• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The original guards didn't wear big stripey socks or dentist glasses.

They wore big boots and aviators. They looked sinister but still kept the sort of sci-fi, fun look.

These yellow things just look comical. There's supposed to be some sort of sinister undertone. There isn't any.

Everything else so far is ok as a twist, apart from maybe the spider could look a bit more science-y and a bit less industrial, but overall, as a 'twist' of X Sector, everything else we know about the ride works. The uniform though is just daft.

OK, so if white coats wouldn't work, how about yellow lab coats? Or have them all in suits like government agents.
Frankly, having them wear furry mascot heads would be better than this.

TheMan said:
To be clear, again, I love the theme on it's own, the ride, the quirkiness, everything - but it is once again NOT X-Sector, and NOT The Sanctuary.

Arggghh!! And what they could have done with this makes me border on actually angry - 18 MILLION pounds and the chance to create a dual attraction, with continuity, incredible theme, a phenomenal coaster and possibly the most psychologically intense ride on the planet.

AND THEY DRESS THEM LIKE RONALD McDONALD AND ADD CAR WASH BRUSHES!!

The Smiler uniform is identical to The Oblivion one it that video (same cut) with these following differences.....

- Colour
- Stripey Socks/ short leg length
- Stripey Gloves

Yet you talk as though they have actually put them in a clown outfit.... right.

The only part of the Sanctuary that mentions linking in to the Smiler is the Marmalisation scene which up-to-press is exactly the same style as the current trends we have seen with The Smiler: Leg ticklers, water effects, hypnotic graphics.

I say we go back to the industry grunge theme.... but everyone moaned about that as well. Or maybe they should have copied Oblivions theme to the letter..... but everyone would have said it was un-original.

Maybe they can't win....

Once again it seems people have been quick to jump in and criticise an aspect without seeing the complete, finished article. If you ask me, from what we've seem so far with the game and Marmiliser concepts the uniform is very befitting to the ride.

At least they avoided the obvious cleche white coats. Until we see the whole ride on opening day, and have experienced it they probably won't make much sense. When it all comes together it'll probably look even better.

Some people get so lost up in the irrelevant details of silly backstories that you miss the obvious purpose. Try and look at this from a non-verbal perspective.

The Smiler shares themes with The Sanctuary, but it is stylistically very different. From everything I have seen of The Smiler so far, The Smiler is far removed from the overused imagery of 'doctors in white coats', 'scary' mental institutions, tortured patients, etc... It has developed its own take on hypnosis, employing a darkly stylish, stranger and almost Oblivion-esque persona that is not usually associated with that theme.

And it's all the better for it, because avoiding obvious cliches makes a ride far more interesting. Alton Towers are actually creating something original rather than selecting a theme from a spectrum of preset ideas. "Abandoned mental institute experimenting on patients" has been done hundreds of times already in books, films and theme parks and is no longer that interesting.

Ideas are abstract and can therefore be manipulated. Alton Towers are playing on the established concept of hypnosis, while giving The Smiler its own unique identity. They have chosen this black and yellow striped design because that is the Smiler's image, that is the new image they want to convey. Anybody suggesting the staff "should" be in white doctors overalls just because 'it fits the theme' are missing the point and not thinking outside the metaphorical box.

Anyway the Sanctuary's concept was developed after The Smiler, and was intended as part of the crescendo leading to the ride's opening. Once the ride has opened, The Sanctuary will be quickly forgotten and The Smiler's real persona will hopefully be unleashed full-on: music, lights and all.

Dave said:
from the pre-batching video...

"You will find that modernisation is not apparent in The Sanctuary.... This is to allow us to assess where our processes previously went wrong before launching our new project in 2013"

The Sanctuary was a failed experiment that they are re-running to see where it went wrong so their new technique isn't affected. The Sanctuary is a prequel to The Smiler which is actually only mentioned ONCE in the maze.

The Smiler appears to be a commercial entity. Essentially the mass-market version of marmalisation and therefore the quirky and colourful uniform matches. You wouldn't want 'white coat syndrome' when trying to cheer someone up.

Dear lord, they are actually visually offensive.

I imagine at some point there was a clear vision to create something 'quirky' and different, but either the budget or some imaginations didnt spread far enough.

If I were a staff member working on the smiler, Id be requesting a team change!

So what if they 'fit'.

And yes, the changes aren't that big written down, but in the flesh, they are. It's daft.

But we're just being "quick to jump in and criticise", which of course, is not allowed, we must all be uberfans who love everything.

Blaze said:
So what if they 'fit'.

And yes, the changes aren't that big written down, but in the flesh, they are. It's daft.

But we're just being "quick to jump in and criticise", which of course, is not allowed, we must all be uberfans who love everything.

I remember our big debates about how i hated Th13teen and you loved it... Same thing really.

Everyones entitled to an opinion but the whole point is we debate them, i'm getting sick of people labeling those who are positive as "fan-boys" and then others labeling those who are negative as "trolls".

It's clearly a marmite theme but i will defend it as i like it, including the uniform. It at the moment is ticking all the boxes Th13teen failed to do and is interesting. Doesn't mean people can't disagree with me but then expect a reply.

Would be a boring forum without it really.

We really are having to dig deep into the Continuity text books here to find ways to link these themes together.

The Sanctuary, and The Smiler do not fit together. It is as simple as that.

As for The Sanctuary being forgotten, I hope not, as after this years run through it actually became one of, if not my favourite attraction on the entire park!

I'd love to know what is cliche about a Doctor treating you also. That isn't cliche, it is something that adds credibility to a theme. If you make it too out there, people don't get it, and it loses it's effect!

Sometimes, you can be different for differents sake.

No one is going to convince me this is the best use of this theme or ride, ever, because it isn't - there are a million better ways they could have implemented this to support the story, theme, and ride. It keeps getting worse.

Remember, you are talking to someone who professed love for the name, the theme, the idea, the intelligence, everything about it I adored!

Now with everything they release about it, I get more and more disappointed at a missed opportunity.

Imagine Nemesis with this ludicrous over the top nonsense, would it be so intimidating? - NO, of course it wouldn't, and you would not have one of the most respected rides in the world sat in that crater.

The Smiler could have had humour, sinister feel, some quirkiness - this is all way, way, way to OTT. It's like they gave a five year old two colour crayons and asked it to design the damn ride!!

Dave said:
It's clearly a marmite theme but i will defend it as i like it, including the uniform. It at the moment is ticking all the boxes Th13teen failed to do and is interesting. Doesn't mean people can't disagree with me but then expect a reply.

You like the theme for all the reasons I hate it, absolutely hate it - strong for me, but as a subject matter, they could have used real researched techniques to create something truly terrifying with this coaster... maybe those who don't realise this, don't have an interest in this aspect of psychology, which is fair enough - but when you do, and understand the affect it can have on how you think and feel, instead of pretending to be this theme - they could have ACTUALLY USED it!

Imagine that for a moment.

They got New Scientist to come out and say they are using these "techniques"... they aren't, it is the bog standard same on every coaster, and this will not heighten it beyond what the track itself does - but the theme could have done.

It is a missed chance, and the people who like it (fair enough of course, being measured a minute), should consider though what a ride this could have been if they steered a course from the quirky (which again, I like on it's own merits, not masquerading as psychology - SW6 all over again) - and actually implemented more of the subtle psychological tricks that would have taken this from something without any credibility in theme, to something people were truly intimidated by theme wise, without ever realising why.

An absolute waste.

I dont care if the stories fit. I just wish the uniform cost more than £6.50 from Primark.

Posted at about 10 this morning:

72745_541123645918818_1082657705_n.jpg

734265_541124642585385_1950855414_n.jpg

150405_541125719251944_1376253774_n.jpg

More safety barriers going in:
577552_541126912585158_1804493482_n.jpg

Another track piece being put up (@ about 12PM)
310508_541143925916790_409881531_n.jpg

Making sure them bolts are tight!:
488040_541144872583362_2001724068_n.jpg

Another piece being lifted into place (about 12PM):
207447_541150599249456_1499805169_n.jpg

Sensor on the track - interesting:
579915_541156362582213_360057553_n.jpg

And a Panorama image for you:
554949_541163959248120_461745249_n.jpg

All images taken from The Alton Towers Guide Facebook page.

Dave said:

You like the theme for all the reasons I hate it, absolutely hate it - strong for me, but as a subject matter, they could have used real researched techniques to create something truly terrifying with this coaster... maybe those who don't realise this, don't have an interest in this aspect of psychology, which is fair enough - but when you do, and understand the affect it can have on how you think and feel, instead of pretending to be this theme - they could have ACTUALLY USED it!

Imagine that for a moment.

They got New Scientist to come out and say they are using these "techniques"... they aren't, it is the bog standard same on every coaster, and this will not heighten it beyond what the track itself does - but the theme could have done.

It is a missed chance, and the people who like it (fair enough of course, being measured a minute), should consider though what a ride this could have been if they steered a course from the quirky (which again, I like on it's own merits, not masquerading as psychology - SW6 all over again) - and actually implemented more of the subtle psychological tricks that would have taken this from something without any credibility in theme, to something people were truly intimidated by theme wise, without ever realising why.

An absolute waste.

Anyway, amazing pictures, it will still be a fantastic coaster - but now it will be based on the track and not the theme. It could have been both, brilliantly.

I know what this theme could have been, thought it may well be, and it clearly isn't going to be. I can assure those who don't get it, it is a wasted chance beyond what you can imagine.

I haven't dipped into any capacious bucket to see continuity TheMan, i have pointed out to you where the two attractions are meant to meet which is the Marmalisation scene.

It doesn't seem that stretched to me but then i like dystopian stories like 1984 so maybe i just "get it".

As for the GP, Wardley is strict on his rides not depending on the story to get enjoyment out of it so i doubt it will matter much.

The theme works because it plays on a dark theme but is trying to make it acceptable so people would subject themselves to social conformity. It's a much scarier idea than throwing spinning blades at people from a psychological point of view. It's very 1984 which is not a happy concept, it's also not complete yet so we have no idea what techniques they are using, You just seem fixated on the car-wash.

Just to clarify my position here, and make sure I'm not seen as some kind of "troll / hater"... The track looks amazing. The uniforms do not.

Got bored reading the same argument as a fortnight ago. So if someone else has mentioned this, I apologise.

I like the uniforms for the same reason I like the name: they don't fit in. Who is expecting bright uniforms in a supposed correction facility?

Just a quick mood board I've thrown together using various bits of what we know about The Smiler.

06184fa370cd43aaaf2d293.png

Love 'em or hate 'em there's no denying that they are perfectly suited to the rest of the project that we've seen so far, and while they may be quirky and different they go hand in hand with the rest of the ride in making a sinister theme with that unique Towers twist.

Regardless of the uniforms, back story or continuity we are getting a beast of a rollercoaster here. I am yet to see it in person and probably wont until construction is complete but the sheer visual impact that it has is impressive. I've not seen a coaster quite so impressive since I was about 8 years old, standing on tiptoes to look over a fence at a giant crater in the ground and massive black track that just disappeared into nothing. It certainly is on oblivions scale with that respect.

I've found that I am a lot happier not looking for a "backstory" when it comes to coasters and just like to get lost in the atmosphere of the ride. Backstories, unless pulled off to perfection, just cause confusion - in my opinion the vastly superior Haunted House had very little back story (that I know of) in comparison to the forced Duel (scientist did what now?!) Even the best rides with backstories are relatively simple - I'm thinking Tower of Terror and Expedition Everest - which really have very little backstory or explanation as to what and why they're there.

I spent the majority of Thirteens construction hoping and looking for a story arc, trying to link the adverts to the wraiths and to the forest fighting back but it never really happened. My first ride on the ride was a disappointing one because I was trying to figure out why all of what was happening was happening. Now though I've done away with the story and focus on the ambiance - and find I love the thing.

I'm taking the same approach to The Smiler. Odd experiment, quirky uniforms with a threatening undertone. No idea how it all ties in with the Sanctuary (which give it a year and the scare maze no longer operates will be forgotten by all but those on these forums) but I will enjoy it nonetheless.

DiogoJ42 said:
Just to clarify my position here, and make sure I'm not seen as some kind of "troll / hater"... The track looks amazing. The uniforms do not.

I couldn't give a monkeys what anyone thinks of my opinions to be honest mate, but on the whole I agree with that too. I found myself with a few others defending aspects of it before that others didn't like - which is why I find it odd to now seemingly be on the other side of the fence lol!

Anyway, regardless, theme is subjective in terms of enjoyment - some like it others wont, just like with the name etc before - I liked it straight away. I still like it.

The ride, theme, everything I love for its quirkiness - take The Sanctuary link away etc and I love it.

The wash brushes are an example of dumbed down feature set by the way to answer that question. I feel they have done that with the entire theme, and I still don't get why. As soon as they started using New Scientists and quoting psychologists, that is when (along with the car wash element ;) ) that I really started to get annoyed with it.

On it's own though, all those things aside, it looks fun, quirky, daft and amusing - which I still think is ridiculous given how it should have supported the fact it is one of the most intense looking coasters ever developed.

Oblivion or Nemesis would have been daft with a less than sinister theme. I cannot understand why this should have been any different. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, said my piece, respect others who like the theme - I don't.

EDIT:

If when it is finished, it has a different feel to what I am expecting, much like my disappointment with The Sanctuary run through last year compared to this years, I will be very, very happy indeed. I hope I am proven wrong. My concerns the track etc would look out of place next to Oblivion was clearly wrong (as joyfully pointed out by a few members on Saturday lol!) - no one will be happier than I, should that be the case again, believe me.

Are we sure this is not Ents trying to pull something together on the cheap? Somehow I can't see this as a ride op uniform, it looks more like something pulled out of the costume cupboard? :) :S

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.