• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

Probably because they are behind schedule. ;)

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse any ridiculous mistakes!

Fredward said:
Probably because they are behind schedule. ;)

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse any ridiculous mistakes!

What's the schedule then? Where should they be by now?

Track and most of the station should be finished. No excuse. Thirteen, a much smaller ride, was barely finished in time and was miles ahead of this.

Nobody knows the schedule, and so have no idea if they are behind schedule or not. AT probably wanted to wait until closed season to start putting up the track, and because SW7 had to have more time spent on the groundwork, the track would also have to wait until that was complete as well. Comparing this to Thirteen is not really appropriate, because they are completely different coasters made by two different manufactures, and so methods putting the coaster up could change how long it takes each to make.

I personally think it's a bit silly to say "You can't compare etc." as every single coaster is individual and we'd never have any concept of timescale if we went by that rule. Th13teen was a major coaster to construct and although we can expect to be a little behind (seeing as this is a much larger project) we do have to make an educated guess that we're vastly behind schedule. No, I don't have the exact timetable that Alton are running to but I can't believe they'd be happy at this stage in time.

I think Alton Towers are probably a lot happier after the last few weeks, things seem to be moving a lot quicker now.

I'm not worried, the construction teams will get it open on time.

I know riggers that could have this ride up within 48 hours if all the pieces were to the side of the location. It is an absolute nothing of a job providing every piece is identifiable. They will be taking their time as they feel they are able to.

Track started going up later than it should, I believe the should have started putting steel in midway through the last week of season but it was delayed. Though we have no idea where they are in the schedule now, as they have been working until quite late at night 7 days a week so they could have caught up.

I can't see how they will get it done in time (station building and queue ect) but I'm not a construction expert so how do I know. Towers could be quite confident in getting this done and they haven't had the cold weather Th13teen had (yet) and probably won't have weeks of testing as the trains go to fast (like Th13teen).

There's no doubt they should have started earlier but we don't know if they have successfully caught up or not.

If they are taking their time, because they feel as if they have it, why are they working over the Christmas/winter holidays as discussed earlier, They are putting the ride up as quickly as they are safely able. There is no benefit wasting time really, the quicker it's up the better.

It doesn't take 48 hours to put up a custom permanent rollercoaster. Perhaps a small fairground coaster.

All evidence points to them running late. If they were waiting for the closed season, they would have started putting it up the moment the closed season started, not a few weeks after.

Fredward said:
It doesn't take 48 hours to put up a custom permanent rollercoaster. Perhaps a small fairground coaster.

In terms of the crane-lifting aspect and excluding theming and station elements etc, it is achievable. I state it as an example of how rapidly they could progress if they really felt the need.

On the flip-side, and again considering ALL elements of the ride that need to be built - the only thing we can be reasonably confident of in terms of behind a nominal 'schedule', is the lack of marketing so far.

I imagine they never planned to market until January at the earliest, after all the only people who would pay attention to early closed season marketing are geeks and we all moaned about the over-hype with Th13teen.

Well since people like mentioning other rides so much, I'm not sure how many have had virtually nothing this close to opening.

It's not that close to opening, we still have over 2 months left! Technically we're still closer to the end of last season then the start of next season :p

Perhaps it's easier if you imagine this: The Swarm having this minimal level of marketing and being nameless at this point last year (SW7 is a similar financial investment after all).

Sub-Terra had its name revealed on 31 December last year, but I guess it is possible that it was decided that it was too early - or that they aren't 100% certain it's going to be ready on 16 March.

Thorpe Park and Alton Towers both market their new rides differently, they are both very different styles and after Thorpe's poor year I'd hope that the Alton Towers strategy proves to be more successful.

Sub-Terra's name was probably announced a bit earlier to build up more fan hype, due to the links with the Nemesis story.

The most important marketing is only ever done close to the opening of the ride, I'd much prefer the campaign focussed on that instead of small updates now which won't have much impact.

What was released about Thirteen at this point in 2009?

Just out of interest, did builders work over Christmas for nemesis, air, oblivion, 13 and rita?

Tom said:
What was released about Thirteen at this point in 2009?

A load of construction shots, secret weapon delivery promo and the name from memory.

From what they have moved so far I'm thinking they should be able to move everything over to site by late January.

Queue line isn't a problem, thirteens was done the night before from what I heard and the station shouldn't be a massive job (one week I would say tops to erect the building)

Are my ears deceiving me? Are you all seriously questioning if Alton will have it ready for opening day?

You are all forgetting something very important. Alton Towers is where the Magic never ends, its a magical place and im sure that if necessary, Merlin Magic will be used to get this ride open on time ;)

So panic not!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.