• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Just been looking through the latest TT pics. Most of the track leading up to the first lift is now in place, along with the base frame. One of the gears for the chain lift is clearly visible, so this confirms a standard chain lift. Also, there is now clearly no space for any trick track between the station and the first lift. I'm going to call this as the moment the washing machine rumour has been categorically proven to not exist.

It's looking pretty certain that there is no "secret element" - all we'll be getting is a 14+ inversions out and back rollercoaster. Pity :p I swear someone said that if there was no secret element they would eat their own hat?

I think the biggest piece of news is that they have moved the piece of track that has been sat in the pit for 3 months. I do hope it likes its new surroundings!

spin_doctor said:
If I am wrong (which i'm not) I swear on my life, I will crack an egg on my face an upload a photo of me holding a sign saying, 'I am sorry Towers Street. I suck at life'

That's how sure I am. :cool:

So, when are you planning on doing this? :)

Posted this in Strange Coasters topic but:

Maximum RPM/Round About at Freestyle Music Park I think it is:

Round About's Ferris Wheel Lift - Freestyle Music Park

This is a longer view:

Maximum-RPM RAW!

Whilst obviously not a washing machine, how could you brand suspended rotating track as a world first now anyway? Ok it doesn't invert, but it does rotate on free wheels.

It is though, even if it is a different manufacturer (Premier?), proof a the concept potential. This is a fair few years old now. So as crazy an idea as it sounds, it has been done to both a more impressive, (multiple car loading system) and less impressive (free wheeled, not mechanically inverting) design.

Also makes me realise, just how little space something like this would take up - and given that example, how relatively easy it may be to do it.

I have never been on the side of them getting one, and I hope they don't personally, I don't think it is quite time to entirely rule it out yet to the degree of eggs, faces and signs

There isn't enough room for the associated systems that go with it, like motors and sensors and brakes.

I do find it amusing how we've gone from saying there's no way they would do it, to explaining away methods they could use to do it! :p

#TeamLoadOfOldHotpoint

Dar said:
There isn't enough room for the associated systems that go with it, like motors and sensors and brakes.

I do find it amusing how we've gone from saying there's no way they would do it, to explaining away methods they could use to do it! :p

#TeamLoadOfOldHotpoint

Whilst I personally think it is a stupid idea lol, I detest those kinds of things - not because they are bad, I just don't like them - it does go to show that companies are already using the principle. It's also interesting to consider how they may stick one in somewhere.

I think it is a safe enough distance away from being real that we can have that discussion - I am just that little bit less certain knowing a smaller manufacturer has already achieved a version of it for a different purpose.

:twirly:

Tim said:
There is no right answer.

As it happens I have already written about this issue for a side project I've been working on to define the best elements of ride design. Here is what I wrote on the matter:

Queue Line Distractions
A Queue Line Distraction is anything which is present in a queue line which in some way prevents the user to be queuing normally. These can include:
□ Seating
□ Vending Machines
□ Kiosks
□ Toilets
□ Queue Line Activities

These facilities pose an issue to normal queuing

When confronted by a distraction there are three ways around the situation:
1) Sacrifice the distracted persons place in the queue by allowing others to go ahead of them
2) Hold the queue up behind the distracted person.
3) Allow others to go ahead but let the distracted person queue cut to the place they were before.

None of these options are ideal.
- The first option is normally considered to be the correct course of action by other guests. You have decided to be distracted and therefore forfeit your place in the queue. However from the point of view of the park this is not a profitable attitude to take as it may detract the guest from being distracted and in the case of a vending machine or kiosk result in lost sales.
- The second option seems harmless but can be very frustrating for those who are left waiting. Queuing is always less noticeable when the queue is moving at a good rate. Even worse is if the shop has been placed too close to the rides entrance there is a chance that a long delay could stop people reaching the station.
- The third option only benefits the person in question while causing confusion and annoyance to everyone else. This option also violates the rules on queue jumping and can result in being removed from the queue.

I've gone onto write about ways to avoid these situations all together but it's all very rough at the moment and way too long for me to repost here.

You forgot to add "geeks who hold up the line to take hundreds of photos" to your list. I'm thinking of Blue Fire especially, here.
;)

Surely vending machines are better from a profit point of view? That is if they are kept with FRESH stock, not the out of date stuff you hear about from Towers vending machines.

What I also hate is that so much that gets purchased at these queue line stores ends up on the floor of the queue and in the ride areas because people don't understand what bins are. :( Hopefully Smiler won't be getting one.

BigAl said:
What I also hate is that so much that gets purchased at these queue line stores ends up on the floor of the queue and in the ride areas because people don't understand what bins are. :( Hopefully Smiler won't be getting one.

Bad news: it is.

I dont really mind shops in the queue lines, breaks up a long wait, and in the summer you can get a cold drink or ice cream nom nom. Plus it will allow guests time to purchase sick bags before boarding the Smiler :)

CoasterCrazyChris said:
BigAl said:

Bad news: it is.
If it's themed it won't be so bad. But still... :l

GaryH said:
Plus it will allow guests time to purchase sick bags before boarding the Smiler :)
I can see the marketing now

New for 2013 branded sick bags. A must for all weak stomached coaster riders. Pick the bag for your least favourite ride and vomit on the printed image of it inside the bag.
Go on vomit on Nemesis ST today!

:D :D :D :D

I generally think that shops in queuelines are a absolute stupid idea. They can hold up queues which makes queuing longer (Obviously). If the queue starts after where the shop appears then it's fine. But you slowly pass it whilst queuing then it becomes a pain when people are buying stuff.

If you want food or drink while queuing, buy it from a shop on the park beforehand and take it in with you.

This is completely off topic but thought I'd have my say on queue line shops. I really don't have a problem with them. On a hot sunny day in you're stuck in a very long queue you can very quickly become thirsty. Or if you do become hungry in the queue you at least have the option to buy something. And they definitely do not hold up the queue. They just mean that you are standing still for a little longer than you would otherwise be, before then having more forward movement before you would otherwise be. The queue time remains the same.

However, they can be a little pointless depending on their positioning. For example, I would deem the Air queue line shop pointless as it is too near to the front of the queue. They should really be about in the middle of the queue, and then they only need to be opened when it is busy.

:)

However, I do recall there being an Air shop halfway around when the FULL queue line used to be open on extremely busy days, up the hill, past the tv monitors, down the other side....

The best positioned shop in the park is on the Flume. Not too far into the queue, but not too close to the front. Even on a mildly busy day it's just at the right point.

I don't mind queue line shops, Rob is right in saying your only really spending a few seconds not moving forward but make up for it as soon as the person is done at the kiosk.

I personally find them useful, especially during scarefest where queueing can be nasty with the freezing weather so a coffee half way round is a welcome option.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.