• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

Yup, will have to wait for the next TT flight to get a better understanding.

Nice little marketing shoe-in on the offical AT Twitter :p

A-8X9R_CIAAyw1V.jpg

Wow. They really spoil us with information ::)

Good. I like that we know nothing. This is what we were crying out for three years ago.

I like the idea of not knowing, but AT really should be making use of the crimbo television slots to drum up some excitement. Hope to see something over the next few days at the least.

BigDave said:
I like the idea of not knowing, but AT really should be making use of the crimbo television slots to drum up some excitement. Hope to see something over the next few days at the least.

Unfortunately, Christmas TV slots are prohibitively expensive, and it's simply too soon. The public's mind is much too busy at the moment.

What zoom factor is on that shot through the trees please?

DiogoJ42 said:
Wow. They really spoil us with information ::)
The park gave us access to pretty much everything during TH13TEEN's construction and forums still managed to create a ride that didn't exist so I'll take this as a good thing.

Teaser campaigns for a major new ride can happen during Christmas. Get people online and booking tickets in advance. In theory, you can advertise a new ride as soon as plans are approved, because advance booking doesnt mean that you have to wait until the ride is already open before you advertise it. Also Christmas slots might be very expensive, but we are talking about a multi million pound company here and not some small fairground.

I cant see many people seeing an advert for a new ride in December that doesnt open till March and thinking "yea lets book some tickets for that now", its far too early. The only type of marketing we will see soon is for the geeks and will all be online, then when it gets nearer the time it will go much more main stream.

The photo was taken from outside the park on the road that runs to Alton village, its really hard to work out what is where from that side of the park, for ages I thought I saw the new ride until I worked out it was Oblivion :p But if you look close enough when walking past you can see the track quite easy, its hard to get any decent photos because the camera keeps focusing on the trees.

Alton won't advertise this on TV til March.

It would be stupid.

Advertising is for a product. You advertise something you've got. Teasers don't work, see Oblivion marketing strategy re.focus groups from the magic factory documentary.

Advertising works when you see a huge ride shot, of a huge thrill machine.

They may advertise from late Feb, given this ride opens in the middle of March.

:)

Johno said:
Alton won't advertise this on TV til March. Advertising is for a product. You advertise something you've got. Teasers don't work, see Oblivion marketing strategy re.focus groups from the magic factory documentary.

but advertising and marketing has changed a lot since Oblivion's day and things have progressed. I think teasers may work very well now, but not necessarily on TV, but rather Youtube.

oliviamaeae said:
Johno said:
Alton won't advertise this on TV til March. Advertising is for a product. You advertise something you've got. Teasers don't work, see Oblivion marketing strategy re.focus groups from the magic factory documentary.

but advertising and marketing has changed a lot since Oblivion's day and things have progressed. I think teasers may work very well now, but not necessarily on TV, but rather Youtube.

I was referring to teasers on TV specifically.

I think youtube teasers are likely.

Im sorry but why wouldn't advertising now work? Are some of you not already planning visits to over seas parks? To us a trip to Alton Towers might be planned a few days in advance, to the general public who have to travel miles and fork out a load of money, a trip to the park is a big deal and needs a lot of planning. Other large parks are already running fairly large advertising campaigns for their new attractions, so why should the UK's number one park be any different?

Its only 3 months away, 11 weekends if I've worked it out correct. Its hardly a year away is it?

BigDave said:
Im sorry but why wouldn't advertising now work? Are some of you not already planning visits to over seas parks? To us a trip to Alton Towers might be planned a few days in advance, to the general public who have to travel miles and fork out a load of money, a trip to the park is a big deal and needs a lot of planning. Other large parks are already running fairly large advertising campaigns for their new attractions, so why should the UK's number one park be any different?

Its only 3 months away, 11 weekends if I've worked it out correct. Its hardly a year away is it?

Because generally the Uk parks don't attract the overseas crowds that DLP etc. do. Understandably of course.

Advertising the product now is not as effective as advertising it closer to the time. It just isn't. Advertising costs money, which is limited.

Note how the advertising for sub-terra and alton towers in general, isn't on such a great scale as say advertising for coke.

Anyone who believes that Alton will have TV slots 9-5 for 6 months is living in cloud cuckoo land to be honest...

I wouldn't be surprised to see the smiling face logo appearing in blipverts (with a fitting URL) in the New Year, before a longer advert linking it to the ride and the park later down the line.

Doing some kind of TV advert over Christmas could easily be seen as a waste of money from Towers point of view I reckon. Lots of people will see it, but I think it is too far away from opening for enough people to think about planning a trip. They are better spending the majority of money set aside for the TV ad for it being shown in late February or early March. As Moley has said though, I guess it is possible we may see some very short and relatively inexpensive blipverts earlier than this, and I personally feel that would be a great idea.

:)

That is pretty much exactly what I mean. The air teasers lasted 10 seconds and yet had everything you needed to see in order to get people excited and looking at your website. A few simple teasers around new year would be great and get people looking at your new site. Get them signed up to updates using their email address, maybe run a competition or two and put a link to advance booking. Im sure the cost of a small, simple teaser advert can be justified.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.