• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I don't mind them, but what annoys me is the people ordering who just faff about for half an hour choosing what they want with little regard to the fact they are creating a hold-up! The the server takes another half an hour to serve them what they want!

I don't get the problem, you still in the same place in the queue, if anything I like the nice long walk you get when the faffs over.

:)

If it was just a case of one person stopping at the shop every few minutes they would be acceptable. But the problems start when large groups start to all buy things individually. Especially hot drinks that take time to make.
The kiosks are usually only staffed by one person, so things take even longer. Add to this the way that congestion moves backwards along a queue, and you can end up with the back of the queue not moving an inch for up to ten minutes. I've heard people in Th13teen's queue say that the ride must be broken down, turn round and leave, when it was all the fault of shop faff.

I've had someone with me who has thought that about Th13teen....the rides running 3 trains flat out and we are not moving. I lept to the assumtion they had over-sold some form of fast track and were trying to clear that queue out. Some time later the queue picked up a brisk pace and sustained it until the shop was in sight....and the whole thing happened again, thats when I realised what was going on!

Personally I'm not in favour of these shops. I understand them, too many people dont and think the wrong thing and start leaving rides. This is no doubt why on forums you see reports of rides breaking down, and having been there yourself and that time, you think, 'well I never saw it break down!'

If people cant be organsied enough to have a pee, buy some crisps and a drink before entering an hour long line tough titty.

Anyway, the Smiler, I am correct in saying the washing machine eliment has been dismissed now?

Ash

Ash84 said:
Anyway, the Smiler, I am correct in saying the washing machine eliment has been dismissed now?

Pretty much yeah. There's literally no room on the construction site for any secret element now. Where some people claimed the element would be is just a straight piece of track now that leads you to the lift hill.

It's been known for quite a while now really. But now we pretty much have conclusive proof from TowersTimes and Alton Towers photographs that the washing machine element will not be happening.

I went to Thorpe Park last year and was in a 3 hour queue for The Swarm, it was boiling hot and an ice cream/drink from the queueline shop was really useful.

They don't change your overall wait time, so I dunno why everyone is so worried about them.

Wilsy said:
I went to Thorpe Park last year and was in a 3 hour queue for The Swarm, it was boiling hot and an ice cream/drink from the queueline shop was really useful.

They don't change your overall wait time, so I dunno why everyone is so worried about them.

You deserve to go hungry/thirsty if you are willing to queue for 3 hours for anything at Thorpe. Darwin's law. ;)

:twirly:

(For the record, I'm not fussed, and Wilsy makes a good point - I added this bit after he thanked the post ;D)

As I said before there's no logical problem with them just psychological.

...which at a Theme Park is an issue as you want people to be happy. And as Ash84 pointed out a stationary queue gives all sorts of bad impressions like breakdowns, overselling of fastrack or staff incompetency. That's bound to lead to trouble at some point.

Need to nudge back on topic as this is becoming a more broad discussion on queue shops.

Thanski

TheMan said:
Rob said:
and then they only need to be opened when it is busy.

Which is exactly why they don't put them in the middle ;)

;D

Dude... Merlin remember :twirly:

Oh of course! ;) In an ideal world they'd be in the middle and open only when it's busy. But only opening them when busy isn't good from a business point of view. I think that's why some of the newer ones (like Thirteen's and Swarm's) serve two different points in the queue. A point where there will nearly always be a queue unless it is very quiet and a point more towards the middle of the queue. This then creates logistical nightmares if there is only one till or one member of staff though.

Anyway, something on-topic! The Smiler, it should be going through final checks etc tomorrow ready for Saturday. Instead there's still track in the car parks. I'm really looking forward to being in X-Sector though and seeing it up close. It's going to all look a little strange at first.

Rob said:
The Smiler, it should be going through final checks etc tomorrow ready for Saturday.

That was annoying, I read that and thought - WOW, they must have motored and got to testing phase!

I know, I know.

TheMan said:
Rob said:
The Smiler, it should be going through final checks etc tomorrow ready for Saturday.

That was annoying, I read that and thought - WOW, they must have motored and got to testing phase!

I know, I know.
We can only dream about walking in on Saturday and it being open :)

James said:
Wishful thinking, TheMan? ;)

Alternative reality more like where this ride is concerned ha-ha!!

Don't get me wrong I didn't think it meant open, just thought it meant testing and being suitable for the public to be around safely. Then I read "track in car park still".

Really? Half way through March, track in car park still? I don't think anyone here would have predicted that even when the delays were getting quite bad. I am still pretty shocked by that, given how quick other coasters around the world have gone up now in worse conditions than we have had.

Makes you wonder as per another thread, where another Gerst seems to be delayed. Spread themselves to thin, to early perhaps?

Makes me wonder.

And given it doesn't seem like X will be open till later, Chessie puts back MAP day and Zufari - for a company of this supposed stature, no matter how you look at it, there is an issue to be resolved it really isn't good enough.

Merlin, you really need to get a grip - these are awful standards. Think of all the opening issues across all the parks - we are 2 months out of any bad weather now.

I personally would be hugely embarrassed by this if I ran the UK sector of Merlin...

Has anyone looked at pictures of Saw since all these construction updates came out?

Looks so bland. xD.

To be fair, I don't think Gerstlauer are to blame for the delay. I think there have been other issues. I really hope they can get it fully built by the end of March and testing soon after that. As if they can't they'll be heading for yet more problems.

I take it the remaining track will have constant security during opening hours to stop everyone climbing all over the twisted black metal goodness?...**drools**

Not caught up on this topic in a while. WOW...

Ian said:
883550_10151510666781201_842341362_o.jpg

I think I'm in love :D

Also, Oblivion looks nothing short of stunning in the background here <3

hailants.jpg

I, for one, welcome our new Gerstlauer overlords.

Going by the park map, it looks like The Smiler's shop is going to be called "Buy The Smiler". Not too sure about that as a shop name, very strange!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.