• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

I disagree that this is a large project Rob.

I didn't say it was a bad project, poor looking coaster etc, but in terms of SW, should be the least challenging of them all, thanks to an efficient coaster type.

Again context is key here, all other SWs opened on time with far more complex challenges, and all are worth more money than this one in their respective periods bar, curiously, SW6.

Whoever managed that project, planned for just about every eventuality time wise, because they pretty much had to deal with it! Site issues, weather, testing, it was a tremendous achievement to get that open in time! In comparison, this should be simple.

My post was also not that long, yours are certainly no shorter than my own, but I have the decency to read them before commenting on them. How are you supposed to offer opinions or counter opinions to someone else, if you can't be bothered to even take their point?

Move to a shorter one and comment on theirs, that's just good manners for goodness sake!

This also has to happen on time, or all out enthusiast wars will break out ;D

Cold turkey is not just for Christmas ;D

EDIT - Cleared up pointless double-posting. - Maggie x

Georgia, I agree that those lattice-type supports are probably for the vertical lift. I doubt they'd use such robust steelwork for just a station building unless it was 8 stories tall or something!

I've noticed how none of the "official" released pictures show the top end of the site yet... maybe they're hiding something? It would be an ideal place too, seeing as you can't see it from outside the park. Hmmm...

(Please shut up arguing)

even compared to their own projects such as Air, Nemmy, Blivvy and SW6 it is a small project by comparison.

If we are to believe that this will be taking the inversion record I'd say that's a pretty big deal compared to, say, Nemesis, which while a brilliant ride is just another inverted coaster at the end of the day.

EDIT: IN fact I even mentioned that the site may have thrown something up unexpected - wow how ignorant were you pair!

Less of the aggressive tone please ??? Also one-emoticon posts do not add anything to this discussion... constructive criticism please!

(Also, TheMan, I just broke your post on the previous page because I'm an idiot and the forum's being a bit silly...sorry about that... It'll get fixed soon :p)

Bear said:
Georgia, I agree that those lattice-type supports are probably for the vertical lift. I doubt they'd use such robust steelwork for just a station building unless it was 8 stories tall or something!

I've noticed how none of the "official" released pictures show the top end of the site yet... maybe they're hiding something? It would be an ideal place too, seeing as you can't see it from outside the park. Hmmm...

I'm certain those support/structures are either for the station or the cover part of the cut and cover. They were delivered at the same time as all of the other station steel, and are grey. Supports for the vertical lift would be black, I don't recall seeing anything in the plans stating otherwise. And I doubt that they would pain them on-site.

Also in regards to the top of the site, what they are hiding is a lack of progress! ;) You can see the top of the site from outside of the park with a good pair of binoculars and there really is nothing at all to be seen apart from diggers. I think groundwork is currently taking place up there.

:)

They are for the small beyond vertical drop to be contained within the indoor section.

Considering this is the largest project (in terms of track length) at Alton Towers.

I would say it's a large project. ;)

Surely pale grey supports with Black track would look a bit silly??
(someone yesterday on TT said it could be the top bit due to the tree line thing.. But surely Blacks ok.. and if they did use any colour it'd be green wouldn't it?.. as, correct me if I'm wrong, but leaves aren't generally grey.

Bear said:
(Please shut up arguing)
It's not arguing.. It's discussion :) It might get a bit heated and aggressive at times, but It's discussion all the same. Blame Alton :)

LiamC said:
Georgiaa said:
Finally caught up after a hefty amount of discussion, and this caught my eye..

0812122g.jpg

Looks similar to:

saw31.jpg

And:
galvestonpleasurepieran.jpg

But the 'ties' on the first image of the steel found on site (I don't know what to call it!) are much thicker found on, say, Saw: The Ride or Typhoon shown above. This could obviously mean it would be much capable of holding stronger forces and extra weight on a vertical lift.. so could that mean we actually have a launched lift as heavily rumoured?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm tired and brain no work as of late.

I think they're going to be thicker to allow for the supposedly new larger, heavier trains that will be being used rather than for a launched lift hill. If we see a launch on this, i think it will be horizontal rather than vertical. :)

These are the beams that hold up the covered queue line as can be seen on the plans :)

Coaster projects around the world get delayed. It happens from time to time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Tom said:
They are for the small beyond vertical drop to be contained within the indoor section.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a beyond vertical drop in-doors. The rumour was started by someone who was proved to be wrong about other things and there isn't the height clearence for a beyond vertical that a 4 row car could traverse.

I thought the rumour started because it was written on the planning documents.

Either way I agree it seems likely there won't be one.

OK I think I ought to clarify here, I am not saying the project is small, I am saying in context to multiple, and far more challenging constructions of SW projects, it will be ridiculous if this is behind schedule or delayed opening.

Unless, there is something not right with the site itself, or unexpected, which caused delays. They had some bad rain, but if some delay for weather was not factored in the guy in charge needs the boot. Over all, especially recently, the weather has been very kind in the context of winter construction.

Magrathea said:
(Also, TheMan, I just broke your post on the previous page because I'm an idiot and the forum's being a bit silly...sorry about that... It'll get fixed soon :p)

Don't worry dude I rarely say anything that important anyway ;D - and I have a spare orifice from which to eject some more opinions ha-ha :D

TheMan said:
OK I think I ought to clarify here, I am not saying the project is small, I am saying in context to multiple, and far more challenging constructions of SW projects, it will be ridiculous if this is behind schedule or delayed opening.

Unless, there is something not right with the site itself, or unexpected, which caused delays. They had some bad rain, but if some delay for weather was not factored in the guy in charge needs the boot. Over all, especially recently, the weather has been very kind in the context of winter construction.

How do you know it is not a challenging project though? Just because a Gerstlauer may be able to go up faster than a B&M doesn't go and make the whole of the project less challenging. I'm sure this is just as challenging as other coaster projects around the world. If anything the amount of major groundwork required for SW7 suggests that it is rather challenging.

Rob said:
How do you know it is not a challenging project though? Just because a Gerstlauer may be able to go up faster than a B&M doesn't go and make the whole of the project less challenging. I'm sure this is just as challenging as other coaster projects around the world. If anything the amount of major groundwork required for SW7 suggests that it is rather challenging.

The groundwork for this is nothing compared to Oblivion or Nemesis though.

EDIT: This from lewis97 on TT is food for thought.
Some ideas for you;
Could the indoor part of the ride give the illusion of certain elements, such as a beyond vertical drop, or multiple inversions, without actually doing them?
This could be extremely far fetched but is it possible it could be a backwards coaster... The repetition of spiral ideas representing a reversal, and so I've interpreted that quite literally Then there's the potential for so many world firsts then!
Spiralling has always been a repeated idea from the start of marketing with the DNA type track, and now with the spirals in The Smiler and on their own. This would link to roller coaster inversions, specifically barrel rolls/inline twists.
Finally, in relation to The Smiler logo, that smile could be forced on riders faced due to the G-Force the coaster might pull.

Rob said:

not only that but these trains are new for Gerstlauer so this is not like any other coaster they have built. Yes it is very similar however it has to support heavier trains. This is probably the reasoning for Gerstlauer wanting to be there when all track is put into place.

Bexbunce said:
not only that but these trains are new for Gerstlauer so this is not like any other coaster they have built. Yes it is very similar however it has to support heavier trains. This is probably the reasoning for Gerstlauer wanting to be there when all track is put into place.

Oblivion and air were completely new ride types. New trains, new everything.

I'm glad if this is getting delayed. I'd much rather wait and get a good experience than turn up on the 16th with high expectations and be greeted by a poor show. A late opening will be somewhat damaging to the park but it's the lesser of two evils when you consider opening an unfinished ride. If this is the decision Towers have decided to make, I believe it's the right one. We've had to wait this long already, what's a couple more weeks or whatever?

I wouldn't bother CupCakeMonster, logic has evaporated lol!!

Nemmy is a tiny pit, blivvy was clearly just a ready made sink hole, SW6 had been done before, and AIR was super simple as is clear from it's faultless operation since it opened ;D

New trains, slightly heavier track (compared to other Gerst...), and a far smaller pit than Nemmy is clearly harder to build because the track twists round a couple of extra times.

I'm very much looking forward to this coaster. It will hopefully be exciting, compact, thrilling and well themed - but Nemesis, Oblivion or Air it most certainly isn't.

CupCakeMonster said:
Oblivion and air were completely new ride types. New trains, new everything.

This is true but there is alot more track than with oblivion, 3 times the length track of oblivion. Also there is alot more theming than oblivion and the parts dont simply go in one direction. There are multiple parts of the track that intertwine unlike oblivion.

They should however have planned exactly which piece of track goes up 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc so should be pretty straight forward however we do have to remember its not a bog standard eurofighter

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.