• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

What form of compensation will be offered to guests who have booked park tickets or hotel stays is currently unknown.

Is The Sanctuary still in situ? Bonus attraction to make up for it?

Ooh now that's an interesting thought! If it's being opened up for that corporate event next month or whatever that was... They could perhaps run it on a skeletal ents team, but I somehow don't think they'd have enough staff on hand more than anything!

Dean said:
http://www.altontowers.com/short-breaks/weekend/#Thrill

http://www.altontowers.com/short-breaks/midweek/#Thrill

It still states 16th March over on these pages, I think these have been missed...

Once these are removed it dead certain it's delayed...

This will be the new Rita now, I can see this have some soft openings like Rita did back in 2005, before it's official opening.
The hotels still think the ride will open on time. A Team member rung them yesterday and that's what they were saying - they also said bookings can be amended or cancelled up to the day before. So I don't see a possibly delay being too much problem for the resort side.

The hotels still think the ride will open on time. A Team member rung them yesterday and that's what they were saying - they also said bookings can be amended or cancelled up to the day before. So I don't see a possibly delay being too much problem for the resort side.

Add your Theme Park tickets to your booking and be one of the first to experience the Resort's newest rollercoaster SW7! Opens March 16th 2013!

It's only the text on the page I'm talking about... :)

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

Regarding compensation, there's not really any requirement for Towers to offer any - any attraction can be unavailable for any reason at any time, and this isn't really any different.

Could be that they're prepping the site for a change of some sort?

#optimisticthinking ???

I called the hotel this morning to enquire what the situation would be if bookings were made with the soul purpose of visiting the new ride and then a delay took place. The response was that the standard terms would apply (full payment if cancelled on day, half payment if 7 days prior etc.).

They seemed very coy when I asked if they knew of potential delays stating that 'all info about the new ride is still very much under wraps'. (If I'm honest I doubt this info would have filtered down to this level as yet anyway).

Interestingly both hotels are fully booked for the Sunday and Monday nights so there may well be a fair few disgruntled guests if a delay announcement is not made sooner rather than later.

this seems to me like a definate delay, but why?

I cannot realistically see trick track, despite what others have said, so this should really be a straightforward build.

it just points to very very poor planning, pssobily due to this being a rush job if they switched plans at the last minute (i.e. AIR carpark SW wasnt ready??)

Dean said:

It still states 16th March over on these pages, I think these have been missed...

This will be the new Rita now, I can see this have some soft openings like Rita did back in 2005, before it's official opening.

Interesting how on that page, Air, Nemesis and Oblivion are all called 'world beating' rollercoasters too, neither of which hold any world records really.

Jordan said:
Dean said:

Interesting how on that page, Air, Nemesis and Oblivion are all called 'world beating' rollercoasters too, neither of which hold any world records really.

Obviously referring to their status when they were first built though I imagine.

The Psychoaster said:
Jordan said:
Dean said:

Obviously referring to their status when they were first built though I imagine.

Either that or the new marketing director loves the phrase "world beating"! :p

I wonder if 'world beating' is the new 'ultimate'? It doesn't mean 'world's first' and it doesn't mean 'record beating', but it sounds like (and implies) both.

It's no surprise it has been delayed. It was no secret that this project has been rushed through a the last minute, these as Sub Terra was. Management admitted these mistakes, and yet still don't give new projects the time scale they deserve to get them right.

From Ride Rater

Alton Towers is maintaining that its new rollercoaster will be open for the start of the park’s main season on 16 March.

Confusion arose earlier today when a countdown to the ride’s opening was removed from its promotional page on the theme park’s website.

However, park staff are still currently advising guests that the ride “will be open” on the first day of the 2013 season, which this year has been set at 16 March.

Rumours of construction delays have dogged the project since late last year, but it is understood that contractors are still confident of achieving the ride’s handover in time.

The later than usual commencement of a marketing programme has also fuelled suspicion of delays with the rollercoaster, which will be a new variant of the Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter.

Wonder which "park staff" they have talked to to gauge the contractors opinions on the schedule?

That news article seems vague. Bearing on linkbait in my opinion. 'Park staff' could be anybody!

So far, nothing's been said by the park on Facebook or Twitter.

They are advising would-be bookers for 16 March that it will be open. Pre-recorded messages stating this remain and it's also the official line from those taking phone bookings.

If you want to go down the route of staff in certain positions not knowing what they are talking about, then it all comes from the top. If an order to remove the countdown came because the project has been delayed, it would be sheer incompetence to not issue and immediate brief to telephone staff and get the pre-recorded message changed.

Oh dear!! Alton Tower's you are beginning to look like numpties as this slowly is filtering out into the public domain.

Jordan said:

Morwenna take 2!

Nemesis was never "World Beating" to my knowledge, unless you class digging it into a pit lol!

The Hotel situation is an interesting one, they're fully booked up (as per the quotes above) for one reason alone - they'd have to acknowledge that, if they threw normal T&Cs at you, that would be harsh because of poor organisation on their part.

All speculation of course, the total opposite may still be true.

There are very few excuses for a project this small to be delayed if it is, other than terrible planning, which for an operation this size is inexcusable. SW6 was plagued with issues, technical, weather etc, and that still opened on time (I think marketing's hot air probably kept the site dry though ;D ).

This is of course, unless the site itself has thrown up something unexpected (perhaps they found a real Nemesis this time??!)

I do hope things go to plan for them though and they get it opened on time.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.