• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It's a seemingly Merlin based issue that their attraction lead-up times are too short. I don't doubt there where probably good reasons that could not be forseen that lead to the delay but a lot of other parks have their new rides planned to be built 4 months before opening. The last few months used for theming extras and training.

They need longer lead-ups, Th13teen was last minute, Sun-Terra was incomplete at opening and smiler will likely open more than 2 months late. It's not a great track record, we know things can delay projects but putting in more redundancy into the schedule would save embarrassment and overall save money.

I think they've got a schedule in their head where they'll apply for planning permission in January/February for major projects. Then they trying and prep the site for after the end of the main Summer peak times, ready for Vertical construction after that. Then inevitably there's delays in planning, prepping the site etc, leaving them only a few months to build most of the ride.

Smiler was simply too last minute, I'd be surprised if detailed plans for the ride weren't being drawn up as construction was going ahead. It's a complex project, and I'd imagine that delays in sorting out how the whole thing fits together caused this delay.

Look what we have here:

15Inversions_zpscec2fde7.jpg

(Taken from: here with thanks to cactuselves)

Very interesting! :)

P.S It is originally in German and has been directly translated.

I wonder if an extra one is going on the end of the brake run? Or if a cheeky vertical loop could go in before the vertical lift?

After it reading 'Opening May: 2013th' then I would take it with a pinch of salt. It's more likely to be a typing error by the looks of things.

siralgenon said:
After it reading 'Opening May: 2013th' then I would take it with a pinch of salt. It's more likely to be a typing error by the looks of things.

Its translated from German, thats why it may read unusual, such as words swapped around and whatnot. The number 15 though is written as '15' so it translates as '15' in English & German.

TowersStreet said there is a mug with 14 loops on it maybe standing for 14 inversions. Here is said mug:

486597_458493954221054_1559933828_n.jpg

(Credit: Jordan)

13 loops that you can see. Surely if there is one more at the top out of view to make 14 then there could be room for another at the bottom?

Rollercoasters4Life said:
13 loops that you can see. Surely if there is one more at the top out of view to make 14 then there could be room for another at the bottom?

Yes, makes sense to me. Add this to the in game mention. Entirely possible.

Shockingly though, I am not a fan of that mug. Looks like someone vomited all over it, sorry everyone lol! I love the logo I hope there will be other choices stylistically.

I am a big fan of mugs, some say I am one ;D - so I hope they have other choices!

Dr Kelman with MOJ and a slogan on one side, and The Smiler on the other would have been my preference.

Glad that they are pushing the merchandise on this one, though I wonder if they will be spreading the ideas a bit thin with over 80 lines! Like the look of the workbook at the bottom though.

The mug looks horrific though! (...and whats worse is that it was probably manufactured overseas and they didn't take advantage of the local potteries)

So it's the 16th of March. Just wanted to point that out ;)

Out of interest I wonder what's happened to things like the Trains which must be ready by now but haven't made an appearance yet? Are they on site, in storage somewhere or still waiting to be shipped over?

If anyone isn't head over to Towersnerd live for some seriously insane updates! it doesn't even look like there is enough clearance for a cotton reel, let alone arms, legs and cars!

Untitled-1_zps49620d08.jpg

Towersnerd owns this image!

Rollercoasters4Life said:
TowersStreet said there is a mug with 14 loops on it maybe standing for 14 inversions. Here is said mug:

486597_458493954221054_1559933828_n.jpg

(Credit: Jordan)

What's even stranger, I looked in Towers Trading, and the hotel shops yesterday. These mugs were no where to be found... Someone let some stock out on sale too early perhaps?..

TT are reporting that The Smiler will open on the 15th of May

TowersTimes has recieved news that The Smiler is set for a 15th May launch date.

Alton Towers' new roller coaster was set to open yesterday, 16th March, but the opening has been delayed by approximately two months until May. Until recently the exact opening date has not been known, but the expected date is now 15th May.

Well from how the building site looked yesterday there still seems to be an awful lot to do. If they can hit the 15th they'll have to get a move on! There looked to be a fair bit of construction left to do, and even after that there's still all the wiring, testing, and training to get sorted. It's going to be tight...

cotda said:
Ooh, isn't it a bit soon to be announcing another date? Miss the deadline twice in a row? It's possible?

They aren't announcing a date, TT have just claim to have confirmed rumours of its opening. They are obviously going to have a date in mind, because TT have leaked it doesn't mean that they want everyone else to know.

Alastair said:
cotda said:
Ooh, isn't it a bit soon to be announcing another date? Miss the deadline twice in a row? It's possible?

They aren't announcing a date, TT have just claim to have confirmed rumours of its opening. They are obviously going to have a date in mind, because TT have leaked it doesn't mean that they want everyone else to know.
No date has been announced, and I'd be surprised if a date is actually announced until a lot closer to May!

EuroSatch said:
Opening on a Wednesday? Not convinced!

The Swarm opened on a Thursday. It's ahead of the summer half term, as I suppose they're still expecting some operating issues, and so wouldn't want that to happen when the park's really busy.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.