll axis. It could almost be said that both the "plans are a lie" and "Plans will be right" camps were right. How often can that be said? :p

adsyrah said:

Therefore the plans were wrong! ;)

Josh said:
Has anyone else noticed the holding brake that's now in place after the indoor heart line roll?

WASHING MACHINE!! AAAAAA! :p

This looks crazy! If they use that massive concrete slab effectively for the queue and for an audience plaza, it'll be even better!

Like Diogo though, I am worried about possible headbanging if there are OTSRs.

It looks like you are going to take those last two inversions at quite some speed, and they look great! Absolutely mental.

I bet that Hezeig something metallurgical company ltd in China are already thinking of disgusting ways to clone this + 1 roll to get the record they wanted with 'Journey to the stars'.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.