• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Ryan said:
Regarding Marmalisation, I've mentioned the word to a few people here in Warwickshire and they've never heard it before - am I the only person who comes from an area where this word is common-place??

Apparently the world was popularised by Liverpudlian comedian Ken Dodd from his shows in the 1960's. Here's a quote from World Wide Words:
Marmalise means “utterly destroyed” or “totally demolished”. It’s still known in Britain, though less than it was when the renowned Liverpudlian comedian Ken Dodd popularised it in the 1960s.

It’s long-established Liverpool-Irish slang, said to be from marmalade plus pulverise. Its earliest known appearance in print is in Lern Yerself Scouse: How to Talk Proper in Liverpool by Frank Shaw, Fritz Spiegl and Stan Kelly: “I’ll marmalise yer. / will chastise you severely.” On rare occasions it has appeared in more exalted company.

2zp2lx5.jpg

I wonder if Alton Towers were inspired by Ken and his ''tickling stick''?

I'll give you ten quid if you ever hear a Scouser say "Marmalise". I had never heard the word until Alton started using it.

I only talked about this in the shout box and wasn't going to write it in the thread - but Alton is right.

He was in fact one of Ken Dodds Diddy Men

I will put this in a spoiler.

6a00df3520ef62883401127940d14128a4-320wi

Mick the Marmaliser

I hope things will calm down a bit so we can constructively discuss the construction of the ride! Does anyone else get the impression that AT may have dropped the grimey weathered look for the station / themeing considering the look of the station in the game? Apologies if this has been discussed before. :)

aru said:
I hope things will calm down a bit so we can constructively discuss the construction of the ride! Does anyone else get the impression that AT may have dropped the grimey weathered look for the station / themeing considering the look of the station in the game? Apologies if this has been discussed before but it is difficult to follow the thread sometimes. :)

Almost certainly. The old look would clash badly with the new concepts for the spider.

:)

Sam said:
I really hope that isn't the ride's main theme, it's worse than Th13teen's nursery rhyme rip-off and that's saying something! I want something dark and seriously industrial, not that plinky-plonky melody on top that tries and fails to sound creepy!

I happen to love the music for th13teen, it's fantastic! I've been away for a week and just catching up with posts and sometimes think there is just no pleasing you Sam.
Why don't you try and take some good out of it.?? The music on the game is also awesome so just chill out and stop moaning about everything which is still speculation. If you don't like it, don't ride it.

On a back on topic note, we went this week and saw loads of track.. I'm getting really excited about this ride, and got the game today!!
I think Alton are as usual promoting this very well, giving us bits and bobs here and there.. It's going to be a great ride and what a great job marketing and the builders have creating such hype!

At least one big(ish) new support is up since the last lot of photos. Though I don't think any more track has gone up. They appeared to be either digging or moving earth today along with pouring more concrete.

Also, there are some catwalk pieces in the mini bus car park. Only a few, but one of them looks like it is for the top of the first lift.

:)

Rob said:
At least one big(ish) new support is up since the last lot of photos. Though I don't think any more track has gone up.

Oooooh you have no idea! :p There maaaay be a teeny bit more track up now... ;)
Like some barrel rolls...

Josh said:
Rob said:
At least one big(ish) new support is up since the last lot of photos. Though I don't think any more track has gone up.

Oooh ok! It's rather hard to tell looking through trees and from afar! :p

Rob said:
Josh said:
Rob said:

Yeah it's probably hard to see through the trees as its not high track that has gone up, still exciting though! :)

Rob said:

If that doesn't sound sinister, then I don't know what does! :p

Josh said:

Pics? Your job isn't worth more than some pictures! Is it? :S

I'm getting more and more excited for this, in all the garish yellow that Alton can throw at it. I cannot wait to not only ride this thing, but also just stand and watch it go past!

Dar said:
Josh said:

Pics? Your job isn't worth more than some pictures! Is it? :S

Yes. Yes it is. :p Plus I don't have my phone on me when I'm at work.

TTF have just posted a picture of the Smiler's 'tickler' element.

I realise it's not close to completion, but it's slightly concerning me. It looks a bit naff.

I think there might be some more to be added. Something like some metal flails in the rollers seems like the kind of twisted thing the MoJ would think was a good idea.

It's a half finished piece of a piece of a piece of themeing which is under construction and is located in an area which is not meant to be seen by the general public.

I think raising concerns is fine, but out right criticism of this 'arm' is premature and short sighted. It could look awesome, it could look like a car wash, I suggest we stay on the fence for a little while longer.

Novas said:
It's a half finished piece of a piece of a piece of themeing which is under construction and is located in an area which is not meant to be seen by the general public.

I think raising concerns is fine, but out right criticism of this 'arm' is premature and short sighted. It could look awesome, it could look like a car wash, I suggest we stay on the fence for a little while longer.

This opinion is the proverbial nail on head...

So quick to criticise...

You also can't really get a true scale of the size of the spider pieces from the air either - I daresay that it'll look significantly more impressive once assembled.

Absolutely - so quick....

Who knows eh, maybe the game, concept art, AND new pictures are all inaccurate, and a miracle will happen and car wash brushes wont look like car wash brushes!!

Sometimes, things are just exactly as they appear you know.

Novas said:
I suggest we stay on the fence for a little while longer.

Novas you make me laugh too, giving the game a load of stick and fence sitting about car wash brushes on the centre piece of this ride ;)

Dude - priorities man! (just winding you up ;) )

Seriously though, I was absolutely 100% supportive of the ride, but if something ridiculous comes out, I don't give a turd what my previous opinion was - I will not hold on to it out of stubborn pride and end up looking stupid.

If this looks ridiculous, and you defend it, you too will look like a car wash brush ;D

:twirly: :twirly:

;)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.