• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Track looks awesome... Costumes not so much, I can see where they are going, but in pictures, it just seems silly, maybe in person it'll look better.

I think the uniforms would look a bit better with more buckles and straps, bit more straight jacket style, more OTT crazy.

Its hard to say what they look like in this context, when in the station, they may look a thousand fold better, but in the surroundings they are currently in,they just look a bit daft.

Wilsy said:
Surprised at the few anti-uniform comments. It looks really good, pretty high quality and the staff who wore it today did a really good job at getting into character.

Any themed uniform is better than the generic red uniform that everyone else wears.
Thing is, it looks like the uniform in question, and in particular the female member of staff seen in the (only) photo posted here, has come straight from the set of Channel 5's children's show, Milkshake from around 2000. As someone else stated, it's more akin to CCL that XS.
Yes, we may not know exactly what the area is going to look like come May, but I still hold my opinion that this choice of uniform simply isn't quality, like N:ST is. It's strange, and looks like a children's television presenters choice of dress up, and not what you'd expect from The Smiler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

T said:
It's strange, and looks like a children's television presenters choice of dress up, and not what you'd expect from The Smiler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not true T. It is exactly what you expect from The Smiler. Colours match, quirkiness matches, style matches, it is exactly right.

And is the natural progression from watching the marm vids (removed something just in case lol)...

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Dar said:
They will all be in the ride station, making smiles.

Making smiles?

What is this nonsense?

The idea is to make people smile, no? The ride ops "character" will be as an operative of the Ministry of Joy, making smiling advocates of the riders.

Roger Ramrod said:
DiogoJ42 said:
"Quirky" is not a work I have ever associated with X Sector. It belongs in the family areas of the park (where I would have no problem with it), along with "whimsical", "wacky" and "silly".
X Sector, to me, should be along the lines of "serious", "forboding", "sinister", "ominous" or even "Orwellian".

It was serious, foreboding, sinister and ominous. In 1998, when it opened. It's now 2013. Theme parks and theme park areas can't remain static. They can't be stuck in time, they have to evolve. Whereas X-Sector's theme was probably highly original in the paranoid late 90s, it's a bit cliché now (through no fault of its own). The 'sinister government facility' thing has been done to death over the last fifteen years in all sorts of mediums.

That simply means it's time for a change. What shocked in 1998 seems very pedestrian now. The Smiler isn't abandoning that theme, but evolving it, adding a fresh new twist. It's bolstering the theme of X-Sector, not detracting from it. It's the next natural step on from Oblivion and the X-Sector of 1998. It's X-Sector 2.0.

You're right! Out with the old in with the new. And while we're at it, I'm going to paint yellow smiley faces on all the figures in Francis Bacon paintings, re-write all of Shakespeare's tragedy's with happy endings, carve an effigy of Dot Cotton onto the genitals of Michelangelo's David, and rip up Beethoven's original scores to be replaced with dubstep! Blimey, I'm so quirky and unique Towers should hire me! ;)

I'm all for evolution, but not to the detriment of original masterpieces, and The Smiler, for me at least, looks set to become the potent destroyer of Oblivion. A ride with ideas about fear and what it is to fear, a piece of epic drama, a ride that perfectly utilizes anticipation to play on the mind followed by the pay-off of the drop, all encapsulated in a bleak, logo emblazoned landscape suggesting a secret higher power where you are but a number. The Smiler seems to take this and tear it apart by making it into a cheap cartoon. That's not to say a cartoon is bad, but in this case it is inappropriate as it starts to pull apart the intricate but subtle genius of X-Sector.

Maybe I'm clinging onto the past too much by moaning about these changes, but only as much someone would be over a beloved piece of art being reworked into something a whole lot less impressive.

In an ideal world The Smiler would have its own themed area, but as ever space remains an issue at Alton Towers and new rides have to be worked into the existing 90's themed areas.

We've seen it all before with Air, Spinball and Rita but hopefully they will be more successful at fitting this ride with the existing theme.

I would argue though that most of the original intent of the X-Sector theme was gone anyway even before they started building this ride, which has injected something into the area.

Me saying the uniform looks awful doesn't mean I don't think it works for the theme. I just think they look garish and ridiculous! I'm glad I'm not working there anymore!

I think we are seeing the uniform out of context to some extent - but as I have said before, I don't really care about how this relates to X Sector anymore as I have accepted that The Smiler will not be mimicking either The Sanctuary or Oblivion. :X

If you see The Smiler as a single entity, everything AT is doing is very unique, bizarre and public are liking it. The Smiler, much like the AT rides of the 1990's where originality was at the core, should be an obvious 'stand-out' attraction if AT want to wow the public. Whether you like the uniform or not (I am in no way being a fan boy here), this sort of stuff helps to differentiate AT from the pain old obvious stuff the industry churns out in this county year on year! :D ;)

It is not the perfect portrayal of the X Sector that everyone so affectionately loves - good, that idea was dead and buried about ten years ago. It is a nice relic of the past but lets move on, pay homage to the X Sector but don't try to be 1998 please. :)

Meat Pie said:
A ride with ideas about fear and what it is to fear, a piece of epic drama, a ride that perfectly utilizes anticipation to play on the mind followed by the pay-off of the drop, all encapsulated in a bleak, logo emblazoned landscape suggesting a secret higher power where you are but a number.
In concept, yes, exactly. It is a brilliant idea and still very strong today - in concept. But if you really feel all that 'drama' and all those powerful nuances channeled through Oblivion incarnate today then you can't be seeing past your own eyes. The ride fails to deliver the full experience that the theme intends, limited mostly by its age and presentation.

That does not stop it from being a brilliant ride; its impactful experience, dark persona and underlying black energy struck me before I was even tall enough to ride. Oblivion certainly still has strong effect, certainly still enjoyable, but somewhat unconvincing and in need of re-imagination. X Sector was designed with a very specific image that never seemed to materialise in the flesh as fully as its designers imagined - I question whether it was ever perfect in the first place, but such in the nature of theme parks as conceptual mediums.

If anything The Smiler will bring new energy to X Sector. My favouritism for Oblivion meant I was skeptical about The Smiler, especially with the initial unhumoured, grim industrial imagery, but since then I have realised The Smiler is right up my street anyway. Indeed it's different, and it's weird, causing others to hate it. But it's designed to be thematically weird in an enjoyable way that I, and probably the large majority of the public, will really enjoy.

X Sector 2.0? I agree totally. Thank you so much Alton Towers for not pulling another "Thunder Rock Ralley" or "Air oasis" conglomerate mess, and actually making effort to enhance X Sector's personality. I hope it turns out well.

I still don't quite understand the rubbish about The Smiler not fitting its own theme because The Sanctuary says so... They are two separate attractions. Two separate entities within the MOJ. Just because it references The Smiler has little to do with anything other than the fact that the maze is open because the ride isn't finished... If the ride were open, the maze would not be and nobody would be questioning the theme. As far as I am aware, The Sanctuary is a re-run of a decades old experiment from the MOJ and The Smiler is a modern day attempt at marmalisation. Therefore there should be no link in the finished ride and whatever The Sanctuary bangs on about should be largely irrelevant.

I am still baffled as to how people can get so hung up over a uniform (out of context and location) and a theme which we haven't experienced yet and truly know nothing about... Have an open mind, you won't be disappointed. If people concoct all sorts of thematic ideas in their heads then you will never like the ride.

To follow up on what Scott has said about The Sanctuary:

Yes, the themes of The Sanctuary and The Smiler are linked, that's obvious. However the themes are not the same. If you think the themes are identical then you are merely kidding yourselves. The Sanctuary is a facility from 50 years ago or so, therefore all of the methods they use in there are dated. It has re-opened so that the Ministry of Joy can help to gain a better understanding of what went wrong. Dr Kelman is the founding member of The Sanctuary, not the founding member of the MOJ. I think that is important to remember.

So The Sanctuary is using methods that are half a century out of date. The MOJ have now decided to create a new device to try and make people smile, this is The Smiler. This once again uses marmalisation, but the methods used this time around are modernised. The Smiler will be a completely new idea of how to correct people and make them smiling advocates. It will not try and do it in the same was as The Sanctuary does/did. The MOJ will have decided to change lots of things, they will have abolished the things that didn't work in the past. Therefore although the basic theme of making people smile remains, the methods and style of the theme will have changed and become much more modernised. Therefore anyone expecting The Smiler to be The Sanctuary part 2 is mistaken.

Also, it's probably worth noting that in terms of planning at Towers, the theme for The Smiler was probably finalised before the theme for The Sanctuary.

:)

Rob said:
Dr Kelman is the founding member of The Sanctuary, not the founding member of the MOJ. I think that is important to remember.

Quick question: does this mean Dr Kelman won't have anything to do with The Smiler? Would be a shame to waste such a good character.

AshleeKel said:
Rob said:
Dr Kelman is the founding member of The Sanctuary, not the founding member of the MOJ. I think that is important to remember.

Quick question: does this mean Dr Kelman won't have anything to do with The Smiler? Would be a shame to waste such a good character.

I imagine he will be hinted at but Dr Kelman was a creation of Alton Towers entertainments and not Merlin Studios. I think they have noted his popularity though so it wouldn't surprise me if he appears in some context around the ride.

To be honest I want Dr Kelman to appear but I really want The Lord of Darkness to return. I could really see that character as the dark force behind the MoJ.

Dave said:
AshleeKel said:
Rob said:

I imagine he will be hinted at but Dr Kelman was a creation of Alton Towers entertainments and not Merlin Studios. I think they have noted his popularity though so it wouldn't surprise me if he appears in some context around the ride.

To be honest I want Dr Kelman to appear but I really want The Lord of Darkness to return. I could really see that character as the dark force behind the MoJ.

I don't know...the Lord of Darkness is very much a character very relevant to Oblivion's identity. The Smiler so far is quite different. It would be great if Kelman appears in the in-queue videos, should they decide to have them.

Doctor Kelman features in the game, so I imagine he would be alluded to. Maybe along the lines of his work in the Sanctuary laying the foundations for the work the Smiler is trying to achieve.

I'd like to think that the Lord of Darkness is Oblivion's overseer, like Kelman and the Sanctuary. Both answering to a higher mysterious power within the Ministry.

The Lord of Darkness, building The Smiler?

Is there any relevance left with this ride at all?

Oh and good on Alton Towers for making Dr K. He is the best part of this entire idea so far (excluding the track). Should have given the theme design to the in house staff who did The Sanctuary, they clearly have far more of a clue than Merlin Studios as I cannot stand the ridiculous theme for The Smiler.

Again, as for this comment:

electricBlll said:
but somewhat unconvincing and in need of re-imagination.

Riiiiiight, sorry this is annoying me beyond belief now.

So because you are now essentially bored of the theme, everyone else is?

I know you don't mean it like this Bill you are a nice poster, but that gives absolutely no thought to new riders whom do not feel the same.

They have not experienced it, and to them it is still deeply imposing, impactful and terrifying.

It's like reading, because I've enjoyed it I want a change now. I don't, because I still take notice of how new riders behave and act around a ride that instills fear and foreboding into all the but the most bolshy of riders.

The Smiler is now all over The Sanctuary and Dr K. talks about it right the way through the maze, I won't sit here in this debate having my argument ridiculed because you refuse to accept the way THEY chose to present the link, before you had a point I reluctantly accepted, and now you simply don't, yet you are clinging on to this idea the two have pretty much nothing to do with each other, and suggesting maybe LoD had something to do with it?!

That's the time you know the theme makes no sense anymore.

Attraction in it's own right? Brilliant.

Attraction the way they are selling it, and incorporating a mish mash of themes and ideas? AWFUL.

Moving on, Im really happy with this ride. It isnt an overly gimmick coaster and looks stunning. It will be as iconic as Corkscrew was. They listened to us when we asked for a good coaster that didnt rely on gimmicks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

We can only wait and see what the end result will be, though it is typical for many people to look at an image (Smiler outfit I'm looking at you) and point out that it degrades the attraction, even though we are quite notorious to jump on the bandwagon rather quickly :p. Can we not just wait for the ride to open and then start reviewing it? :/

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.